General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Stel67
Its California what else would you expect!
The law in Colorado:
Colorado law states that any motorcycle manufactured on or after July 1, 1971, and before January 1, 1973 may not exceed a noise level of 88 dBA at 50 feet. Any motorcycle manufactured on or after January 1, 1973 may not exceed 86 dBA.

The following users liked this post:
dribble (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Democrats in control of entire California government using "Curley Effect" to groom the electorate ensuring their control of the state by encouraging opposition voters to leave the state.

California is a lost cause. If you are a California resident please STAY THERE. Everywhere those people emigrate they carry their poison with them.

The Curley Effect In California

Old 01-09-2019, 02:17 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tennessee

Originally Posted by dribble
Could you give me a recommendation of the best state to live in where I can have loud exhaust.

Tennessee has no acoustic criteria...Check the AMA website.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
This is the liberal state way. I live in California, but not near the liberal hell holes of Southern CA and the bay area. In my part of the state, the fruits and nuts actually grow on trees. But, we still need to live under the rule of the liberals.

This is all about money. They haven't been able to raise income taxes as much as they'd like because it hurts even their voting base. But "Behavior Modification Taxes"? Tax the few to keep from hurting the many.

Typically those taxed have more discretionary income. Got a newer car? Then your registration fees are much higher. Smoke? Yeah, they get ya hard there. Drive a gas guzzler? high gas taxes. Loud pipes on your hot rod car, truck or motorcycle? Gotcha! Y'see, lower income people (who typically vote blue) don't have those things.
i don't see this as a 'liberal vs conservative' issue. there are lots of older, wealthier, conservatives that don't like motorcycles and the accompanying noise. and they have connections. i remember a couple of years ago, a state here on the east coast was doing the same thing. except they took it as far as conducting inspections while the bike was parked and if the muffler did not have the epa stamp, would leave you a ticket. don't remember off the top of my head which state, but i think it could have been ny....

sorry, it just kinda bugs me whenever there is some law proposed or passed that suddenly it becomes the 'liberal snowflakes' fault. i actually see more conservatives that would fit in the 'snowflake' category, but don't want this to devolve into pod...

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (12-15-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:21 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,136 Likes on 23,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Democrats in control of entire California government using "Curley Effect" to groom the electorate ensuring their control of the state by encouraging opposition voters to leave the state.

California is a lost cause. If you are a California resident please STAY THERE. Everywhere those people emigrate they carry their poison with them.

The Curley Effect In California
I am a 4th generation Calif..not going anywhere as I really do love the state. Spent some time in various parts of the country but could not imagine living anywhere else.

Heading down now to pick up my bike from my local Harley dealership...new brake pads and rear rotors. T-shirt, jacket and jeans...yes, I love California.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:02 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
Idiot straight pipe crowd that causes the government to enforce the regulations.
Exactly, a hand full of idiots are ruining it for all of us.
Our state has a noise statue but turns a blind eye to it as long as it is reasonable. My town on the other hand is going to enforce a ordinance that prohibits loud pipes.
Summer time we all sleep with the windows open, not right a working man has to get up a 05;00 is kept awake by some clown showing off.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Could you give me a recommendation of the best state to live in where I can have loud exhaust.

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Tennessee has no acoustic criteria...Check the AMA website.
Same for Iowa.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I am one that enjoys riding a motorcycle with a bit of exhaust sound but not obnoxiously loud. A few years ago I bought a used Deuce that had SE II pipes on it. These pipes aren't too loud but after an hour or so in the seat they would get on my nerves. So I modified the baffles myself to quiet it down a bit. Sounded very nice. Then the bike was lost in a fire. I then bought my current bike, a Slim S. It was like riding a sewing machine. I bought a set of take offs online. Out came the baffles for modification. Now I have a bit of sound without being loud. I still have the originals so if it has to go to the dealer, no chance of losing my extended warranty.

On a side note I race outboard boats. We have one class that runs 4 cylinder Mercurys with open megaphones. Can you say loud. We also run Cracker Boxes with Chevy V8's with short headers. Can you say really loud. Anyway we have lost lakes to race on due to rich landowners who live nearby and are well connected and have gotten us thrown out.

I also like to drive my truck with the window open at times. When I see a group of bikes coming towards me I stick my finger in my left ear to block the noise. More often than not I am glad I did. I sometimes ride with a group of friends, most of them have loud pipes. Too loud in my opinion and at times is embarrassing to be with them. Loud pipes aren't doing any of us any good.
kk

Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,870 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Here, it’s less from bikes, but more from *** dragging trucks, that run straight pipes with a resonance chamber.

Add to that the wanna be “Fast and Furious” fart cans, and thumping bass in a shitbox, there is plenty of noise.

Bikes have not changed much, some stock, some rumble, some are deafening. Really,it’s kind of always been that way.

The vehicles that have shown up in the last few years are pushing everyone’s limits.

Last edited by Toypuller; 01-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Next it will be the sound systems . Louder than the exhaust. Road 1/2 mile from my house you can tell what they are playing when they go past.
Exhaust when you fail to police yourself . Someone else will. Same with ground effect lighting. We fought got it approved here as legal with some regs.
But many are pushing it more and more and the public and LE is noticing it.
Wisconsin will not bother you about exhaust unless you really try hard to give them a reason to.

Last edited by smitty901; 01-09-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise