General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM
09fitz
Road Captain
Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Back in the seventies I let a family member (through marriage) convince me to let him take my bike for a short ride. He was gone longer than I thought normal.
I got in my vehicle and drove in the direction he took. Found him trying to pick the bike up in a gravel parking lot of a local dive. I got the motor up, told him to bring the car
and I rode it home.
Back then I wouldn't hesitate, if asked, to switch off while riding with others and always let close friends ride mine to get the feel of it. The situation I mentioned changed my mind set on the
matter and to this day I have pretty much stuck to those I listed in my original post here. I allow they are just a machine to some and I also understand the insurance argument but my money
has always come hard and if I'm going to spend it on a damaged ride it'll be because I F_ _ _ ed it up.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,956 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Shocked at the number of people who will not left someone ride their bike. Heck it's only a bike. If your friends can't ride well, why do you ride with them?

The following 3 users liked this post by FLSTFI Dave:
BuzzCap7 (01-14-2019), jamala00 (01-14-2019), Kingface (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

I have the same answer to both questions:

Depends on who it is and the circumstances.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:05 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

I'll tell a funny story from Sturgis a couple of years ago. The ol lady and I rode out to the badlands. We wanted to get a pic of us in front of the "badlands ntl park" sign. There was a line. One bike would pull up on the gravel shoulder, stop, get the pic, and move on for the next bike. We waited our turn until the guy a couple of bikes in front of us wouldn't pull up when it was his turn. His group was hollering at him "come on, you'll be ok" and he replied "naw, I'll just go on, I don't need the pic".

I guess he was a new rider and afraid of the gravel shoulder, lol.

One of his buddies walks over and says, "I'll ride it and park it for you"

Buddy hops on, drives up, parks it, and then dismounted from right side instead of the left side, catches his boot on the bike, falls over TIPPING THE BIKE OVER TO THE GROUND.

The ol lady and I just looked at each other, and as his buddies were picking up the bike, the dumbass who dropped the bike says "oh, that'll buff out". I **** you not. The ol lady and I both agreed, serves him right for not riding his own bike.

The following users liked this post:
Kingface (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieDog
What happened to good ol' common sense? The rule of thumb used to be "***, grass, or gas - no one rides for free". Time to return to when people had values!
That expression was about giving rides I think, not about letting someone else ride your bike without you in front or someone sitting on the bike when parked. Would you, for example, let someone you didn't know ride your bike just because they were willing to put gas in it or give you some grass or ***?

I don't pick up hitchhikers but there's been plenty of times over the decades that I've given rides to people without expecting something in return. It's usually been people I already know and mostly female but I could see giving a stranger a ride in an emergency situation. (even a male one) Like the guy on the side of the road with his new Ultra, if I'd have had to give him a ride into town on my old Sportster I might have. His ride had all the bells and whistles but it should've also had a button that said Press here if you break down in the middle of nowhere. Fortunitely the cell phone I had with me worked in the hills while his didn't.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,377 Likes on 987 Posts

The 07 is the designated loaner. My friends from across the USA and Europe come here and ride it.
In turn they loan me one when I'm in their backyard.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,432 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Two Questions.:
1) Do you let other bikers ride your bike?
2) Do you let non-bikers SIT (ONLY SIT) on your bike?

Regarding #1 above, do not yell at me but the answer is yes. If, if, and only if, that person is a competent rider in solely my opinion.

Regarding #2 above, if they are not drunk, yes I let others sit on my bike. But first I typically let them know any chrome on the side can be blisteringly hot. Swing their foot high over the gas tank. And I may give instructions on how to get on the bike.

So far luckily in the last 13 years I have been riding, there has never been a mishap. But then again, in that timeframe, these matters only came up maybe 6 times or so.
Sitting yes! Riding no!

Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingface
1) Absolutely YES!!! I have a bunch of friends that love to ride but do not have a bike so I let them pick which one of my 2 bikes (FatBoy/Road King) they want to ride and we ride.

2) Absolutely YES!!!! I love watching someone get on my bikes and get a huge grin on their face when they understand how awesome it is to sit on a Harley for a first time.

I always get a kick out of this question......If you can make someone else happy, whether it be just sitting on it, or letting someone who KNOWS HOW TO RIDE use it, then WHY THE *&^%$ WOULD I say no??? It's insured, it's not a living creature, it's a piece of machinery that is made for one purpose...to enjoy. I have never understood the mentality of "That's my bike....nobody uses or sits on my bike BLAH BLAH BLAH". Most people of this forum probably bought a used bike....which means it was ridden by someone else before you.....and most here sell their bikes which means someone else will be riding it after you. Saying that no man should be allowed to touch or ride another mans bike with permission is simply an old fashioned way of thinking that was stupid to begin with.
KF, reading deeper into your post, it appears you have a "life view" that is spectacular.

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny

only those i am honoring with a ride and my wife. grandsons n great nephews are allowed to sit and pretend they are riding😊
Now THAT is 1 AWESOME PIX!! You lucky b'tard!!! Great PIX of house or should I say home, great lawn, you appear to be a bit remote from a hustling and bustling city which is TOPS, and now the most important, 2 gorgeous happy smiling kids pretending to ride the bike which in and of itself is WOW GREAT looking!!

You kid in back appears (only appears) to be holding your antenna with the helmet or some thingy on top of the antenna.

Now, matching tops/bottoms for the smiling kids..........this is a FANTASTIC PIX!!!

If HDF had a PIX OF THE YEAR thread (And maybe they should and we can all vote on it) then THIS PIX is up to win the PIX OF THE YEAR!!!

GREAT job mate. Great job!! LOVE IT!!!!!

mjrfd99 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by SoGA
#1 I ride with a very experienced rider. He once said "Let's switch bikes for the trip back." Who am I to say no? That was a feather in my cap, considering that he trusts me enough to ride his bike.

Same question pls to the 1st one above I asked. Even if asked, why do it? I would think u r more comfortable on your own bike. Saddle, distance to the grips, etc.... Am I missing something?

I know when I had the occasion to ride another's bike bcs they are hurt or I am moving it as a favor or whatever, it seems so freaking ODD to be on another bike with a diff configuration. I just do not feel comfortable. Or maybe even confident being on another's bike. ??
I think he was just giving me the opportunity to ride his Street Glide (knowing I would never ask). It's just a way to broaden our horizons; ride a bike that may be setup differently than yours; ride a model you've never ridden; Someone else might pick up a tick or knock that I didn't notice when they ride mine (I'm hearing impaired, so if it "sounds funny at x,xxx rpm", I likely wouldn't know it). It was just a chance to ride a different bike for 20-30 miles; that may be the start of me developing a taste for a SG. It's not for everyone, but I think it's kind of cool to try a different bike and I was flattered that he offered in the first place, given his extensive experience, compared to mine.

KF, reading deeper into your post, it appears you have a "life view" that is spectacular.
I agree. @Kingface , everyone should have your attitude; kudos, man!

The following 2 users liked this post by BelchFire:
BuzzCap7 (01-14-2019), Kingface (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

All the time. We switch bikes. I know sport bike riders, naked bike riders, etc etc. So it's nice to switch and let people know how different bikes feel.
Do I let people sit on bikes? Hadn't had that happened too many times. Mostly family.

some old guy, but he was handling a goldwing.... so if he could handle that huge thing, he could handle my small bike.

mjrfd99 (01-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?