General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UCLA study, funded by Harley-Davidson, says motorcycling reduces stress, increases alertness

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Default UCLA study, funded by Harley-Davidson, says motorcycling reduces stress, increases alertness

I didn't need no stinkin' study to tell me that! My stress level goes down when I see my bike in the garage.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...th/2597550002/

Three UCLA researchers studied more than 50 motorcycle riders in tests that recorded their brain activity and hormone levels before, during and after riding a bike, driving a car and resting.

The bike ride resulted in a 28 percent decrease in biomarkers of stress, according to neuroscientist Don Vaughn.

On average, riding a motorcycle for 20 minutes increased participants heart rates by 11 percent and adrenaline levels by 27 percent, similar to light exercise.

Changes in the riders’ brain activity suggested an increase in alertness similar to drinking a cup of coffee.

Sensory focus was enhanced while riding, versus driving a car, meaning that riders were more alert to what was going on around them.

On the bike, many riders say they tune out anything that’s not relevant to the road. The study, which used electroencephalogram equipment to measure brain activity, seemed to validate that point.

“We knew riders had reported that motorcycles gave them peace of mind, but no one had really rigorously quantified it before,” said Vaughn, who is not a motorcyclist.

“When I measured it, these were just the facts I observed,” he said.

The study included men and women across a wide age spectrum. Some had been riders for their entire adult lives, while others had ridden for only a few years.

In the tests, they rode for about 20 minutes on somewhat rural roads, in two locations, where there was other traffic but it wasn’t too intense.

They wore what looked like a swimmer’s cap, with electrodes, to measure their brain waves while on a bike and while engaged in other activities such as driving a car.

Measuring brain activity is challenging, Vaughn said, because the signal is only one-millionth the strength of a AA battery.

Much different than in a laboratory setting, it sometimes took 40 minutes to adjust the cap and make sure the electrodes had a solid connection.

“While scientists have long studied the relationship of brain and hormone responses to attention and stress, doing so in real-life conditions such as these is rare,” said Mark Cohen, a UCLA professor who was part of the study’s research team.

The reduction in hormonal biomarkers while riding was notable, according to the researchers, though you could probably get a similar stress reduction in other ways, such as going for a morning jog or playing a round of golf.

“It’s not going to completely alter your perception of reality, but it’s significant,” Vaughn said.

Too much stress has long been associated with negative health effects.

“I would take any reduction in stress,” Vaughn said.

The researchers said they’re considering more experiments before submitting the results of their study for peer review and publication in a science journal such as Nature.

“In our minds, this is the first time a study like this has ever been done. We think it’s pushing the limits of what can be measured,” Vaughn said.

Military veterans have long said that motorcycle riding has given them a sense of peace when struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Harley-Davidson says the study's findings validate what it’s known for more than a century: that riding is good for your mental health.

The company has struggled to attract younger customers in a marketplace where fewer people are taking up motorcycling and baby boomers are aging out of riding. So it's seeking new ways to sell bikes.

“We’re leveraging the latest technologies as we shift our focus from exclusively motorcycles to growing ridership, so it only made sense to tap technology to explore the impact of riding itself,” said Heather Malenshek, Harley’s senior vice president of marketing.

Edit - The video is here:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...0190117#thrill

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 01-17-2019 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GalvTexGuy:
DanHappy (01-18-2019), Northernproducer (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

This is true. Hell I find myself looking over a right or left shoulder if I'm just walking in a store and have decided to go a different way.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,229 Likes on 5,990 Posts

well that explains it..... I haven't been on a bike since November 17 and boy, am I stressed out!!!

GalvTexGuy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:34 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 2,505 Posts

Wonder how much money was wasted on that study, all they would have had to do is come to this forum and ask.... hell its free.

rk classic.

GalvTexGuy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,003 Likes on 483 Posts

I'm sure not less stressed biking around in town. Rural, sure.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,045 Likes on 11,063 Posts

I agree, go for a motorcycle ride and I feel refreshed and invigorated. If you have a bad day, go for a ride..it's great mental health therapy. Same thing happens with pilots.

GalvTexGuy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

The main reason I got back into riding after taking 20+ years off. I had to have something to remove stress and I kept going back to my younger riding days and how I could leave the world behind and enjoy the ride!

Thanks HD

GalvTexGuy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Is the next revelation from UCLA will be " it's not the destination, it's the journey" or "live to ride, ride to live" . Just glad to see the mother ship is staying on top of it.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:50 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first study funded by a company or organization in order to seek findings that are potentially beneficial to the company or organization bottom line.

Walter White (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Well, this explains the "nuttiness" known as Winter.

Quick Reply: UCLA study, funded by Harley-Davidson, says motorcycling reduces stress, increases alertness