General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:06 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I was brought up to understand you get what you pay for! I have always bought quality tools over the years and my tools are some of my favorite possessions and have saved me more money over the years than I have invested in them! My father owned and operated this service station back in the day and also did mechanic work he had a outdoor lift to the right of the station not seen in the photograph. back in the early 80's he gave me his tools witch are mostly vintage snap on and are among some of my most cherished possessions I use them often and remind me of my father, I would give you my blood before I would loan out any of these tools!!

The following users liked this post:
Northernproducer (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Well I for one can't afford $300+ for a set of Snap On torx bits ! Harbor Freight for me every time !...b.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:00 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by beanoboy
Well I for one can't afford $300+ for a set of Snap On torx bits ! Harbor Freight for me every time !...b.
Yea until you break one off and have a by**h of a time getting the bolt out.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 577 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by beanoboy
I get a lot of tools on CL or letgo. It will still be more than harbor freight but a lot cheaper than buying off the truck.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
Quitter!!
AA is for quitters——- lol

Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool yea ...that's sum B/S ...

Originally Posted by ole_phart
I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life, FAA A&P certificated. I was a believer in Snap-On Tools. If for nothing else a prospective customer was evaluating shops and he or she saw one shop with roll cabs loaded with Snap-On and another shop with Craftsman, Proto or whatever, chances are they'd go with the Snap-On shop. Pic shows what happens with cheap ch!t. The other end is in the screw that attaches the front brake line clamp under the triple trees. This with a tiny a$$ 1/4" ratchet, not like I was using a breaker bar or anything. Needless to say I said screw it and took the rest of the day off before something else went south on me. Not enough of the bit in the head of the fastener to grip with pliers. I need a beer.

Man...we understand that **** ...
what we do ...is ...anywhere we can ... we replace the bolt with a standard hex head bolt and washer ...of the same grade ....
try tweaking the broken piece back the opposite way just a little , should fall out if upside down ...if flat ...wear safety glasses and use compressed air to help blow it out ...
then...if everyone would do this ...
TAKE THAT **** BACK ...TELL THEM YOU WANT YOUR HARD EARN $$$$ BACK ....
good luck ..!!!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Have a set of torx I picked up years ago from JC Whitney. Everone does that. Like they are case hardened mild steel. They seem to be too hard but no tensional strength.

I have another set I got from Walmart. A set from Stanley. I have used them with my small impact on both Harley's and Jeep's fasteners that have loctite on them. Have yet to brake one.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-12-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Some of you are not going to like this but far as star & allen bits go the cheap *** harbour freights I bought for an outside job I expected to one use once or get stolen have held up better then my Snap-on's have. I've yet to twist, break or round off the ends which I can not say about my snappy's and this includes impact use on the larger sizes. Go figure...

I replace torx bolts whenever I get the chance on my bikes unless they are the larger sizes, just too many problems with rounding out or broken bits over the years to trust them.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
beanoboy (01-13-2019), Uncle Larry (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by ole_phart
That plus I tore open my left middle finger and was bleeding all over the towel covering the front fender. I threw in the towel for the day, no pun intended.
In that case. It's beer 30 for sure!!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Torx screws and bolts is as good an idea as flat head screws were. Snap on, Mac and Matco stuff is the way to go, they fit a lot tighter. Believe it or not I've had some Craftsman stuff for 25+ years and even though they're getting to be worn out by now they've done very well over the years

Quick Reply: ^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools