General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Bluetooth Communications

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

As long as you don't mind the less than invisible mounting, the Freewire is a home run for Harley owners. Not only is it only $250, but it DOES NOT check to see whether or not your headset is an "official" Harley headset, and shut off your stereo sound and drop you down to walkie-talkie quality audio. The only thing you give up is that your passenger, if you have one, can't hear the infotainment system outputs. Your headsets can obviously communicate with each other or other paired bluetooth riders, the passenger just can't hear gps instructions, etc..

Old 01-12-2019, 01:10 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Do any helmets come w the cardo built in?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM
riverbound51
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
As long as you don't mind the less than invisible mounting, the Freewire is a home run for Harley owners. Not only is it only $250, but it DOES NOT check to see whether or not your headset is an "official" Harley headset, and shut off your stereo sound and drop you down to walkie-talkie quality audio. The only thing you give up is that your passenger, if you have one, can't hear the infotainment system outputs. Your headsets can obviously communicate with each other or other paired bluetooth riders, the passenger just can't hear gps instructions, etc..
Your are right. The sound is the same quality as with my corded set up.

For the Sena wireless setup, my 7 pin wire runs from inside the fairing, under the tank and seat and into the topcase. I had to buy a longer line, from Sierra Electronics to do this. It is a clean set up and not visible. A passenger can still plug into the 7 pin in the back. If they wanted to be wireless, this would require a complete duplicate freewire setup.

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:45 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
SENA makes the Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio bluetooth headsets. SENA also makes the H-D Wireless Headset Interface Module, or WHIM.

That is correct. First, you cannot pair any bluetooth headset to a Harley-Davidson unless the bike has the WHIM. Then, when you pair your bluetooth headset to the WHIM, the WHIM checks to see if the headset is a H-D BOOM Audio headset. If it is, the WHIM will connect in full stereo. If not, the WHIM will downgrade the audio to monaural.

The SENA 30K has turned out to be an absolute disaster. The mesh technology will not work unless all the other riders have 30k's, and then it barely works. The 30k's are being returned by many, many owners.

If you want a SENA, and you want to be able to connect to your bike in both stereo and high def audio, then your only choice is the BOOM Audio 20S Evo. The BOOM Audio 20s will also connect in stereo, but not high def audio. Keep in mind, you're on a motorcycle and not in a Lexus. so that's not necessarily a fail.

If being able to easily connect to other bikes is more important to you than listening to music from your bike in real stereo, then the Cardo Packtalk Bold is the one to get. If you have your music loaded on your phone, then the Cardo will absolutely play that music in full stereo.
That right there is enough reason for me not to buy a Harley with the Bluetooth system.

I had so much trouble with Sena trying the 30K and 20S that I gave up on them, after 3 years of loving a SMH10R, and went to a cheap no name Bluetooth Headset from Amazon for $55.

I may try a Cardo next, but based on the above I won't be buying a Harley to talk to it.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:47 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I started out with an SMH-10, and I liked it so much I later moved up to a 10-S. Still good, but pairing became kind of a pain. When I upgrade again, it will be to a Cardo Packtalk Bold.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Scanbike
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
Do any helmets come w the cardo built in?
They aren’t sold as a single unit, but Schuberth has an integrated Cardo unit available that replaces the neck roll. All of their helmet shells have FM and Bluetooth antennas molded in. Pretty seamless system IMHO. My post above shows my helmet with it installed.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rbdub474

They aren’t sold as a single unit, but Schuberth has an integrated Cardo unit available that replaces the neck roll. All of their helmet shells have FM and Bluetooth antennas molded in. Pretty seamless system IMHO. My post above shows my helmet with it installed.

Thanks, ill look them up

Old 01-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I went from a Sena SMH-10 to the Sena 20S and this has been a great setup for me. Stereo music from my iPhone and turn-by-turn GPS instructions from my Garmin Zumo 595. A really slick setup. I do not do group rides so can’t speak to the intercom function.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Received my Cardo PackTalk Bold kit yesterday. I got it installed but didnt get a chance to play around w it much yet.

Quick Reply: Helmet Bluetooth Communications