General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Bluetooth Communications

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRC
Cardo
Cardo is the correct answer

I'm using a Freedom 2 dual set I bought off of amazon - it was the best price.

Sena is NOT water proof

Old 01-08-2019, 08:28 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks all. Im taking a big look at the cardo now. The vid comparisons between the two have been swaying me

Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife and I recently picked up Sena 20s EVOs. We looked into Cardos and have nothing bad to say about them, the EVOs had a random price drop on Amazon one day and we picked up a dual set for a steal.

As for them working, we love them for what we do. We are never going to be in a group intercom of more than 4 or 5 riders, it can connect to others with Cardos and other companies. The sound quality has been great to this point and the range worked well. We only got separated by about a quarter mile on our last ride and the connection stayed.

Happy Researching.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Looks to be 3 different versions of the recommended packtalk. Can someone summarize the differences and which is recommended?

Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
Looks to be 3 different versions of the recommended packtalk. Can someone summarize the differences and which is recommended?
You said this in your original post, "Looking to purchase some phone/music headset for the helmet"

Based upon this, you don't need a Packtalk at all.
A Freedom unit will do music and phone connection.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Yes primary use will be music and gps nav. Though i would like to make sure i could talk to others if needed

Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Looking to purchase some phone/music headset for the helmet and wanted to ask which was better Sena or Boom?
SENA makes the Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio bluetooth headsets. SENA also makes the H-D Wireless Headset Interface Module, or WHIM.

Originally Posted by MarkinMO
I seem to recall a previous thread on this topic where it was stated that only the HD branded sets would give stereo output. I'm sure someone with direct knowledge will chime in.
That is correct. First, you cannot pair any bluetooth headset to a Harley-Davidson unless the bike has the WHIM. Then, when you pair your bluetooth headset to the WHIM, the WHIM checks to see if the headset is a H-D BOOM Audio headset. If it is, the WHIM will connect in full stereo. If not, the WHIM will downgrade the audio to monaural.

Originally Posted by adm
I've been doing some research on this recently. I currently have custom moulded earplugs with bluetooth and they are great for music, phone (which I never use) and wind noise protection - but I want something for group communication when on group rides.

To my mind, it looks like the Sena 30K is about the best out there right now - the killer feature is the mesh intercom which lets an almost unlimited number of riders talk freely - and the more there are, the further the range is. Each 30K unit amplifies and redistributes the signal, so you get a self healing mesh network. Note that for this super cool feature to work, the other riders need the same piece of kit. Of course, it is backwards compatible with Sena kit and other brands of intercoms as well.

It also has general and private channels. For my use this is great as if I am road crew on a ride, I can talk privately with the other crew and we can use the general channel for everyone for general chat.

I know you are only looking for tunes and phone, but the 30K looks like a great unit and I am about to buy one. Have a look at it before you buy something else.
The SENA 30K has turned out to be an absolute disaster. The mesh technology will not work unless all the other riders have 30k's, and then it barely works. The 30k's are being returned by many, many owners.

If you want a SENA, and you want to be able to connect to your bike in both stereo and high def audio, then your only choice is the BOOM Audio 20S Evo. The BOOM Audio 20s will also connect in stereo, but not high def audio. Keep in mind, you're on a motorcycle and not in a Lexus. so that's not necessarily a fail.

If being able to easily connect to other bikes is more important to you than listening to music from your bike in real stereo, then the Cardo Packtalk Bold is the one to get. If you have your music loaded on your phone, then the Cardo will absolutely play that music in full stereo.

The following 2 users liked this post by IdahoHacker:
BigDawgQC (01-09-2019), DanRC (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:54 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain

Yes primary use will be music and gps nav. Though i would like to make sure i could talk to others if needed
Well, you need to decide just how many others you will want to talk to. I use a Freedom 2 - because I only want to speak with my passenger, use the phone, GPS or FM radio.
I don't do group rides much, if I do they have to use hand signals for unplanned stuff

I really suggest looking at buying from Amazon vs say RevZilla because Revzilla has a pretty limited return policy on these units.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:41 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

mmmm ...looks like the cardo is the way to go ..interesting!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM
riverbound51
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my latest bike (Ultra Limited) just before last years (2018) Run for the Wall. I wanted to be wireless and used my existing Sena 20S and the new Sena Freewire which plugs into the 7 pin connector on the tank. The system allowed me to talk to other Sena users in our group as well as listen to my XM, Nav and CB. The system started off well but after a few days of long riding I found that my battery on the headset was only lasting about half a day. I switched back to the corded Harley Headset, after about 7 days into our month long ride and gave up on the Sena setup.

Within the last couple of months, I bought the the new Shoei Neotec II which is made to work with the Sena SRL. I figured I would try the Freewire again, since I own it anyways. With the new SRL and software updates, I am able to listen to my Boom Stereo, Navigation, CB and others who have the Sena. The battery problem seems to have been on my older 20S, because I am now getting a full days ride out of the new setup. I run the power for the Freewire into the power outlet inside the topcase along with the 7 pin wiring inside the topcase, which runs up into the fairing. The power switches on and off with the bike. This allows me to be wireless and completely connected to the features within the Boom system. I am pretty happy with this system but....on long rides, I carry the corded setup just in case.

Quick Reply: Helmet Bluetooth Communications