General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,

Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Interesting! If it has standard plugs, and it can plug into a Level II charging port, why will it only charge at Level I speed? Obviously it's designed that way, but it just doesn't make sense.
Pure unadulterated speculation on my part but I have read that some EV's limit their charging current levels in order to protect their batteries. Batteries heat up when being charged and if that heating gets out of hand that can reduce battery charge retention capabilities. If the battery pack doesn't have some mechanism to maintain a "goldilocks" battery temperature, I suppose the brain dead approach would be to play it safe and seriously limit the battery charging current. To wit, the Nissan Leaf has no battery cooling capability and it suffers from degraded batteries in hot environments. On the other hand, the Chevy Bolt has both heating and cooling control for its batteries. It seems to do just fine in all environments.

So with that, one could speculate that H-D has no temperature control mechanisms on its Livewire battery pack and as a result they seriously limit input charging current for battery protection purposes to prevent over heating. Just my guess. We'll find out soon enough.

The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
And that means that one of the things that Harley owners love..."There's always a dealership close by"...is no longer true. It's not just that it's too far away for a hot dog, recharge and head home, it's too far away for routine service. You'd have to trailer your bike in for anything.
I hear Harley is working on an innovation that might alleviate that issue.

IdahoHacker (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio

I love it!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Towing will void the warranty so it’s a catch 22 lol

Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,071 Likes on 8,907 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio

At least there’s a nice flat floor so you can load all your camping gear on it.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
For that price it better make espresso and give you a reach around.
You bust me UP!

nevada72 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
Pure unadulterated speculation on my part but I have read that some EV's limit their charging current levels in order to protect their batteries. Batteries heat up when being charged and if that heating gets out of hand that can reduce battery charge retention capabilities. If the battery pack doesn't have some mechanism to maintain a "goldilocks" battery temperature, I suppose the brain dead approach would be to play it safe and seriously limit the battery charging current. To wit, the Nissan Leaf has no battery cooling capability and it suffers from degraded batteries in hot environments. On the other hand, the Chevy Bolt has both heating and cooling control for its batteries. It seems to do just fine in all environments.

So with that, one could speculate that H-D has no temperature control mechanisms on its Livewire battery pack and as a result they seriously limit input charging current for battery protection purposes to prevent over heating. Just my guess. We'll find out soon enough.
So let me see if I have it straight.

HD comes out with an electric vehicle in the year 2019 and it's behind in technology all ready and gets hot as a MFer?

Bizzness as USUAL

nevada72 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
And tires, drive belts. If people are using this torque that makes a black hole's pull look weak then Im sure things will be wearing out.
Gonna have to be doing burnouts cause that sitting in the penalty charging box will limit the number of yearly miles. A new way to make tires last longer

Old 01-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,341 Likes on 1,151 Posts

The first thing every dealer should do when they receive a new livewire is start a $10 dollar raffle for it . And have the drawing the week that they have sold 3000 tickets .
Second place winner could take home the NEW Harley rain pants that no one is going to buy because of the price .
And third place winner could receive $5000 off any new motorcycle on the show floor.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 01-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:01 AM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Funny thought. Just thinking to myself what if I bought a ticket and won the raffle? First thought was I'd ride it home and promptly sell it. Second thought was hold on to it for 20-30 years and then sell it with 10 miles on it hoping for great collector value. But wait!. Even being 'maintained' by 20 years that battery will be scrap and needing replaced, of which replacements will no longer be available. It will be a museum piece stuck in a corner with an asterisk next to its placard. Just like so many of the older Priuses I see sitting with weeds growing up around them in yards.

Electric vehicles only last as long as their original batteries. After that it costs more to replace the battery than the vehicle is worth. I wonder what Harley would charge for a new Harley Davidson branded battery?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,