General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas on generating interest in motorcycling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Ideas on generating interest in motorcycling?

Many of you here on this forum have posted amazing photos of your trips and the amazing adventures on two wheels. Each time that I read about your trips I can't help but envy you a bit since I can't do the same due to funds, health, and family commitments. Well, I think that there are many people out there that would enjoy your trips the way that I do. So I was thinking, perhaps if someone was to produce a weekly show, maybe on PBS, where they would follow a different group of people each week on these fantastic rides throughout the country. Every week it would be a different group of riders.

The excitement that came across the screen on some of the old motorcycle movies surely helped increase ridership. I think that this show would probably do the same for today's generation. Imagine going to Wyoming and South Dakota. Maybe a night trip in the Arizona desert camping under the stars with your bike. Perhaps a day trip through the Tail of the Dragon. This show would not just be about riding but also about the friendships that are forged on two wheels. Spending time in the garage, riding out to meet some friends. Maybe throw in a rally or two. Heck, I am sure that even winter riding through a small town or around the farm with your grand children or kids would be fun to watch.

There are so many nice parts of the country that we would enjoy seeing the twisting roads, the landscape, the camaraderie, and most of all, the excitement that is enjoyed when it is just you, your bike and mother nature.

Maybe we could even make a YouTube channel where we share your adventures? Your thoughts?

Old 01-20-2019, 12:42 PM
RKDavid
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts

There are already many YouTube channels about motorcycles and traveling on motorcycles. The people that watch them are the ones that are interested, either because they do the same, watch or ideas, or just want to live vicariously through others. If you want to start another one, go ahead. Heck, come this summer I might even submitted some footage for it.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

How do you generate interest from the skinny jean crowd GENERATION AND BACK that lives at home and very very content with "virtual?"
On top of that, they need continual babby sitting through every scenario as it overwhelms them.
Do you think they are going to get on two wheels and go for a trip? When they can go there with a click of a mouse.!?
Who wants em or needs em!
No one ever had to pry me off the couch onto a bike or into any other Hobie I may have.
They are All SELF INFLICTED.

The following 5 users liked this post by Kingglide549:
cookiemech (01-20-2019), FunGramps (01-21-2019), Haarley (01-22-2019), nytryder (01-24-2019), tonyd2017 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

There are a lot of You Tube channels of trips, adventures and of course stupid stunts.
I created a You Tube channel because my family and friends don't understand what we do when we go for a ride. When they watched it they understood what we do and why. Have made videos mainly of riding. Unfortunately my wives health has gone down hill and we can't ride as much as we would like but still put videos together for our group with their photos. Sure the channel is not exactly what you are looking for but here it is anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxE...x22v8cQ/videos

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (01-23-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 PM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I like "Californias Gold". Gotta love Huell Howser. It would be cool to a see a show doing the same sort of thing with the host on a bike and a little more time spent focused on the ride. I don't see it happening though as youtube etc has it nailed down pretty much

Old 01-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

My take on this subject is that I really don't think anyone nowadays is interested in it, far as I can tell there's a huge percentage of people who hardly ever see the light of day. Cell phones and video games is where it's at not to mention wanting to live with their parents until they're dead. Hate to sound so cynical about it but my opinion is that we live in a no ***** world.

The following 5 users liked this post by Newharleylover:
BuckKnuckle (01-22-2019), cookiemech (01-20-2019), FunGramps (01-21-2019), Haarley (01-22-2019), nytryder (01-24-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
How do you generate interest from the skinny jean crowd GENERATION AND BACK that lives at home and very very content with "virtual?"
On top of that, they need continual babby sitting through every scenario as it overwhelms them.
Do you think they are going to get on two wheels and go for a trip? When they can go there with a click of a mouse.!?
Who wants em or needs em!
No one ever had to pry me off the couch onto a bike or into any other Hobie I may have.
They are All SELF INFLICTED.
Originally Posted by Newharleylover
My take on this subject is that I really don't think anyone nowadays is interested in it, far as I can tell there's a huge percentage of people who hardly ever see the light of day. Cell phones and video games is where it's at not to mention wanting to live with their parents until they're dead. Hate to sound so cynical about it but my opinion is that we live in a no ***** world.
Hate to say but I hope these opinions are wrong. But the way it is going....

Kingglide549 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Blue Scoot
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Like some others have already mentioned, some YouTube channels already do a lot of those rides.

Something that I always do is wave at kids when I'm on my motorcycle especially if they are out riding bikes. Hopefully one day that will make a kid want to get a motorcycle or at least gain some interest by me waving. It might let others know we are friendly and not everyone is in an MC if they ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Scoot:
Ernie DeBord (01-20-2019), mctraveler (01-23-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Hey Man; 01-20-2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Harley dealers would have to show motorcycle oriented presentations on their monitor. Not like the stuff my local plays on their monitor every day. Here's a glance.

https://youtu.be/p97DEl0KFU4

Is this really the stuff "bikers" are into today???????

Last edited by Hey Man; 01-20-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Kingglide549 (01-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Ideas on generating interest in motorcycling?