General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 AM
1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Road Captain
Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Well it's certainly getting people talking about e-bikes, I mean HD being mentioned in the same sentence as Zero or Energica is probably generating digital traffic on all of the EV websites. Yes it's absurdly expensive but when John Q Hipster raises an eyebrow because he just learned Harley makes an e-bike has got to generate interest in the brand or at least make it worthy of a 2nd look among a buying group that would normally scoff at the idea.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1Qcktrufflesnuffler:
GalvTexGuy (01-10-2019), L8Braker (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Qcktrufflesnuffler
Well it's certainly getting people talking about e-bikes, I mean HD being mentioned in the same sentence as Zero or Energica is probably generating digital traffic on all of the EV websites. Yes it's absurdly expensive but when John Q Hipster raises an eyebrow because he just learned Harley makes an e-bike has got to generate interest in the brand or at least make it worthy of a 2nd look among a buying group that would normally scoff at the idea.
True that. Of course, they're hopeful all those raised eyebrows translate to dollar signs.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss

I stopped by the local dealer a few hours ago just to say hello. I asked what they think about it and was told they want “nothing to do with them”. They said the fee Harley wants just to floor them is through the roof.
I have a friend who sells HDs and he said what HD wants for an "authorized" charging station is ridiculous (that you have to have to floor the Livewire). Now when a guy who sells Harley Davidson motorcycles characterizes the cost of something as "ridiculous" it's probably "staggering". They should have painted that thing brown for the turd it's going to be.

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
nevada72 (01-10-2019), TwiZted Biker (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I have a friend who sells HDs and he said what HD wants for an "authorized" charging station is ridiculous (that you have to have to floor the Livewire).
That is typical of HD, viz. having a business plan that mandates making exorbitant profits off their dealers. Meanwhile, most motorcycle dealers (not just HD) are already on razor thin budgets. Triumph apparently took a page out of the HD business model and is demanding so much from their mom and pop dealers that said dealers are simply shutting down.

HD needs to help dealers. Not hurt them.

The following 4 users liked this post by Strugatsio:
Campy Roadie (01-10-2019), Geoff (01-10-2019), shorelasHD (01-10-2019), tar_snake (01-12-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
HD needs to help dealers. Not hurt them.
Agreed. LiveWire is a promotional piece, something to make customers, shareholders and analysts think of Harley as a tech company. LiveWire will have a prominent place on showroom floors until the novelty wears off, then it'll be pushed into a corner. Hopefully I'm wrong but I've seen this before with Buell motorcycles.

The following 4 users liked this post by Geoff:
Campy Roadie (01-10-2019), L8Braker (01-10-2019), shorelasHD (01-10-2019), Strugatsio (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,129 Likes on 23,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I have a friend who sells HDs and he said what HD wants for an "authorized" charging station is ridiculous (that you have to have to floor the Livewire). Now when a guy who sells Harley Davidson motorcycles characterizes the cost of something as "ridiculous" it's probably "staggering". They should have painted that thing brown for the turd it's going to be.
My local already has a charging station that they got some kickback from the city to install for electric cars. Harley is demanding that they be the ones who install their own version which will cost upwards of 100 grand.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

If a dealer is required by H-D to have a charging station and since we all believe it won't be very busy 'cause they won't sell many electric bikes, do ya think the dealer would mind if other EV's plugged in from time to time for a quick shot of juice? From a cross country EV travel perspective, all the H-D dealers would almost be like a set of mini Tesla supercharger stations strategically situated along major thoroughfares.

As for me, if I had an EV it would be just one more reason to head to my local, friendly Taj Mahal dealership when a free foodage/drinkage event occurs. I get topped off and so does my EV. :-)

Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
If a dealer is required by H-D to have a charging station and since we all believe it won't be very busy 'cause they won't sell many electric bikes, do ya think the dealer would mind if other EV's plugged in from time to time for a quick shot of juice? From a cross country EV travel perspective, all the H-D dealers would almost be like a set of mini Tesla supercharger stations strategically situated along major thoroughfares.

As for me, if I had an EV it would be just one more reason to head to my local, friendly Taj Mahal dealership when a free foodage/drinkage event occurs. I get topped off and so does my EV. :-)
Sure! That's the ticket. You better be prepared to wait because you know there's going to be a line around the block! Bwahahaha...

Old 01-10-2019, 11:47 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy

That's not such a stretch. EVs are here to stay, and not just motorcycles. Having public charging stations, free or even pay, at the MoCo's dealerships could add serious value to one of it's already most valuable assets.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
That's not such a stretch. EVs are here to stay, and not just motorcycles. Having public charging stations, free or even pay, at the MoCo's dealerships could add serious value to one of it's already most valuable assets.
Having to navigate six stupid Teslas lined up for a charging station so I can park my bike and shop for a t-shirt isn't going to help Harley.

Quick Reply: What costs almost 30k, and has a 110 mile range?.,,