General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Wish it was a...” Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I just bought a VStar 1100 for my wife...clean it up and ride it.... $1000.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:38 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Maybe its because I'm basically anti-social and really don't like people, but I don't understand how these conversations ever take place.

I'm out riding around, and I get a fairly steady stream of "nice bike" type comments. Like at stoplights or maybe in a parking lot. I just say "thanks" and go on my way. I don't know you. I've got things to do.

There was one time in a small town in Iowa at a Culvers. I was coming out as a couple of grandmotherly types were coming in. They said hello, commented on my bike, and the next thing you know they were telling stories of the wild chit they did in Sturgis back in the day. That was pretty cool.

But I've never had someone come up to me and defend his choice in motorcycles, and I've never asked one to. I don't care what he rides. I don't care if he rides.

I don't understand any of this.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
Bonnie Storm (01-17-2019), SBRob (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Maybe its because I'm basically anti-social and really don't like people, but I don't understand how these conversations ever take place.

I'm out riding around, and I get a fairly steady stream of "nice bike" type comments. Like at stoplights or maybe in a parking lot. I just say "thanks" and go on my way. I don't know you. I've got things to do.

There was one time in a small town in Iowa at a Culvers. I was coming out as a couple of grandmotherly types were coming in. They said hello, commented on my bike, and the next thing you know they were telling stories of the wild chit they did in Sturgis back in the day. That was pretty cool.

But I've never had someone come up to me and defend his choice in motorcycles, and I've never asked one to. I don't care what he rides. I don't care if he rides.

takes too much effort....I just smile.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

is a Silverado a knockoff of a F150?

People sound like Howard Stern complaining when someone else makes a fart joke and he's saying everyone copied him..

If there's a market, manufacturers are going to build. This has been going on since someone invented the wheel.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

No need to understand it, just know it *does* happen. It's why I posted in this thread, it's happened to me often enough, and as I said, I tell them no it doesn't and just shake my head and laugh and go on about my business.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

A couple months ago I was talking to this guy about the past. He was telling me about the reasons he joined the Navy instead of going USMC. I then noticed his motorcycle on the carport. Some kind of Japanese look alike. So I said that it was a good looking ride, (I did like the color scheme). He then says something about it being better than a Harley but just not a Harley. I asked him if he settled for something less when he got married. He looked at me like a dog that is puzzled. Head twisted to the side and that whaaaaaat? Look. I said you seem to have a tendency to go for the second rate things in life. That pretty much ended the conversation. Before I left I did add "that I have never heard a kid say that they wanted a yamazuki when they grow up "

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I was the third owner of my 89 UltraClassic. When I bought it, it had "Harley-Davidson" all over it, like about 15 places. When I repainted it, the only place it said HD was on the nose cone, I had several folks tell me it was not a Harley because Harley's don't look like that. When I pointed out the nose cone, they said I glued it on there. Most non riding public cannot find a Harley without labels telling them what it is. Any big bike is a "Harley". Many a Sportster owners suffer this fae if the paint job doesn't say H-D on it.

Another example, all Jacuzzi's are hot tubs, but not all hot tubs are Jacuzzi's. Brand name recognition rather than product recognition.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBel
"Imitation is the highest form of flattery". Just smile and roll the throttle.

there is something to be said in this. There are a LOT of copies of the Harley style, at varying engine size points. When I first started riding, I could have given two ***** about what it was I rode. I was in the Navy and dead broke. I bought a basket case Honda CX500 in boxes and rebuilt it in base housing. A buddy of mine had a Kawi Vulcan 800 that looked like a softail. Again, in the mil, and broke as ****. we didnt care that we didnt have the coolest bikes on base, we rode. give it 20 years, and a better place in life, and I was getting back into riding. I looked at the Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, etc, etc, and thought that they all looked like a Harley. I was tired of "settling" for a copy, so I consolidated a few things and bought the genuine article. It wasnt about anything but having what everyone else tries (and in varying ways fails) to copy,

Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
It's the same with them putting loud pipes on their rice...all I hear them say is 'It sounds like a Harley now'. I tell them, no, it doesn't and they get butt hurt from it. I laugh.
Tha'ts true but then the late model Harley's I've heard don't sound like Harley's used to either.

Originally Posted by kngpn
is a Silverado a knockoff of a F150?

People sound like Howard Stern complaining when someone else makes a fart joke and he's saying everyone copied him..

If there's a market, manufacturers are going to build. This has been going on since someone invented the wheel.

I've owned and had to work on both, and the Silverado is much easier to work on for under the hood issues, at least in the early 2000 series of both trucks.

tar_snake (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Imitation is the sincerest sign of flattery.......if any motorcycle brand was looking to make money in the last few decade they did what the market demanded.
Did they make a better motorcycle? Maybe
We ride what we ride for a number of reasons, mostly financial, but it all works out in the end.
We all face the same perils on the road with the distracted idiots or drunks behind the wheel.
Ride safe to live another day!

Last edited by Warrant; 01-17-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Iron lHorse (01-18-2019)

Quick Reply: “Wish it was a...” Harley Davidson