General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Wish it was a...” Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:45 PM
RebelScout671
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this along lines of...
a HARLEY CHOPPER vs HONDA CHOPPER???

Like muscle cars vs tuner cars.

Would people laugh at a Shadow chop because it’s not a real HD?

Old 01-16-2019, 09:48 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,835 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
I don't really care what other folks own. If you show up at my house and want to go for a putt, I'll go along. When you start knocking my choice, we'll part company. Simple as that. We've known for a long time the imports focused on designing their products to look more like Milwaukee Iron. What a compliment to us that ride Harleys. They are putting folks in the wind who might not be able to swing the cost of a Harley. And putting people to work in the process.

That's basically what I was going to say too.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (01-16-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 829 Posts

I give all bikers a wave too. If there is any jabbing from me it's all in good fun with tongue in cheek!

Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

It's as simple as this! My ford dealership sales Toyota but the real trucks on the lot are the fords... if you really want a sweat ride theirs always the Lincoln next to the lower end vehicle. Honda makes a great bike, but the Harley Davidson is one step up from the rest... now most people want one but not all can afford one. So ride what you can till you can get what you want... like the candy commercial says NOT SORRY... LOL

Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Not knocking anyone else’s ride but, having come to HD from the world of metrics I’ve always thought V Twins were outdated technology. Still do. My philosophy was always if I wanted a V Twin I’d get a Harley. I still feel that way. They make some fine motorcycles in Japan but I can’t understand why anyone would put out the money for one and not take advantage of the superior technology that’s available. I love my Harley (hard to explain) but if I ever buy another Japanese bike it will not be a V twin, unless it’s something a little more advanced like a Vstrom 1000.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,183 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Most folks like the HD because of the aftermarket support and the social acceptance of "it's a Harley". One might want to review how much on stock Harleys are not made in the USA. Over priced ditch pumps. But the lopping twin while riding back roads is good.

let me know when you have 100k on one machine how reliable they are. Harleys, when left mostly stock, are just as reliable as any other bike out there.

Want fast twin? Buy a Ducati.

The lowered seat height is to sell more bike. Not everyone is 6'7" like me.

But I'll have a sportster someday.. Today it's just my old 2002 Ultra Classic and my 97 Moto Guzzi.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

First, ride your own ride and quit being so **** about what other people ride. Their money, their choice, not yours. If they want a Harley, eventually they will get one. However, there are many bike brands out there that do produce bullet proof bikes. Some are V Twins, V Fours, inline fours, inline twos, flat or H sixes. Some are sport bikes, some are cruisers, and some are touring. Does it matter? Are you buying their bike for them? Of course not. So why get your tail feathers all in a bunch because someone is riding a different brand that may or may not have the same style as a Harley? Another point is price. Many of the metrics cost a heck of a lot less than the same or smaller size Harley. Sometimes by at least half.

But lets close the gap a bit. If your riding a Sportster, it's a girls bike, so either your a female or some punk azzed sissy boy. (j/k) It's the same thought process though the bike is a Harley. In other words, be secure in YOUR choice, and who gives a rats behind about what someone else chooses for their ride.

If we're talking foreign made vs American made, take a look at many of the parts on the Harley. Many are manufactured outside of the United States! Look at a lot of the Aftermarket items Harley dealerships sell. Do you really think those odd or exotic looking names that have "Made In" before them are in the United States? On the other hand, does it really matter?

Okay, I ride a Street Glide AKA Geezer Glide. While it's never actually left me stranded, it still has it's faults. The wheel bearings for starters. When my front bearings started to fail, I was only a few miles from home, and even then I wasn't sure if it would make it. My rear bearings are about gone but will be replaced shortly. The Stereo hasn't worked for better than a year and a half along with a few other things. Does it bother me, especially having a high dollar bike? Not in the least. I do my own wrenching and fix things that are necessary. The stereo isn't necessary though eventually I will fix it or get a replacement. Harley's aren't perfect, never were and never will be. The same applies to all the other makes and models out there be they made in America or some foreign country. Realize it, accept it, and get on with your life!

I ride my own ride, and have an appreciation for the variety of other bikes out there. Personally I like big bikes, the bigger the better. Brand or country of origin doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,916 Likes on 3,018 Posts

To just answer your question , It's the cost. they would like a Harley but they can't afford a Harley. Plus the Old rumor Harley's break down often.

Qdog002 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 AM
highwayman50
Stellar HDF Member
Received 965 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by XL1982
Just a topic for discussion, but why are there so many HD knock off bikes, and so many owners of them who deny up and down that their bikes are an obvious copycat?
I own an Iron 883, and have seen and heard so much about the Yamaha Star Bolt, that I think I know more about that thing than I do my own ride! Of course there are many, MANY other knockoffs of other Harley models that I can’t think of(feel free to mention them!), but this is the one I hear the most.
Its always some story about how the Japanese make “better” more reliable products and that Harley is stuck in the past, but if that’s the case, why are they so hellbent on copying something they consider outdated?!
All I see are repli-cycles, covered in plastic and zip ties, cheaply tossed together to try to outsell HD at their own game.
Maybe Im ranting, and probably so, but has anybody else gotten as annoyed as I have with this crap? I mean if they wanted the Harley, why not just get a Harley?!
I own a 2008 Yamaha V-Twin 1900 Raider and a 2014 Street Glide Special. The Yamaha is a better bike pretty much hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love both bikes but, gun to my head the metric is a better bike. Please excuse the crappy photography.

Last edited by highwayman50; 01-17-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Bonnie Storm (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:38 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,417 Likes on 4,127 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Sounds like the Panhead guys talking about Evos.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
0maha (01-17-2019), MacTarnahan (01-17-2019)

Quick Reply: “Wish it was a...” Harley Davidson