General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Bluetooth Communications

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
I saw a $33 increase from the Bold to the Bold JBL. The non JBL set is probably going to be discontinued.
I have not been on the road yet but they do sound very nice, I've been through a few speakers chasing good sound. In ear speakers are still the best but a pain to use. Set up is important, I used the backing pads to bring the speakers closer to my ears.
I made a phone call and I could hear the other person crystal clear, the other person said I sounded like I was right there talking. For $288 it's a jump for me to buy this but there is a lot to it, including the voice commands and being able to connect to other brands.
http://www.revzilla.com/cardo-systems
Well $33 isnt as bad as I was thinking. Couldve swore when I checked last it was like a $75 difference.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:11 AM
RhynoRocK
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

My chick and I just bought the Freedconn T-Com VB pair for $95 off amazon. We're waiting for the weather to let up to field test them, but so far they've shown promise with testing them at home. Loud, surprisingly clear sounding. Music off my phone don't sound too bad either.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 359 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks for this thread. I was planning on buying the Sena 20S EVO, but after reading the thread, and looking at a bunch of other reviews, I think I will go with the Cardo Paktalk Slim, instead. Mainly want to be able to listen to music and GPS, and have intercom with my passenger wife. I will also periodically ride with friends/family, so being able to pair with other riders is cool, too.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I realize most users with the Cardo systems are on stripped down bikes, but is anyone connecting them to the Boom system. I run my music through the bike and NAV as well. Trying to see if there is another solution other than the Freewire/Sena 20S.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Beertapper
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I realize most users with the Cardo systems are on stripped down bikes, but is anyone connecting them to the Boom system. I run my music through the bike and NAV as well. Trying to see if there is another solution other than the Freewire/Sena 20S.
Yep, I did it the cheap way. I used this DIN adapter and this
bluetooth transmitter bluetooth transmitter
. I have the Cardo Freecom 4+ and have one channel linked to my phone, and 2nd channel linked to the bluetooth transmitter. I can listen to the Boom music/nav, and receive phone calls or Waze alerts from the phone.

I'm looking for a bluetooth transmitter that I can install in the fairing and hardwire into the intercom speaker wires.

The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by DanRC
There are some Youtube videos that compares the Cardo Packtalk vs. Sena 30K that might make you rethink your choice. I have not used the Sena 30K but have used other Senas before going over to Cardo Packtalk and I would never go back.
Well...this may be somewhat of a slow reply, but I took your advice, did some more research and ended up with a Cardo Packtalk Bold.

It works well. But nobody I know has another Cardo with the Mesh technology yet, so I am limited to standard Bluetooth. This is OK though and I hope more people will buy Mesh comms units in the future as it is a better technology.

I love the voice control feature for music and other stuff - but I do have to talk to it in an American accent. It doesn't seem to like the British accent at all. Not a big problem, and my wife thinks this is funny as hell.

I would say that most of the integrated units for Schuberth, shoes etc are probably a little behind the technology curve and somewhat overpriced compared to the "slap it on the side of the lid" external units. However if all you want is Bluetooth intercom and audio links to phone/GPS then you should be fine.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:29 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I love the voice control feature for music and other stuff - but I do have to talk to it in an American accent. It doesn't seem to like the British accent at all. Not a big problem, and my wife thinks this is funny as hell.
You think thats bad, im from Philadelphia, the birthplace of America and was told by cardo reps i need to speak w more of an American accent

Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

I have the 20 EVOS and the WHIM on my bike. It works all right to play music from my phone and I can use the left hand controls to adjust volume and skip. I don't use the GPS for travel, so I don't have to worry about the directions. The only problem I have is that I like to play music on my other (non-Harley) bike, so I have paired my 20 EVOS directly to my phone, which makes connection difficult on the Harley when trying to get it connected to the WHIM. It (the headset) mostly wants to pair directly to the phone, rather than having the phone paired through the WHIM then the 20 EVOS paired to the WHIM.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Beertapper
Yep, I did it the cheap way. I used this DIN adapter and this bluetooth transmitter. I have the Cardo Freecom 4+ and have one channel linked to my phone, and 2nd channel linked to the bluetooth transmitter. I can listen to the Boom music/nav, and receive phone calls or Waze alerts from the phone.

I'm looking for a bluetooth transmitter that I can install in the fairing and hardwire into the intercom speaker wires.
How is the sound quality with this set-up?

I want to stay away from Boom/Sena but would like to be able to use the head unit with the Sirius module and the hand controls.

How do the JBL speakers sound?

Old 03-22-2019, 11:21 AM
Beertapper
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by torchmaster
How is the sound quality with this set-up?

I want to stay away from Boom/Sena but would like to be able to use the head unit with the Sirius module and the hand controls.

How do the JBL speakers sound?
Your music/nav is coming from your head unit, so all your hand controls work. Only thing you can't do is talk to your head unit, so no CB comms. This is my first helmet system so I can't compare the JBL speakers, but it sounds as good as when I wear earbuds plugged into the DIN adapter.

Quick Reply: Helmet Bluetooth Communications