General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest helmet and help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Default Latest helmet and help appreciated

I picked up a Shoei RF 1100 on the cheap to replace a pretty crappy FF I had and had not worn in years, since I wore contacts. I got this with reservation due to the concern of having a difficult time getting corrective lens glasses on using a FF. I have asked here before and at other times I have read where users use RX and have no issues. Well, I sure do hope there is a learning curve and I don't end up ruining any of my expensive glasses. I actually got my glasses on with the help of a pimple faced kid on YouTube LOL. So any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

That's the main reason I went with a modular (Shoei Neotec). When I was trying on helmets, I had on my very expensive prescription sunglasses, and I mean expensive! I tried on a GT-Air and, of course, there was no way to get the helmet on with my glasses. When I tried putting on my sunglasses, I was afraid I was going to break the frames. Even with the Neotec, it's not easy, but it's doable. I look forward to reading replies.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Cwood8656
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

I wear glasses with very thin, springy bows. On my very tight shark FF helmet I push the helmet against my ear/head on the side opposite the bow I’m trying to get over my ear. Repeat on the other side.

Hope this helps.

Chris-

Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
speedyrob
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Neotec

I also wear glasses but wanted full face coverage, especially for winter riding. I bought modular because when you put it on you can pull it apart a little to help slip it on over the noggin while you have your glasses on.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I usually have to use my fingers to help poke the foam lining out of the way as I put my glasses on.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 578 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyrob
I also wear glasses but wanted full face coverage, especially for winter riding. I bought modular because when you put it on you can pull it apart a little to help slip it on over the noggin while you have your glasses on.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

My glasses slide on no problem after putting on my neotec. Open the chin bar and slide them on. Can even lower the sun glasses built in the helmet

Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 PM
tajar66
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

I usually put on the helmet first then slide my glasses on. It does work better with different helmets and glasses.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I picked up a Shoei RF 1100 on the cheap to replace a pretty crappy FF I had and had not worn in years, since I wore contacts. I got this with reservation due to the concern of having a difficult time getting corrective lens glasses on using a FF. I have asked here before and at other times I have read where users use RX and have no issues. Well, I sure do hope there is a learning curve and I don't end up ruining any of my expensive glasses. I actually got my glasses on with the help of a pimple faced kid on YouTube LOL. So any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Glasses off
Install helmet over head
Replace glasses by fitting them between your sides of your head and the helmet's interior padding. Don't poke your ears during initial "pushback."
Cinch chin strap like you know you should.

Removal is the reverse, pretty much.

How old is the RF 1100? You might find a date tag somewhere in the interior. If over 5 years, it should see limited duty. If over 7 years, it's a shelf ornament.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Rf1100?!!! I had that helmet over decade ago. If it was was worn regularly, the damn thing is expired son! Buy a new helmet. Helmets arent the place where anyone should be cheaping out on.

http://motorcycle-central.com/why-do-motorcycle-helmets-expire/

On another note...never buy a used helmet. You never know the history of it. If it's been dropped at a decent height or washed with chemicals, the integrity of the helmet can be affected.

go spend the cash and buy a new helmet.

Quick Reply: Latest helmet and help appreciated