General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
ClutchHD911
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 15 more years until I can get to paradise but trusts me that’s the plan

Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Heard of a rider who purchased the entire gamut of heated clothing, Headed up to the north rim of the Grand Canyon in the fall. On the way back, the gear blew a fuse and he froze the rest of the way home. Make sure your fuses can handle the load. Wouldn't hurt to take some of those hand warmer packets, just in case.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:10 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Have to add my $.02 for Gerbing. Bought a pair of gloves off eBay, and the first time I used them, with temps only at 32 degrees, a wire stuck out through the insulation and burned my hand. I went to the website, sent them pictures of the spot on my hand, and the wires sticking out, and asked them what they were going to do. They only had 2 questions for me: 1) What size?, and 1) Where do we send the replacements? They arrived in less than a week, and have been working perfectly since. Best $80 I've invested in gear!! So far, the coldest I've ridden in was 13 degrees, WITHOUT the wind chill, and my hands were toasty warm when I got to work. Considering getting socks or insoles next. Otherwise, I just add layers under clothes for the rest, with thick heavy leathers (jacket and chaps) to keep the rest of me warm. I would consider getting jacket/pant liners, too, IF I could be SURE that I won't be draining the battery during the ride, since I'm only 10-15 minutes from home to work.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Heated Gear

I have Gordons Heated gear. Jacket liner with gloves and they work just fine. The new jacket liners from them utilize the micro wires so that you never feel the wires and the deerskin gloves are the softest I have ever worn. Their stuff isn't cheap but the quality is outstanding.
Went on a group ride today and it was about 18 degrees when I cleared the garage. My little bike has no windshield or any kind of fairing to redirect the wind so it was kind of chilly even with the heated gear. If I rode that bike a lot in winter, would have to do something about that.
Just to let the public know, the coal mining operation, on the Devil's Triangle, has ceased operation so no more coal truck to squeeze you on that road.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 PM
skills
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

I got my first ever heated jacket liner this Christmas, name brand is Venture. I'm sure it's better that the loaner that I used last season but I am disappointed to find that the collar on this liner is not heated. What's more disturbing is that the Venture Heated Riding Gear website shows this liner as HAVING a heated collar. Not sure if mine was just old stock and since been improved on, but it would make good sense that a heated liner should have heated collar standard feature. I suggest you ask your sales person when shopping

Old 01-24-2019, 08:27 AM
KDF72
Cruiser
Received 152 Likes on 63 Posts

Aerostitch gear is 1st class. I use their warmbib, covers the front and collar and keeps the torso warm. About $100, low current draw. They also have vests and jackets.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I have a heated jacket, but honestly never wear it. The below jacket and base layers are all I need down to 34 degrees. I don’t ride much below that due to the risk of ice, but with this stuff I’m perfectly comfortable with jeans, boots and a relatively mid weight leather jacket. Totally windproof and insulating

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RWBYRQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RWBYRQ/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...rmr-long-johns

Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 PM
big-C
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I have been using Gerbing's heated jacket liner for several years now and have been very happy with it. I have also added Gerbing gloves to my winter gear, but don't use them much anymore as my current bike has heated grips. When I was first looking at heated gear, I noticed they were all using the same plugs for the cords and controller. So instead of getting the Gerbing dual controller, I bought a First Gear wireless dual controller. I really like not having a cord attached to the controller and I'm able to put it where every I want it. If I ever have to replace my set up, I will stay will the wireless set up.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:53 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Its been snowing/raining in the shenandoah valley and finally got a dry sat. Got out for about 150 miles in 30 degree weather. Really needed it!

Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

This is what I do......

Hot Chillis
T-Shirt
Hoodie
HD Heavy Leather Jacket

Chaps for the bottom part of me.

The above works for me to 31 degrees. <-- The coldest I ever rode. None of it heated.

Quick Reply: Cold riding gear