New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

  #1  
Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Long lonesome highwayman is offline
Senior Rider
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: ohio
Posts: 453
Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Default New law in 2019 r/t exhaust noise

This is for cars and motorcycles
Anyone who's ever had a muffler rust off knows this dilemma: Do you just get another boring quiet one, or do you test the noise limits of your given area and let the sweet, sweet sounds of the inline-four your mother bought you echo off the hills? I come bearing bad news for fans of the latter. The powers-that-be in California are sick of hearing your exhaust note and passed a new law that will fine you for it.
New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud,...

Posted by CHP Antelope Valley on Wednesday, January 2, 2019
The California Highway Police's Antelope Valley office
that a bill lamented by https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/acdr2f/new_california_bill_no_longer_allows_for_a_loud/ on Reddit had gone into effect this year, and any aftermarket exhaust that's deemed too loud on California's public roads will incur a fine:New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud, can no longer be cited as a correctable violation. Assembly Bill AB1824 has taken away the opportunity to correct the violation and requires a citation for such violation to result in a fine only. In many cases may also result in a trip to the Bureau of Automotive Repair B.A.R. If you feel your vehicle is grossly negligent in this area, removing resonators, deleting mufflers etc. You know who you are. Don't waste your hard earned money on this violation. Drive safe everyone.
http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it
 
  #2  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Labrador's Avatar
Labrador
Labrador is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 745
Thanked 192 Times in 141 Posts
Default

It's a shame. All it takes is a few people to ruin it for the rest of us. I am guilty of having a louder than OEM exhaust on my bike, but not something that my neighbors will complain about. A few riders in my neighborhood have straight pipes and you can hear them for over a mile at night. When I can't sleep at night I can actually hear as they change gears by the tone of the exhaust.

If I was to say something to them I doubt that they would hear me anyway (joke) ;-)
 
  #3  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:19 PM
dribble's Avatar
dribble
dribble is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,550
Thanked 268 Times in 170 Posts
Default

This law has been on the books forever. The change is now that it carries a monetary penalty instead of just being a correctable offense. It was written to give more enforcement leverage to the police in dealing with the sideshow idiots in their who are shutting down freeways with their antics as well as the people with their stupid huge coffee can muffler,s straight pipes etc. Also the sport bike motorcycle crowd who are causing trouble on the roads. I see it having little or no effect on the rest of us.
 
  #4  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:22 PM
upflying's Avatar
upflying
upflying is offline
Extreme HDF Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 18,293
Thanked 3,655 Times in 2,107 Posts
Default

Loud exhaust has always been illegal in Ca, the trouble is the enforcement. What's considered loud? What is used to measure the sound? How is the sound measured? AFAIK, LEO's in California are not issued a decibel meter. Are LEO's using SAE J2825 to measure the noise? How does a LEO prove beyond reasonable doubt in court the exhaust was too loud?
IIRC, 2013 and newer motorcycles are required to have a muffler stamped that it's in compliance with California noise laws. That may be the only enforceable law. see link.
http://bikersofamerica.blogspot.com/...haust-law.html
http://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2825_200905/
 

Last edited by upflying; 01-08-2019 at 04:27 PM.
  #5  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 AM
fxdup's Avatar
fxdup
fxdup is offline
New Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 92
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

OMG!!!

I'd better sell my V&H pipes now to avoid that fine!!! LOL
 
  #6  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM
BigMike's Avatar
BigMike
BigMike is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 1,925
Thanked 135 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Idiot straight pipe crowd that causes the government to enforce the regulations.
 
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigMike For This Useful Post:
fevest (01-16-2019), FunGramps (01-14-2019), perki48 (01-13-2019)
  #7  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 AM
e6fmf
e6fmf is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Parris Island
Posts: 533
Thanked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dribble View Post
This law has been on the books forever. The change is now that it carries a monetary penalty instead of just being a correctable offense. It was written to give more enforcement leverage to the police in dealing with the sideshow idiots in their who are shutting down freeways with their antics as well as the people with their stupid huge coffee can muffler,s straight pipes etc. Also the sport bike motorcycle crowd who are causing trouble on the roads. I see it having little or no effect on the rest of us.
Just another scam to steal more of your money.
 
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e6fmf For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (01-12-2019), SilverStreetGlide (01-13-2019)
  #8  
Old 01-09-2019, 08:50 AM
BuzzCap7's Avatar
BuzzCap7
BuzzCap7 is offline
Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location:
Posts: 7,466
Thanked 1,070 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
It's a shame. All it takes is a few people to ruin it for the rest of us.
That entire concept has always bothered me. How a few can ruin it for the many.

It basically seems to degrade us all, due to the few. The lowest common denominator.

Be it pipes, firearms, driving, etc..... it does not matter. When the few do bad things, we ALL pay for it.

As I type this it reminds me in my own business. When I instituted a rule that benefited ALL of the agents (real estate agents) in short order one after the other were attempting to take advantage of the rule. It was bothersome but I struck down the rule and never held back on why I struck it down.

I can't help but think in a global sense, how many things (rules/laws/whatever) are adjusted for the few who take advantage.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong here. And there should be a way to fix it. So the few are penalized and not the masses. Again.........if u think firearms, you will see what I am talking about.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to BuzzCap7 For This Useful Post:
Beertapper (01-11-2019)
  #9  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Labrador's Avatar
Labrador
Labrador is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Illinois
Posts: 745
Thanked 192 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7 View Post
That entire concept has always bothered me. How a few can ruin it for the many.

It basically seems to degrade us all, due to the few. The lowest common denominator.

Be it pipes, firearms, driving, etc..... it does not matter. When the few do bad things, we ALL pay for it.

As I type this it reminds me in my own business. When I instituted a rule that benefited ALL of the agents (real estate agents) in short order one after the other were attempting to take advantage of the rule. It was bothersome but I struck down the rule and never held back on why I struck it down.

I can't help but think in a global sense, how many things (rules/laws/whatever) are adjusted for the few who take advantage.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong here. And there should be a way to fix it. So the few are penalized and not the masses. Again.........if u think firearms, you will see what I am talking about.
Agreed 100%
 
  #10  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:28 AM
Stel67
Stel67 is offline
One Of The Regulars
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 216
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Its California what else would you expect!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: