General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:37 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

I can see the charging meters lined up in front of the new urban HD boutique/coffee shops. Lots of clothes (all slim fit), six buck cups of coffee and absolutely no smell of grease and oil. They already have the no smell of grease and oil down pretty good already. I have to walk a 1/4 mile (well it seems like that it I don't use the service entrance) from the front door of my dealer to the service dept. past a pool table, pinball machine, and TV lounge. It didn't used to be like this but it is now. I think that the suits see the urban thing as a big part of the HD in the future if it is to survive. I, also, think that they have been trying to get more single women involved in riding because they are the big buyers of accessories from what I have seen, personally. I think that they will promote the Live Wire aggressively to the female market. Sure doesn't seem to be a two up deal. They have to do something because it may be a while before the HD culture fad/bubble returns. The days when everyone walked around in a HD t-shirt and you had to order a bike appear, to me, to be over. I am sure they are trying their hardest to bring it back. It must have been good times up in the exec suites when the HD bubble was in full swing. I have known a couple of suits in my life and they don't like losing. Personally, I don't see enough volume in the Live Wire to do it but there is probably more EVO to come. I wish them luck.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 AM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior
Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

The only thing that surprises me is that the price of a new Harley surprises some people still to this day.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Faulkner (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Now you've done kap

You said Evo!

Old 01-09-2019, 05:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Speaking as someone who worked in a Harley-Davidson Dealer service Dept, I would think the dealers would not want electric bikes in their inventory.

Motorcycle sales, at least when I was working provide minimal profit. The parts and service dept’s are what keeps the business moving. I just don’t see a reason why a store would even want to bother with something that will require little more than tire changes throughout it’s service life.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

**** dog all ya need is one of these on ya back rack and ya golden

And you just converted your 30k coal powered bike back to gas....

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-12-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Speaking as someone who worked in a Harley-Davidson Dealer service Dept, I would think the dealers would not want electric bikes in their inventory.

Motorcycle sales, at least when I was working provide minimal profit. The parts and service dept’s are what keeps the business moving. I just don’t see a reason why a store would even want to bother with something that will require little more than tire changes throughout it’s service life.

That could be the reason for the $30k price tag - more dealer profit to make up for declining parts and service. Something that makes you go Hmmmm.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I just don’t see a reason why a store would even want to bother with something that will require little more than tire changes throughout it’s service life.
It's a Harley. Trust me. A lot of things will go wrong with that bike. The only question is, will the service department personnel be up to the task?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
It's a Harley. Trust me. A lot of things will go wrong with that bike. The only question is, will the service department personnel be up to the task?
That thought has occurred to me but I am trying not trash talk the MOCO if I can help it.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
If someone shows up at my house and decides to help himself to my electricity, I will plug his *** in alright.
LOL! Me too, but you can bet your bippy that if you pull into a gas station or convenience store and slip the clerk/attendant a fiver, they'll be happy to let you plug in to get a few more miles. As a matter of fact, you will almost certainly see charging stations making their appearance at just these locations. Remember, you heard it here first!

The point is, there's already an established infrastructure for delivering charge to EVs, and it's growing all the time, complemented by exponential improvement in batteries and charging technology. The EV revolution is upon us, and like the the introduction of the Internet, computers and smartphones, it will happen so fast our heads will spin and our lives will be changed forever.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

**** dog all ya need is one of these on ya back rack and ya golden

At least it will sound better.....

Quick Reply: What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,