General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2019 Harley-Davidson LiveWire Is Far Too Expensive...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.

Why should my tax dollars subsidize your toys?

Our tax dollars subsidize everything from food, cars and new building infrastructure that's not public use. Just ask Amazon how they get all those free kick backs!

I was installing a building in Halls TN years ago and they had a small ghost town outside the city limits. Tupperware built a massive manufacturing plant under the rules they wouldn't pay sales or property tax for 20 years. Needless to say, after 20 years they packed up and moved to China. never paid the state or county a dime. It's a racket and taxpayers are always on the hook for the stupid things politicians allow them to do

Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,612 Likes on 16,352 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I agree, but the government loves "green" stuff and they want to encourage the sheep to buy them with incentives.
The government just loves taking $7,500 from families to give to someone to buy what they deem is good for the country. Bunch of BS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Walter White:
FunGramps (01-08-2019), Uncle G. (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:50 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
The government just loves taking $7,500 from families to give to someone to buy what they deem is good for the country. Bunch of BS.
Kinda' like that Muslim girl who was shot in the face for teaching girls in her country, then received asylum here ( which I'm OK with), and now will be attending an Ivy League college which few if any single young women American women could possibly afford without gubment help (which I don't support).??

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁17943532
I'm thinking that the target market is not current HD riders.
this is a step in the right direction as far as moving beyond petrol. Change, embrace it!
You embrace it!

The following 2 users liked this post by piper59:
FunGramps (01-08-2019), Uncle G. (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,311 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Question about ludicrous mode. How many consecutive times can it do those maximum acceleration numbers before needing a recharge or the performance drops off?
don't own one but I expect that getting below 85% affects ability to maintain that acceleration, really never looked into it as it was far outside of my price range.

EVs have a lot of advantages but those hell bent on preaching them as the end all ignore the limitations too. my range is great when its mild or warm weather. Once temperatures go below 40F and the range starts to drop too, and the colder the pack is the less it can be used till it warms. hence most good evs can heat and cool their packs, they have no choice. so as I said on another thread, if this new HD is air cooled then they are a total waste of time. my 220-250 w/mi energy usage can plow right past 300 w/mi when it gets cold and regeneration isn't very strong until the pack warms. I read stories about people in Michigan or even Canada with EVs so they work it out just fine. the one advantage though is you charge at home you always have a full "tank".

I only want one as a HD motorcycle because I think it would be cool, would not tour with one because like I mentioned, if they air cool it only they are not concerned about longevity or range.

oh, pretty sure the HD will qualify for some part of the tax credit. While my car qualifies me for the full $7500 credit and I will take it I think it would best be discontinued or only permitted on cars with a retail price of 35k or lower. The reason being people who buy 50k, 70, or 150k, cars should not be receiving money when there are many people who don't even make half what these cars cost.

Last edited by ChrisHo; 01-08-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by piper59
You embrace it!
He can mate with it for all I care.

piper59 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Our tax dollars subsidize everything from food, cars and new building infrastructure that's not public use. Just ask Amazon how they get all those free kick backs!

I was installing a building in Halls TN years ago and they had a small ghost town outside the city limits. Tupperware built a massive manufacturing plant under the rules they wouldn't pay sales or property tax for 20 years. Needless to say, after 20 years they packed up and moved to China. never paid the state or county a dime. It's a racket and taxpayers are always on the hook for the stupid things politicians allow them to do
You didn’t answer his question. You just pointed to other examples of tax subsidies.

Uncle G. (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

If Harley's want to sell new bikes in the Uk in future, these bikes are going to be the only way to go, as from 2040 the goverment in its wisdom has decided to ban the sale of all gas and diesel vehicles. In fact the green brigade want to bring that date down to 2035. Should be good to see what happens as so far the uptake on electric vehicles is still very small, and charging points in car parks etc are very, very few. And if you live in a high rise block of flats God knows where your going to charge up your car.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:32 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee⋁17943532
I'm thinking that the target market is not current HD riders.
this is a step in the right direction as far as moving beyond petrol. Change, embrace it!
Originally Posted by piper59
You embrace it!
"Embrace this!" is what I say.

I still haven't "embraced" cordless tools, they can keep that.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Question about ludicrous mode. How many consecutive times can it do those maximum acceleration numbers before needing a recharge or the performance drops off?
Repeated ludicrous launches and the computer steps in and backs it down to prevent damage to the motors and conserve energy. So you wont see one spending the day at the drag strip or driving home without a recharge after a handful of passes.

Quick Reply: The 2019 Harley-Davidson LiveWire Is Far Too Expensive...