Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Maintentance Prices $$$$ (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1267925-maintentance-prices.html)

her1313 01-17-2019 10:26 PM

Maintentance Prices $$$$

The wife is always giving me hell about how expensive my 07 Fat-boy is to maintain. Yeah the tires are expensive, but would you agree that the bigger the tires the longer they last? I use synthetic oil so I go longer between changes. What everyone's opinion about the pricy maintenance for a Harley, is it really worth it?

kngpn 01-17-2019 10:42 PM

It depends on who’s doing the maintenance

Still probably cheaper than her

whocares 01-17-2019 10:45 PM

The bigger the tire the longest it last? Is this your first bike? After reading what you wrote,sell it.

FunGramps 01-17-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by her1313 (Post 17968281)
The wife is always giving me hell about how expensive my 07 Fat-boy is to maintain. Yeah the tires are expensive, but would you agree that the bigger the tires the longer they last? I use synthetic oil so I go longer between changes. What everyone's opinion about the pricy maintenance for a Harley, is it really worth it?

Compare with BMW bike maintenance costs. In comparison, BMW's seem to require more frequent maintenance intervals, and their prices are absolutely absurd. You pay for the elite logo. :(

ieatchickens 01-17-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by whocares (Post 17968310)
The bigger the tire the longest it last? Is this your first bike? After reading what you wrote,sell it.

I'm curious about your view point on this Please enlighten us with your logic.

TriGeezer 01-17-2019 11:20 PM

No, it’s not worth it. Sell it and buy a Vespa.

Squidbilly* 01-17-2019 11:57 PM

If your thinkin by bigger tyre,
As in diameter,
Any extra that ya pay to have the bigger rims&what not that go's with that mess and your gonna pay more,
No savings ratio on tread as compared to stock,

If not the senerio then forget what I said,

Mines well go with stock sizes,

They have cheeper companys that make the same tyre&sizes,
Depends on what you trust your life with,
Your Wife's life with iff'n she rides with ya,

More info from you than 1 post wonder is needed to make accurate assessment on your desired results,

Or forget what I posted,

bigbadpoppa 01-17-2019 11:57 PM

Bigger the tires, the longer they last.

lol...u made my day. Thanks.

Cossack84 01-18-2019 07:23 AM

Bike in general have higher maintenance cost because of safety factors that are associated with them. Most of the tires are very good, solid performers, but because they are not sold in same quantities as automobile tires, will cost way more. Same for brakes.
Also if you have someone doing work for you that adds up quick. All bikes are expensive to maintain.
I would suggest to politely point out to your better 3/4's that riding is mode of transport, plus hobby, plus, therapy, plus fun, plus hobby all rolled into one. If you start looking at how many things that bike covers, the cost of ownership is not that significant.

Cossack84 01-18-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by whocares (Post 17968310)

You just a ray of sunshine arn't you? Bet you are a life of the party, everywhere you go!
What a dick.