Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Time to buy first real bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1266808-time-to-buy-first-real-bike.html)

Bill Johnson 01-08-2019 10:55 AM

Time to buy first real bike

Im stuggling and looking for some seasoned advice
I have finally got the green light from the wife to shop for a bike.

I know what Im looking for and sorta of the budget.

better to get 04' with 35k miles or 08' with 60k
No work done on either motor

Thank you in advance for any help

piper59 01-08-2019 11:18 AM

Not much to work with from what you've told us but I'd go '09' or above.

Bill Johnson 01-08-2019 11:23 AM

Piper

Im thinking the 09' maybe a bit over budget

I see 04' with 35k priced near an 08' with 60k
Just wondering if Im worried more about year than miles?

Road Gliderman 01-08-2019 11:51 AM

Keep looking the 09 is when they changed the frame and is a much better handling bike. With the 09 you will have many more option when it comes time to upgrade for instance when my bike hit 130,000 km I put a 2012 103 in it fit like a glove and you would never know the difference unless you looked at the serial and the timing cover.

nevil 01-08-2019 11:56 AM

The frame change in 09 was for the touring bikes only. The OP didn't give much idea as to what family of bikes he's looking at.

Road Gliderman 01-08-2019 11:59 AM

Sorry when he said "real bike" I automatically thought touring isn't that what a real bike is? Lol

Squidbilly* 01-08-2019 12:06 PM

Better hurry up before she change her mind,

4 inch pistons 01-08-2019 12:20 PM

Personally, I prefer the older bikes over the newer. My humble opinion is that the later EVO bikes and the early twin cam (with the timing chain upgrade) are the best years for Harley. Very low mileage (under 30K) are all over the place down here. My 01 Springer had only 20K when I got it last spring. The newer models have become sorta "Housebroken and tame" and a lot more computerized. The older models are much simpler. Again, just my opinion.

Bill Johnson 01-08-2019 12:27 PM

Im looking at Ultra Classic with detachable tour pack with speakers in seat and lowers

Screamin beagle 01-08-2019 12:55 PM

The biggest difference in those 2 are the motor. .88 vs.96...the 96 has a 4.375 stroke so you can bore to to a 107 or get a kit to a 110...the best the 88 can get is 98 and I think s and s has a 100 " kit. Also the the transmission is six speed after 07 so you get the extra gear...though some guys say the 07 - 08 is geared to tall to use 6th...i say meet me on the highway. Up to 06 in the touring bikes they still had the spring cam tensioners...not a deal breaker but something you'll need to look at if but something in those years, the hydraulic version after that are pretty reliable .Don't let the 09 frame change make you break the bank either ...these guys act like the old frames would fold in half or something. Is the newer frame better? Yup a little and it's also 30 pounds heavier. If you follow that logic you'll have to buy a new bike. Harley is very good at making upgrades every year or two to keep people who need the latest and greatest coming back for new bikes. Dint get me wrong that's great for them but for the rest of us who have a set budget you can find a great bike in your price range if you're patient and you know what to look for. Id say don't buy either and keep looking for the newest bike in the best condition ...mileage alone isn't the end all be all