General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Just another reason to never visit the west coast...

Old 01-10-2019, 11:39 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Officially, Helmick retired in 2004 a year after Arnold Schwarzenegger became governor. Didn't Arnold also ride? And what's that suspicious muffler on his Softie?
Arnold rode a Fatboy and carried a shotgun.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

I find it funny that CA has to create a new law that shouldn't even exist because their own ARB laws already prevent any modification of OEM exhaust.

Leave it to CA to create legislation on top of legislation.

The following users liked this post:
Speedspeed (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:44 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,155 Likes on 23,235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I find it funny that CA has to create a new law that shouldn't even exist because their own ARB laws already prevent any modification of OEM exhaust.

Leave it to CA to create legislation on top of legislation.
It's a money grab,

Imagine the revenue one enforcement officer could make stopping by the local motorcycle hangout and writing tickets for violations.

Now that there is a profit motive for the state, instead of a fix it ticket...expect to here more about folks getting written up.

Just going by my experience on how the system works. If there is money to be had, they are going to find a way to have it.all.

Mike Lawless (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Tennessee has no acoustic criteria...Check the AMA website.
Is that really better as it would be subjective and left up to the law enforcement officer to decide based on his opinion?

Speedspeed (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

California, a state where you can change your gender, but not your muffler.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bestrafen:
Dirty Harry (01-15-2019), Dwebber18 (01-10-2019), soldierbot (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i don't see this as a 'liberal vs conservative' issue. there are lots of older, wealthier, conservatives that don't like motorcycles and the accompanying noise. and they have connections. i remember a couple of years ago, a state here on the east coast was doing the same thing. except they took it as far as conducting inspections while the bike was parked and if the muffler did not have the epa stamp, would leave you a ticket. don't remember off the top of my head which state, but i think it could have been ny....

sorry, it just kinda bugs me whenever there is some law proposed or passed that suddenly it becomes the 'liberal snowflakes' fault. i actually see more conservatives that would fit in the 'snowflake' category, but don't want this to devolve into pod...
We have something here in California, that you most likely don't have where you live, so it bothers me none that it bugs you. We have liberal super-majority in the legislature and an ultra liberal governor. They can pretty much pass any law that gets them money from the populace anytime they want without resistance. So yeah, it is a liberal vs conservative issue. I didn't vote for a single one of 'em, but still need to deal with the rules they put in place.

Years ago, a ballot measure came up that would impose a huge tax increase on tobacco products. I didn't vote for it even though I don't smoke and it wouldn't affect me directly. However, my reasoning was "Today tobacco. Tomorrow it'll be something else that will affect more people. Maybe you!" Of course it passed. And now they're tacking fines onto laws already on the books to incentivize law enforcement to go after another small slice of the populace without suffering backlash from the "Liberal Snowflakes." After all, it doesn't affect them, does it?
They even managed to get marijuana legalized so they can TAX IT.

So you see, it's all about the money. It's something that liberal politicians are good at....obtaining AND spending other peoples money.

Even so, California is a beautiful state with so much to offer that it still outweighs the negatives. Some of us will simply need to work a bit harder to keep the money we've earned. My bike isn't loud, but it's not stock either. Hopefully a little common sense and being considerate of my neighbors will keep me out of trouble. Time will tell.

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 01-10-2019 at 02:04 PM.
soldierbot (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:46 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Personally I don't think it's political at all. More than likely falls under the "don't be an obnoxious, noisy a$$hole" category.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mattbastard:
Dirty Harry (01-10-2019), DuciDay (12-15-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 141 Likes on 81 Posts

I used to stay at my favorite Best Western on Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach until the butt holes just decided that revving his Harley at 3 AM in the parking non stop for 5 or 10 minutes was "cool". If he was awake, then he thought EVERYBODY should be awake.

Now I stay at Pawleys Island.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,809 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i don't see this as a 'liberal vs conservative' issue. there are lots of older, wealthier, conservatives that don't like motorcycles and the accompanying noise. and they have connections. i remember a couple of years ago, a state here on the east coast was doing the same thing. except they took it as far as conducting inspections while the bike was parked and if the muffler did not have the epa stamp, would leave you a ticket. don't remember off the top of my head which state, but i think it could have been ny....

sorry, it just kinda bugs me whenever there is some law proposed or passed that suddenly it becomes the 'liberal snowflakes' fault. i actually see more conservatives that would fit in the 'snowflake' category, but don't want this to devolve into pod...

I've seen plenty of so called conservatives who want to pass a law against something, or oppose removing a blue law against something. From what I've seen out of lawmakers or some activist groups, whether they are R or D, whether they are so called conservative or liberal, is either a support for government control against something they don't like, versus a less government control approach. So potentially someone who wants to control noise or pass a law against certain aftermarket mufflers might potentially be a so called liberal or a so called conservative.

Quick Reply: New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise