General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts
Default New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

This is for cars and motorcycles
Anyone who's ever had a muffler rust off knows this dilemma: Do you just get another boring quiet one, or do you test the noise limits of your given area and let the sweet, sweet sounds of the inline-four your mother bought you echo off the hills? I come bearing bad news for fans of the latter. The powers-that-be in California are sick of hearing your exhaust note and passed a new law that will fine you for it.
New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud,...

Posted by CHP – Antelope Valley on Wednesday, January 2, 2019
The California Highway Police's Antelope Valley office
Facebook Post
that a bill lamented by https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/acdr2f/new_california_bill_no_longer_allows_for_a_loud/ on Reddit had gone into effect this year, and any aftermarket exhaust that's deemed too loud on California's public roads will incur a fine:New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud, can no longer be cited as a correctable violation. Assembly Bill AB1824 has taken away the opportunity to correct the violation and requires a citation for such violation to result in a fine only. In many cases may also result in a trip to the Bureau of Automotive Repair B.A.R. If you feel your vehicle is grossly negligent in this area, removing resonators, deleting mufflers etc. You know who you are. Don't waste your hard earned money on this violation. Drive safe everyone.
http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

Old 01-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

It's a shame. All it takes is a few people to ruin it for the rest of us. I am guilty of having a louder than OEM exhaust on my bike, but not something that my neighbors will complain about. A few riders in my neighborhood have straight pipes and you can hear them for over a mile at night. When I can't sleep at night I can actually hear as they change gears by the tone of the exhaust.

If I was to say something to them I doubt that they would hear me anyway (joke) ;-)

Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

This law has been on the books forever. The change is now that it carries a monetary penalty instead of just being a correctable offense. It was written to give more enforcement leverage to the police in dealing with the sideshow idiots in their who are shutting down freeways with their antics as well as the people with their stupid huge coffee can muffler,s straight pipes etc. Also the sport bike motorcycle crowd who are causing trouble on the roads. I see it having little or no effect on the rest of us.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Loud exhaust has always been illegal in Ca, the trouble is the enforcement. What's considered loud? What is used to measure the sound? How is the sound measured? AFAIK, LEO's in California are not issued a decibel meter. Are LEO's using SAE J2825 to measure the noise? How does a LEO prove beyond reasonable doubt in court the exhaust was too loud?
IIRC, 2013 and newer motorcycles are required to have a muffler stamped that it's in compliance with California noise laws. That may be the only enforceable law. see link.
http://bikersofamerica.blogspot.com/...haust-law.html
http://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2825_200905/

Last edited by upflying; 01-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:03 AM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

OMG!!!

I'd better sell my V&H pipes now to avoid that fine!!! LOL

Old 01-09-2019, 07:19 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

Idiot straight pipe crowd that causes the government to enforce the regulations.

The following 3 users liked this post by BigMike:
fevest (01-16-2019), FunGramps (01-14-2019), perki48 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:29 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
This law has been on the books forever. The change is now that it carries a monetary penalty instead of just being a correctable offense. It was written to give more enforcement leverage to the police in dealing with the sideshow idiots in their who are shutting down freeways with their antics as well as the people with their stupid huge coffee can muffler,s straight pipes etc. Also the sport bike motorcycle crowd who are causing trouble on the roads. I see it having little or no effect on the rest of us.
Just another scam to steal more of your money.

The following 2 users liked this post by e6fmf:
nick@nite (01-12-2019), SilverStreetGlide (01-13-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
It's a shame. All it takes is a few people to ruin it for the rest of us.
That entire concept has always bothered me. How a few can ruin it for the many.

It basically seems to degrade us all, due to the few. The lowest common denominator.

Be it pipes, firearms, driving, etc..... it does not matter. When the few do bad things, we ALL pay for it.

As I type this it reminds me in my own business. When I instituted a rule that benefited ALL of the agents (real estate agents) in short order one after the other were attempting to take advantage of the rule. It was bothersome but I struck down the rule and never held back on why I struck it down.

I can't help but think in a global sense, how many things (rules/laws/whatever) are adjusted for the few who take advantage.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong here. And there should be a way to fix it. So the few are penalized and not the masses. Again.........if u think firearms, you will see what I am talking about.

The following users liked this post:
Beertapper (01-11-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
That entire concept has always bothered me. How a few can ruin it for the many.

It basically seems to degrade us all, due to the few. The lowest common denominator.

Be it pipes, firearms, driving, etc..... it does not matter. When the few do bad things, we ALL pay for it.

As I type this it reminds me in my own business. When I instituted a rule that benefited ALL of the agents (real estate agents) in short order one after the other were attempting to take advantage of the rule. It was bothersome but I struck down the rule and never held back on why I struck it down.

I can't help but think in a global sense, how many things (rules/laws/whatever) are adjusted for the few who take advantage.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong here. And there should be a way to fix it. So the few are penalized and not the masses. Again.........if u think firearms, you will see what I am talking about.
Agreed 100%

Old 01-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

Its California what else would you expect!

Quick Reply: New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise