General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the "Experts" say it ain't gonna work.,,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:04 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray702
I can't wait until the LiveWire is released..I want to ride one bad..I just hope the power and range is there, and the price isn't too high. I know that's like asking for peace in the middle east, but a guy can hope right!?
I think the Livewire is coming in around 30K.. Thats nuts..

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,711 Likes on 1,988 Posts

• 110 miles range
  • No "fast charge"
  • $30,000
I hate to agree with the fools at The Fool, but I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,626 Likes on 832 Posts

The market will decide whether it is a success or not. On the surface it does look like an uphill battle though!

Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I predict. Not only will Harley's version of the Tesla fail, this "futuristic sound" they say it will emit will make them the laughing stock of the industry.

mrmarklin (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

The LiveWire also made me think of Tesla (other than Tesla outperforms most of their competition)... I've been thinking the comparison might be a good one.

Tesla entered the market with an overpriced and unpractical Roadster. It wasn’t meant to be a big seller. It was a way to announce their entry into the market, and allow them to work out the bugs in a limited number of cars.

Wouldn’t surprise me if LiveWire is the same for Harley. Make a flagship, sell it in limited numbers, then use what they learn to start building more practical bikes to sell in greater numbers.

...at least I HOPE that's their plan. Otherwise they're screwed.

Last edited by dpmerrill; 01-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SpockJenkins
The Motly Fool also assured everyone that Victory Motorcycles would put Harley Davidson out of business. They are the National Enquirer of invesment publications.
I see nothing on their site saying Victory would put HD out of business. I see only that they were taking market share.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,252 Likes on 8,384 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
HD guys are not dumb. 2nd guessing them (on delaying the release or under powering the bike) is not suggested I'd say.

Personally, I think electric bikes are just not motorcycle riding. I want to hear and feel the rumble. It is the classic look and feel that excites me.

If all there was are electric bikes, I seriously, seriously doubt I would own one.
I KNOW I wouldn`t.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Didn't the experts in the 1970s also say the general public would be flying instead of driving now?

Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,311 Likes on 1,336 Posts

At the premium price they are asking you would have expected a premium product. Yet from and EV standpoint it is not. It doesn't even look easy to accessorize but one would believe Harley has on its way, I was originally hoping that besides a semi reasonable price that it would take Soft tail accessories. I watched Laidlaw's recent video and flat up, if you have declare it premium and having the value based on its paint finish and detailing your missing the point of an EV. Said it before, was really hoping that Harley was going to blow it wide open and be the American leader in this segment. Going to be real interesting how many dealers sign up and how many bikes they will have between them to sell.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I'd love an electric, but I'll never own one. The price, of course, as an old retired guy on a fixed income, I don't spend $30,000 on anything, but what I don't see people discussing is the used market, and for me, there won't be one. When these things are old and cheap, you won't do a top end on the motor and bring it back to life, you'll put out a substantial percentage of new cost for a replacement battery. I don't see anyone wanting to put that kind of money into a battery for a used bike. When the first 3 or 4 generations of electrics are all scrap metal and aluminum cans, there'll still be Harley shovelheads running around somewhere on their second or tenth rebuild.

TroubleHead Fred (01-17-2019)

Quick Reply: When the "Experts" say it ain't gonna work.,,,