General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:41 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

There is a conversion chart in the back of the service manual to help.

The following users liked this post:
Streetbobber75 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

A note of caution to those of you who are new to using a torque wrench:
Please make sure to verify if torque needed /specified is in inch pounds or foot pounds. They are different and it does make a HUGE difference. If you use the wrong one, you will either leave it too loose or so tight that you could break the fastener or strip the threads.

I concur on recommending the Harbor Freight line of torque wrenches. As a matter of fact, they have just come out with a professional line of them that is even better, albeit more expensive, than their basic torque wrench, which already have high marks/reviews for accuracy and reliability. They also carry a digital torque tool that can be added to any wrench to fasten accurately.

I myself use an old school beam torque wrench to periodically test my click-type torque wrenches. It works well for the type of shade-tree mechanical work that I do.

Streetbobber75 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Streetbobber75
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
All torque wrenches whether foot or inch pounds are notoriously inaccurate at the lowest setting. Might also be inaccurate at the highest settings, although I do not know this for a fact. Inexpensive torque wrenches are, as you would expect, somewhat inaccurate. Consequently, since most torque specs give a range of torque for any given bolt, it is always best to torque to the lowest number within that range, especially for a bolt that has already been installed and removed for servicing.

I recently had one of my better but not expensive torque wrenches assessed by a local guy who does this for the auto service departments. It was low by five foot-pounds. Our home torque wrenches should never be trusted to be precisely accurate.

Very good to know

Old 01-06-2019, 01:52 AM
Streetbobber75
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all who answered my post. Alot of helpful info. Got the Rocker Boxes all put back together now. Have a few other things Im going to do while I've got the tank off then the true test. Fire it up. Fingers crossed this rookie did everything right. Lol

Also installing a quick-disconnect in my fuel cross-over line. Hopefully that will make it a bit cleaner next time I pull my tank.

Last edited by Streetbobber75; 01-06-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:09 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

When I got my bike and started to look at the various torque settings I went and purchased a 1/4" drive and a 3/8" drive torque wrench to cover the very low to mid range settings.

By have a low weight torque wrench means I am using its mid range setting to hopefully get a more accurate setting as someone has already pointed out.

I use Nm to eliminate any confusion between in-lbs and ft-lbs settings. As an example doing a primary oil change sees me do the derby cover up to 10Nm and the drain plug 20Nm, not 84 in-lbs and 14 ft-lbs respectively.

Streetbobber75 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

Couple of suggestions. First for torque wrenches.... always crank the micrometer setting back to zero when done. Don't forget to check local supply houses... those who supply machine shops or manufacturers... they often have tools that are a couple steps above harbor freight and less than Snap-On or Mac. I got an inch pound on sale for less than $50.
Get a three ring binder and record all your repairs, maintenance, services... and accessories. This will be good info to refer back to and keep track of things. I also have plastic sleeves I stick accessories instructions in.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Another torque wrench tip... use common sense

There are 2.7 million twisted off derby cover screws that the user kept waiting to hear that "CLICK"

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Another torque wrench tip... use common sense

There are 2.7 million twisted off derby cover screws that the user kept waiting to hear that "CLICK".

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
I've never twisted one off, but I'm not waiting to hear that "CLICK".

Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Unloaded ?

I was always taught to run the torque setting down to the lowest setting on the wrench for storage. I've only seen it once but I have seen the spring come loose from running it down "all the way".

Old 01-06-2019, 01:40 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I was always taught to run the torque setting down to the lowest setting on the wrench for storage. I've only seen it once but I have seen the spring come loose from running it down "all the way".
That is what Spartanden and I referred to 0 = Zero = Unloaded.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Question