General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Harley thinking??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

It's actually a great idea. Think about it this way......

College student or someone starting out living in an urban area needs a way to get around without the hassle or expense of a car, this will do it. Time goes by, they make more and have a bit more space, maybe they'll buy a Street model to replace it with. More time goes on, and they're ready to move to the next step of a cruiser or bagger. It's all about planting the seed in someones mind and making them a lifelong customer. Tapping into new demographics and otherwise ignored areas is key to growth and survival. Not everyone has the need for a big heavy touring bike or cruiser, a customer base that HD has ignored while everyone else is making a killing on.

The following users liked this post:
VAFish (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I think that's a well designed city bike except for one thing, no rear suspension will be rough going on cracked concrete and pot holed asphalt city streets, common in many big cities I've been in. The fat tires are a good idea for stability on those roads, though, and the riding position looks upright and comfortable enough. The big battery down low will help handling. Put a monoshock on it like the dirt bike concept, and I'd say Harley has a winner if they can price it affordable. Would I buy one? No, I have a scooter with a sidecar on it, meets most of my shopping and errand needs for cargo capacity, and if I'm just solo, I'll continue with one of my two wheelers, like the power and comfort; like all of you reading this, I want my motorcycle.

But... not everyone, probably safe to say most folks, don't or won't ride a motorcycle but are ok with bicycles - they're the biggest potential market for these electric bikes and there's a hell of a lot more of them than us. Harley does the electric business right, big twins might be a small niche market in 20 years. Or less.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,308 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
I kinda like it. I have a short commute through city traffic. Something like this would be far more useful to me than the Livewire.
suffers the same problem I have with Live Wire, where to put the luggage/bags so I can carry something other than myself.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:45 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

They were in the golf cart business a good while back

Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by mshred
Saw that this morning and I'm still shaking my head. Quite possibly the ugliest and most expensive electric bike out there....
Not even close.

How about this for $40,000?

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...eaks-cover-ces

Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Here's another one by Harley

If it had a set of pedals and a 30 mile range I would consider getting one. With pedals I could take it on the local bike paths. 30 mile range would get me to work, that one looks like it has a removable battery, lock the bike in the bike rack at the office, bring the battery pack in to recharge, ride home in the evening. Wouldn't have to deal with grid lock the next time the Pentagon gets hit or we have an earthquake.

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Was there a price tag on it?
It's priced 30 large like LiveWire. Take your pick.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:26 AM
endscuoio
Former Sponsor
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shodown220
This was just posted to their Facebook page. Who wants to buy from a manufacture that also produces this crap?
Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
I kinda like it. I have a short commute through city traffic. Something like this would be far more useful to me than the Livewire.
Totally agree! I would get one too if it costed around 3k. I live in the city and traffic kills me. Plus, it would be cheap to go to work, i'd love to not pay for gas to go to work (here is crazy expensive)

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Did they forget to install the Headlight?
LOL

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
I really like it. I'd buy one if the price was right. I was looking at the Honda Ruckus for something small to run around locally = similar look but road worthy - if they put some lights on it.
Would like a lot more info on it.
If price is around 3k yes. It woudl be a cheap way to commute or do simple tasks around the city. That space under the seat would be a good place for an old school travel bag to store work stuff or minimum groceries.
I like the idea. The thing i do not like is how harley sizes their brakes.... The caliper and disk on this thing is undersized

Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm sure someone on here has a youngster somewhere that thinks this is just what they need.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
What do you care about what other things they make? If HD makes this, it won't effect my buying habits. I'm only interested in their motorcycle line-up. I don't care if they start making electric razors, hover boards, or flatware.
You might care if the cost to manufacture and sell electric razors, hover boards or flatware influence the costs of motorcycles.