General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:37 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

The text book answer would be no and no. I had a guy get on a Sportster I owned years ago with a custom tank and paint. He laid it over and dented the tank, which was his lesson and mine.

There are a few select people that I would let ride my bike but the list is short

Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't believe I'd let anyone ride one of my bikes (except as pillion rider). Maybe my BIL, who has been riding for decades, but even then .... Nah.
I will let certain folks (my kids, grandkids, and a select few others) sit on my bikes under proper supervision.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:32 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,043 Likes on 6,219 Posts

Close family members that ride a HD and riding my buddies, but my riding buddies never ask.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,604 Likes on 5,172 Posts

I have allowed others for reasons to ride my bikes. I have even loaned one to someone for good reason. Last year I met someone with a lot of questions about sidecars. After I got to know him and found him to be a good rider decided the best way was put him on one. He spent a day riding and learned a lot. just last week he purchased the bike that will get a sidecar. It is a big step and can be a costly mistake if it is not for you did me no harm to give him more to work with.
Often meet people, that wonder what it would be like to ride in one. My response is well grab the kid get in and find out. It is a Motorcycle, steel plastic ect. Your ride you decide. for me life to short to get that worked up over a bike. People do madder.

The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,407 Likes on 2,939 Posts

My son is the only person I've let ride the Sportster, but then he has one of his own and I trust him. I have a very close friend who until a couple of years ago had bikes. He's like a brother to me and I have offered to let him ride it, so far he hasn't taken me up on it though.

My older sister was in from Portland, OR last year and I let her SIT on the bike for a picture. As far as I know she'd never even sat on a bike before that. My younger sister took the picture, and I was within arms length the whole time.

Really other than that, as **** as I can be, I'm pretty much DON'T touch my bike.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,664 Likes on 6,679 Posts

No one asks me & I don't volunteer. I'd say no anyway....

Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I let some people ride my bike but I can count them on one hand with fingers left over.
I don't mind women and kids on my bike but only at my discretion.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 AM
styphonthal
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My first bike was a sports bike, and I let my friend, who had dirt bike experience, ride it the first day I had it and he laid it down. I had it in great condition for less than 24hrs, he caused over 1,000$ damage, yet wouldn't pay me anything back.

Since then no one has gotten on my bike. BUT I do have a friend I ride with, he has a newer R6 and has decades of dirt track experience (semi-pro), and if he asked I would let him ride.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by styphonthal
My first bike was a sports bike, and I let my friend, who had dirt bike experience, ride it the first day I had it and he laid it down. I had it in great condition for less than 24hrs, he caused over 1,000$ damage, yet wouldn't pay me anything back.

Since then no one has gotten on my bike. BUT I do have a friend I ride with, he has a newer R6 and has decades of dirt track experience (semi-pro), and if he asked I would let him ride.
A guy I know had an Ultra and a Wide Glide. He offered to let me ride the Ultra a lot because it rarely got ridden unless his wife wanted to go somewhere. I always declined. He loaned it to one of his club brothers and the guy totaled it. He took the insurance money and bought a Victory Vision which rarely gets ridden. He now asks me to ride it and I always decline.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss

A guy I know had an Ultra and a Wide Glide. He offered to let me ride the Ultra a lot because it rarely got ridden unless his wife wanted to go somewhere. I always declined. He loaned it to one of his club brothers and the guy totaled it. He took the insurance money and bought a Victory Vision which rarely gets ridden. He now asks me to ride it and I always decline.

Maybe he's hoping you'll total it so he can take the insurance money and buy a Harley again?

Quick Reply: Do You Let Others ON Your Bike?