Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Ultima Chrome spoke wheel experience (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1267050-ultima-chrome-spoke-wheel-experience.html)

mshred 01-10-2019 09:24 AM

Ultima Chrome spoke wheel experience

Trying to separate fact from fiction here- I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but I have been looking at the ultima 40 thin spoke wheels for my bike and they are priced well, especially with what my budget allows at the moment. I notice that the spokes are chrome and not stainless steel, and doing some extensive searching on this forum and others I have tried to sort through experiences where people have had issues with the chrome. Other then what seems like only a few well documented cases of issues with the chrome plating on the spokes, most other negative comments seem to be based on he said, she said with no actual experience with them to make the claim.

I wanted to hear from those who are using the ultima wheels and what their experience personally has been, good or bad. How long have you had them? How has the wheel held up? The chrome? Have you done anything to try and help prevent issues from popping up in the finish?

Real experience and opinions are appreciated!

upflying 01-10-2019 10:40 AM

some feedback here
http://www.porkersusa.com/motorcycle...ima_spoke.html

mshred 01-10-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 17949878)

what is that site?

upflying 01-10-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mshred (Post 17949886)
what is that site?

I have no idea, just popped up on google when I entered ultima 40 spoke. What you see and read on the 'net is always true so take the review accordingly.

mshred 01-10-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 17949903)
I have no idea, just popped up on google when I entered ultima 40 spoke. What you see and read on the 'net is always true so take the review accordingly.

lol I hear you on the internet truths. It's from 2009, so hopefully 10 years later things are better. This is why first hand experience to me always trumps my buddies, friends, gerbils cousin had a problem

hardheaded 01-11-2019 02:30 PM

I have bought 2 wheels from them and several buddies have bought them too. Chrome seems alright but i popped 2 spokes in the rear and another friend just popped his 2nd one. I even took mine and had it trued when new just to check it.

mshred 01-11-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by hardheaded (Post 17952912)
I have bought 2 wheels from them and several buddies have bought them too. Chrome seems alright but i popped 2 spokes in the rear and another friend just popped his 2nd one. I even took mine and had it trued when new just to check it.

Damn man, that's no good...how long did you have it before yours popped spokes? Are these the 40 spokes you're referring to?

slodsm 01-12-2019 03:18 AM

I put 20k on a black wheel chrome spoke pair in 16/17 and then another 5k on a solid chrome set I picked up last fall when I grabbed a bagger.

Never had an issue with either. They’re straight, balance well, no broken spokes (I rode the shit out of my Softail I had the first set on and it was a stout little 98” gmr built motor) and no other issues. I always bought high end wheels for my cars, forged Volks, Gram Lights, etc. I just couldn’t fathom why a 21” wheel needs to cost more than a 14# forged 18” wheel meant to take the abuse of a sports car so I tried the ultima since it wasn’t a huge loss if they didn’t work out. No problems, definitely would recommend them.

mshred 01-12-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by slodsm (Post 17954040)
I put 20k on a black wheel chrome spoke pair in 16/17 and then another 5k on a solid chrome set I picked up last fall when I grabbed a bagger.

Never had an issue with either. They’re straight, balance well, no broken spokes (I rode the shit out of my Softail I had the first set on and it was a stout little 98” gmr built motor) and no other issues. I always bought high end wheels for my cars, forged Volks, Gram Lights, etc. I just couldn’t fathom why a 21” wheel needs to cost more than a 14# forged 18” wheel meant to take the abuse of a sports car so I tried the ultima since it wasn’t a huge loss if they didn’t work out. No problems, definitely would recommend them.

Thanks for the reply man, and good to hear you got good use out of them. I'm like you, I come from a car background (drag racing) and I couldnt wrap my head around 2 motorcycle wheels costing the same I paid for new wheels and racing tires on all 4 corners of my drag car. The spokes you ran, were they the fat spokes or thin?

hardheaded 01-12-2019 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mshred (Post 17953059)
Damn man, that's no good...how long did you have it before yours popped spokes? Are these the 40 spokes you're referring to?

I had them for years before that happened and so did my buddy. There was alot of banging gears on them wheels So i would say they are pretty good 40 spoke wheels. Bearing end play could have been better right out of the box though.