General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leg covering

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

Half chaps aren't going to protect your clothes from rain and road grime, especially rain. A waterproof rain suit would be the best in my opinion. Harley makes a good suit and you can wear just the pants if there is no rain. On dry days, you could get by with half chaps or some lightweight nylon chaps, just to keep the dust and such off.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,795 Likes on 6,366 Posts

As someone who has sacrificed a few pair of pants over the years let me just say the second pair of pants over or to change into will possibly be the best bet, even if it's a Pain in the rear. Because I'll mention the one thing that happened to me, twice, before I learned better. It's something I wouldn't have thought of before it happened either.

Exhaust pipes. My uniform now consists of pretty robust cargo pants. But for a period of time before they were shuffling around slacks of all different types. I've got a short commute so I'd just throw on whatever they gave me for work and go in. Until one day I'm sitting at a light and suddenly smell... Well, only thing that could explain it would be the steam and starch smell from a dry cleaner. Weird, but didn't think anything of it. Parked at work and began walking in and felt a breeze on my leg. Looked down, good 4 inch burn mark where the cuff of the pant had touched my pipes and burned it's way up the Polyester almost to my knee. Thankfully either through luck or maybe it was small enough that when i took off from the light it went out, but worse circumstances I would have probably been riding along doing a REALLY good ghost rider impression

Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gaitors

I wear Gore-Tex pants and gaitors…

https://www.rei.com/product/846538/o...e-gaiters-mens

Old 01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,814 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by MilsurpShooter
As someone who has sacrificed a few pair of pants over the years let me just say the second pair of pants over or to change into will possibly be the best bet, even if it's a Pain in the rear. Because I'll mention the one thing that happened to me, twice, before I learned better. It's something I wouldn't have thought of before it happened either.

Exhaust pipes. My uniform now consists of pretty robust cargo pants. But for a period of time before they were shuffling around slacks of all different types. I've got a short commute so I'd just throw on whatever they gave me for work and go in. Until one day I'm sitting at a light and suddenly smell... Well, only thing that could explain it would be the steam and starch smell from a dry cleaner. Weird, but didn't think anything of it. Parked at work and began walking in and felt a breeze on my leg. Looked down, good 4 inch burn mark where the cuff of the pant had touched my pipes and burned it's way up the Polyester almost to my knee. Thankfully either through luck or maybe it was small enough that when i took off from the light it went out, but worse circumstances I would have probably been riding along doing a REALLY good ghost rider impression
Been there, done that. And hard to clean khaki’s off pipes