General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best Method To Tie Down Your Motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=Mallard Slayer;17951005]a good quality wheel chock is a must!! and then fasten it well and you will have no problem securing it with just two straps I usually just attach to lower fork legs as not to compress the suspension

I agree with this, EXCEPT:
i never strap the front end.
Attach a strap to the frame on each side of the bike under the seat area. Attach them to floor mounted shackles about a foot forward. When tightened down, the front forks will slightly compress and be secured in the chock and the rear will also be secured. The bike won’t budge.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Install a couple of tie down brackets and dont have to mess with engine guards and handlebars.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

Kojaks post above is a nice set up!

I too like the idea to avoid strapping to the bars
in an effort to avoid any wiring or wear marks.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:46 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I try not to trailer mine, but if I need to trailer/rescue a bike, I'll use any number of straps. Ancra works for me.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer
a good quality wheel chock is a must!! and then fasten it well and you will have no problem securing it with just two straps I usually just attach to lower fork legs as not to compress the suspension
Unless a biker bar is used. Then you use very little compression on the suspension. Your approach is fine and used by many more than the biker bar, but anyone interested in towing a bike should be aware of this option.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar

Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 AM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,250 Likes on 1,549 Posts

I always put a block of wood under the frame. You can cinch down the front end without putting undo stress on the front suspension. I takes out any bounce while traveling. Same principle as the biker bar. For my springers, I slam the shotgun shocks onto a 4x6 block. For bikes without shotgun shocks, I do exactly what 2Goldens described in post #37 … build up a block to fit. Using wood blocks makes cheap wheel chocks okay … I use Tow Rexx from etrailer.com. Two straps up front and two in the back to keep it from dancing side to side. Kickstand always up. I do not ever strap to handlebars. For bikes with an alarm system, don't forget to put it in trailer mode. Don't ask me how I know. Carry a battery charger incase you forget.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,205 Likes on 8,361 Posts

Originally Posted by judgedelta
You can (and probably will) get as many opinions on here as to how to tie a bike down as there are articles and videos on the internet. I use a chock for the front wheel and soft straps around the forks above the fender, attached to ratchet straps pulling slightly forward. Also a strap across the back to keep the rear from jumping around if the road is bumpy. That's about as succinct as I can make it. Always has worked on my bikes.
I pretty much did it this way with the exception of how you do it for the front wheel..... And I had to learn it the hard way. What happened is my front fork seals got damaged due to when I ratcheted down on the handlebars. Unlike you (who did it correctly), this allowed bumps in the road to cause the shocks to bottom out due to the front pull down at the handle bars. I learned that by placing the straps at a point LOWER than what would pull on the shock tubes would remove the risk of ever damaging the fork seals. `Just thought I`d add to that thought so others won`t have to go through a somewhat expensive repair.

Originally Posted by White Ice
Biker Bar..........no straps required.

https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar
`Wish I knew about that a long time ago when I ruined my fork seals from improper strap applications.

Originally Posted by highwayman50
I would not strap a bike to the handle bars....they can and do bend and break, I have seen it first hand twice. Strap the front end to the triple tree.
Straps around the handlebars also ruin front fork seals. Don`t ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by SBRob
Meh, that should buff right out.............
, And with no engine guard either.....

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Best way.....get the help of a second person.

Wheel chock is a good idea yet not always available, so make sure to bring front
tire all the way to the front of the wall of the cargo hold.
Strapping to handle bars instead of over the lower triple clamps is my votes.
Proper tie downs and extension straps to go over the handle bars are vital.
Compress the forks 3/4 of their travel, almost to its full travel.
IMO only need to tie down the front.
But, I have never traveled with this setup cross-country so there may be
better advice, except for my first sentence above which I think is # 1 best way.
Strapping to the handlebars will blow the fork seals..... Don`t ask me how I know. Strap the front wheel down at a point just above the fender with a pad of some sort so you don`t rub the paint on the fender.

Originally Posted by LJLKRL05
I bought a pair of "tank straps" and a harbor freight wheel chock, similar to a condor, and use this guy's method to tie it down. Towed my 2018 electraglide ultra classic 1200 miles round trip like this on my utility trailer and the bike never moved. It felt solid with the trailer, but the suspension was able to absorb any bumps in the road.
I did add one strap to each rear floorboard just to keep the rear end from moving.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html
https://www.amazon.com/Tank-Straps-M.../dp/B0798SSQJD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh5zO1__oNc
Excellent video! You can`t show it any better than that.

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I don't know...but I could watch this instructional video all day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqMYl8fAf-A
I could watch her all day too, but that`s a little bike. A big one wouldn`t even fit in the back of that pickup.

Last edited by mud; 01-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,771 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Got a set of these recently. A little tight on my front wheel with the fender hugging the tire but rock solid with bike in the chock. 30.00 for 2 of them on Roverebay.