General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tool kit list of items

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:52 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by 47000412
I just match the tools that comes with Cruz tool kit and HD tool kit plus.
I couldn't find anything that said HD tool kit plus, is this the plus version? If not what is the difference?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tool-kit

I've got everything listed in the link in just my spare tools to do 2 kits except for two items, one roll up bag or pouch and two 1/8 hex keys. I do have a 1/8 hex key but no spares and wanted to leave it in the home tool box. I can buy a roll up bag for $5 locally, maybe cheaper if I look around, and I got one roll up bag with the wrenches already in it. I don't recall ever using a 1/8 hex any time I've done work on either of my bikes. Cheapest I've found so far for just a 1/8 hex key is 2 for $4 online free shipping. I did a google search but didn't find out what it was used for. Does anyone know what the 1/8 is used for on a Harley?

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 01-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
Does anyone know what the 1/8 is used for on a Harley?
Not sure but according to the Snapon documentation, it's for "Rear brake master cylinder".

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Set...t-P641504.aspx

Old 01-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Not sure but according to the Snapon documentation, it's for "Rear brake master cylinder".

https://store.snapon.com/Service-Set...t-P641504.aspx

Thanks for that. I guess for $2 per road kit I probably should include it.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,595 Likes on 9,812 Posts

1. Cellphone with GPS/location of nearest H-D Dealer

2. A few credit cards activated and ready to go....

Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
1. Cellphone with GPS/location of nearest H-D Dealer

2. A few credit cards activated and ready to go....

People keep saying that but I can speak from personal experience that depending on just a cellphone can be a problem in certain areas far from home. In certain areas of southern Kentucky northern Tenn you can go from 5 bars to no service and back depending on what carrier you have. There's a few areas I've been in where Verizon, AT&T and Sprint are all no service, as my wife and I had multiple phones with me at the time. The last guy I helped on the side of the road had AT&T but I had my wife's phone with me (works on both Sprint and Verizon) so he was able to call for help and didn't have to try to thumb it to the nearest town (or ride on the back of my Sportster)
No way was I going to tow him 12 miles in the hills like some old Bronson episode. Is that even realistic on flat ground in real life?

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 01-15-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 135 Likes on 70 Posts

What I did was figure out what I could reasonably do myself when away from my shop, and put together a small kit. There were a few times I had to buy tools when on the road though, but not often.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

I bought one of these.
Tool Kit Tool Kit

Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,043 Likes on 6,219 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
I couldn't find anything that said HD tool kit plus, is this the plus version? If not what is the difference?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/tool-kit

I've got everything listed in the link in just my spare tools to do 2 kits except for two items, one roll up bag or pouch and two 1/8 hex keys. I do have a 1/8 hex key but no spares and wanted to leave it in the home tool box. I can buy a roll up bag for $5 locally, maybe cheaper if I look around, and I got one roll up bag with the wrenches already in it. I don't recall ever using a 1/8 hex any time I've done work on either of my bikes. Cheapest I've found so far for just a 1/8 hex key is 2 for $4 online free shipping. I did a google search but didn't find out what it was used for. Does anyone know what the 1/8 is used for on a Harley?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, "Plus" meant that I added additional tools that did not come with the these tools kits.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

What problems are you going to be able to fix on the side of the road?

I figure the most important tools are the ones needed to access my battery. After that it's probably going to be a broken throttle or clutch cable and tightening up something that came loose like a mirror or fender bolt.

Other big thing is Tires.

I've broken down on the road 4 times on a Harley. Twice it was battery related, once was a box cutter blade through a rear tire, and the last time was a hole in the side of the cylinder. First battery problem I trailerd it home, second one happened about 3 blocks from a HD dealership so I walked down, bought a new battery and borrowed the tools. Nothing I could do with the last two but trailer it home or to the dealership.

So most important tools for me were a cell phone and a kid at home that could drive my truck and trailer.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
What problems are you going to be able to fix on the side of the road?

I figure the most important tools are the ones needed to access my battery. After that it's probably going to be a broken throttle or clutch cable and tightening up something that came loose like a mirror or fender bolt.

Other big thing is Tires.

I've broken down on the road 4 times on a Harley. Twice it was battery related, once was a box cutter blade through a rear tire, and the last time was a hole in the side of the cylinder. First battery problem I trailerd it home, second one happened about 3 blocks from a HD dealership so I walked down, bought a new battery and borrowed the tools. Nothing I could do with the last two but trailer it home or to the dealership.

So most important tools for me were a cell phone and a kid at home that could drive my truck and trailer.

I can see that, and I'm definitely not discounting the importance of a cell phone. In fact the guy I helped out I helped him out with my cell phone as his was on a different carrier, because tools or not neither he or nor I had a clue as to how to fix the problem. His was a 2017 Ultra. I however was riding a 98 Evo Sportster with a carb. at the time so there's more that I know how to deal with on a motorcycle like that.

The only time I've had an on the road problem with the old Sportster the battery connections were loose. After tightening them it was good to go but Harley doesn't make it easy to get to them, compared with other motorcycles like the EG.

As far as tire issues I had a tire repair kit in the 98 EG and it came back with the bike. In fact everything else tool wise was in the saddlebag. The only thing that seemed to grow legs and walk off between the time of the accident and getting it home was the Harley tool kit.

Quick Reply: Harley tool kit list of items