General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

I have a lot of deepwell impact sockets from Harbor. Three of their torque wrenchs. I have used them a lot.
Have yet to brake one. I had the whole drive train out of the Jeep above. Never fased them.
The panheard bar on the back has a hudge torx bolt in it. I never could break the one up in the frame with my 3/4 breaker bar and a harbor freight torx. It had rubber bushings and was tight, so I left it hanging. (Need it looses to wiggle tail pipe up in there since I only had it on stands)
Note, I only do this as a hobby. Sure snapon it best there. They show up to replace there stuff.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,042 Likes on 6,219 Posts

I brought all my S-K tools while working at a indy auto parts store. That was over 40 years ago and they all still work well.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:23 PM
heizlod
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I a big believer of you get what you pay for. but there are some tools that I will always go the cheap route. Phillips, straight head, torqs, star, ill go the cheap route all the way, I would prefer that they break over the bolt head being damaged. everything else, Im willing to pay $$$ for.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Been building my collection for 40 years. One small set/set at a time.

Sometimes I walk into the garage, and wonder how I could ever replace this stuff if something happens.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I am also a firm believer in quality tools. In the last year 99% of my craftsman tools have been given to my son and snap on, mac, matco stuff has moved in. Mac ratchet wrenches, Matco tore drivers, everything else is SO. Some new some used.
From what I have experienced, the biggest difference I have encountered is with torx and hex bit sockets. HF, lowes and HD stuff is absolute garbage compared to my snap on set. Tolerances are so much tighter with better tools.

Im sure the harbor freight guys will chime in with why that stuff is just as good. Ill stick with the truck brands from now on.
i have two set of HD tools. They are rebranded Snap-On.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

My $0.02: The problem with Torx stuff is mostly in how it's used. The official spec for a T20 fastener, for example, is a maximum torque load of about 9 lb-ft. There are lots of times when a Torx head screw gets some corrosion or other gunk locking it in and it takes way more than the spec torque to break it free. In that way, even if the bit you are using meets or exceeds specs, you can break it.

Don't like them in an environment where corrosion is likely.

As for tool brands, haven't found one that's any more reliable than any other for the small Torx stuff. I've twisted or broken every one of them, including the premium brands.

So far, the set of Tekton bits I picked up a couple of years ago seems to be holding up better than average.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Hate to burst the "Snap on tools don't break" myth, but I've broken plenty of Snappy, Mac, Matco etc. in my years as a wrench thrower. Even locked up many a "Truck Brand" air-tool, but I can say I've never locked up an Ingersoll Rand air tool, built like a proverbial tank.
My 1/2" IR impact hasn't missed a beat in 25 years, It's one of the first tools I ever bought.

All tools will break, they all have their limitations. Yes, some tools are absolutely built to better specs than others, but even the best have their limits, and most tools I've seen break were being asked to do something they weren't designed to do.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,134 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin

i have two set of HD tools. They are rebranded Snap-On.
HD meaning Home Depot

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Same goes for crappy Chinese made hardware/screws. Anytime I am doing a project that requires more than a few wood screws i go out of my way, and pay extra for quality American made hardware. Tired of the crappy Chinese **** that the heads screw off of. And nails bend with the slightest off angle hammer hit.

Oh yeah...I need to replace my Torx bits. What brand should I get!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,668 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default Tools

Worked in my dad's shop in the late seventies. I still have my Mac tool boxes filled with Mac and Snap on tools. If I had to replace what I have in there today 30k would not be a too far off. Glad I bought quality tools back then.

Quick Reply: ^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools