General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nullify Fines for loud mufflers: AB 1824 in California. Your Support is Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Still comes down to this not even being an issue except for the a$$wipes that replace their limp dick for loud pipes.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Still comes down to this not even being an issue except for the a$$wipes that replace their limp dick for loud pipes.
I didn't realize we had a Shakespeare in our midst.....but TriGeezer was very eloquent in a way I can not be...alas..

Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

If you replace/modify your exhaust and exceed 80 dba, you risk being ticketed. No different when carb bikes were running drag pipes back in the day. 80 dba is not a lot though and I am sure that I exceed that.

I live in a small town but we have a lot of Harley's roll through here especially on the weekends. I have never heard of anyone I know get an excessive noise ticket. Glad I am not in CA

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:59 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,139 Likes on 5,591 Posts

There's a guy who moved into our neighborhood about 2 years ago. He's got 2 Harleys and an old Dodge Ram. All three are obnoxiously loud and he loves to tear through the neighborhood and let everyone know how "cool" he is by rattling everyone's windows. I would love to watch the cops ticket that *******.
F that guy and everyone else who does that ****.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
RichM752 (01-11-2019), Roadflyer (01-12-2019), uncle kebo (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,047 Likes on 11,064 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnieM
If you replace/modify your exhaust and exceed 80 dba, you risk being ticketed. No different when carb bikes were running drag pipes back in the day. 80 dba is not a lot though and I am sure that I exceed that.

I live in a small town but we have a lot of Harley's roll through here especially on the weekends. I have never heard of anyone I know get an excessive noise ticket. Glad I am not in CA
Couple of issues raised in this thread:
what does 80 dba sound like?
how does a leo issue a loud exhaust ticket without measuring the noise?
if you get a noise ticket, contest it. The leo may not show up for court, case dismissed.
If the officer does show up, ask how the officer scientifically measured the noise you are accused of. Case should be dismissed without proof.
If you are found guilty, you can negotiate a lower fine and longer time and payments to pay. Just ask the judge.
if you are too poor to pay a fine in California, you can ask to do volunteer work. Just ask the judge.
People who didn't pay traffic fines in California received an automatic drivers lcense suspension. Not anymore.
If you receive a California income tax refund, your unpaid traffic ticket fine will be deducted out of the refund
California LEO's always had the option of issuing a non-correctible (or non-fixit ticket) mechanical violation ticket in Ca.

Last edited by upflying; 01-11-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablo94
.....It is an over reach and seriously a 1000.00 is steep. For years, this was a simple fix it ticket.......What would your reaction be then...
From the looks of things, a simple fix ticket has not been enough to get these people to comply. Maybe now that it is more expensive to get ticketed they will listen (if they still have any hearing left).

The following users liked this post:
Beertapper (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,047 Likes on 11,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
From the looks of things, a simple fix ticket has not been enough to get these people to comply. Maybe now that it is more expensive to get ticketed they will listen (if they still have any hearing left).
as I mentioned, a California leo has always had the discretion of not issuing a fix-it ticket for a mechanical violation
http://www.courts.ca.gov/9529.htm

Last edited by upflying; 01-11-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

By the way, I have a full V&H system on my TriGlide. It has a nice rumble at idle, and really barks when I get on it. I just don’t get on it, or blip the throttle in neighborhoods, or going through towns.

My M8 Ultra Limited, has the latest version of the SE Street Canons. They were bought last fall. They are fairly quiet, almost as quiet as the OEMs at idle. But, when I get on it, they really roar. I’m sure they far exceed 80dba when I get on it. At cruise, they are louder than stock, but acceptably rumbly, as I can feel them in my back.

my point is, be reasonable in your exhaust choice, and don’t be a jerk and being obnoxious, that is what brings focus on the whole issue,

Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I hate most laws, however I agree with most of the comments. I had a fat bob with short shots, loud and obnoxious when I wanted it to be. Maybe this law is for all those guys who have to blip the throttle at a stop light so their fuel injected motorcycle will stay running, Maybe it for the guys who ride through neighborhoods at midnight in 1st gear (grab another one fellas, she will still run), The guys who like to start the motorcycle at 3500 rpm. You can have a loud motorcycle or car or truck and still be considerate.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I think a fixit ticket may not do a lot to solve the problem as far as law enforcement goes. I think a common practice would be to put the stock exhaust back on for the CHP inspection. Then as soon as the violator gets home the after market pipes go back on. Original problem returns. Wouldn't work in the town where I live cops will keep track of you write you again and second time the fine gets expensive.
kk

Quick Reply: Nullify Fines for loud mufflers: AB 1824 in California. Your Support is Needed