General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Harley fix the M* oil in the air cleaner problem

Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,235 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Make sure your ol is not overfilled. Every f-n to:RC my dealer changes oil, they overfill it. When your oil is at operating temperature it should register 1/2 between full & add. If it’s at the full mark, you have a much higher chance of bow out.

BTW...your rationale for the big box and full filter...are highly speculative, and I think your are wrong. JMO..

Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Not all of the Harley air cleaner designs are enclosed on the bottom and the ones that are have plenty of room around the element to breath. I haven't had a problem ever with this oiling, I keep the oil level at less than full and it's so far worked for me.
Twin cam had venting problems too but outside of these few forum pages, to the vast majority of Harley riders, this "problem" does not exist.
As far as I can remember, this is the first Stock Harley Air Filter that I can recall that is designed this way, by which I mean, to hold a liquid on the bottom. Every other filter I can recall seeing may have been shrouded, but it was always open at the bottom, it was not designed like a cup.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:42 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Make sure your ol is not overfilled. Every f-n to:RC my dealer changes oil, they overfill it. When your oil is at operating temperature it should register 1/2 between full & add. If it’s at the full mark, you have a much higher chance of bow out.

BTW...your rationale for the big box and full filter...are highly speculative, and I think your are wrong. JMO..
Well, you are the guy that I should be talking to. You have 2 M8 touring bikes. From the picture it looks like you have the stock air cleaner is that correct?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,235 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRR
Well, you are the guy that I should be talking to. You have 2 M8 touring bikes. From the picture it looks like you have the stock air cleaner is that correct?
Correct. And by keeping the oil at the level I mentioned I have no blow out. And no gathering in the bottom of the air box. My 103 Twin Cam is much more sensitive. I have an open AC..and if I get a bit too much oil in the motor it blows out all over my exhaustbandcwife.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

Correct. And by keeping the oil at the level I mentioned I have no blow out. And no gathering in the bottom of the air box. My 103 Twin Cam is much more sensitive. I have an open AC..and if I get a bit too much oil in the motor it blows out all over my exhaustbandcwife.
On your Ultra do you have oil cooling or coolant?

You may not realize it, but the Dealer probably is not over-filling your oil. They are probably putting in the recommended amount of oil. If you google this problem you will find that people have to put in less oil than recommended in order to stop the blow-by.

Last edited by BobRR; 01-23-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I seriously doubt that Harley designed the M8's air cleaner to be a reservoir for oil condensation from crankcase ventilation.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,822 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I have been googling like mad trying to discover any known problems for the M8 engine. Most of the problems that I found I am not to concerned about , but there is one problem that I think might be real and I am wondering if they have address it?

Apparently, there is a problem with the breather oil accumulating in the air cleaner on long rides and eventually, leaking out and dripping onto the bike and blown back on to the bags (for a bagger).

Here is a picture of the stock air box on a M8 Touring bike. Look at it? It looks to me like it is designed to capture a significant amount of oil. This makes me think that the oil blow by problem might be real. When you put on a high flow air cleaner, that "air box" is removed from the bike.

Is this a problem for 2018 M8 engines? Also, recall, that the M8 engines are oil cooled. The have a 5.5 quart capacity if I remember. All of this is making me think that this could be a real problem.

Seriously ? You want to go there after 30 some years of evos and particularly twinkies puking oil out the air cleaner ? I beat on my M8 daily and at best I've seen a few drops after an oil change but I did dump that ugly *** stock air box.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 647 Likes on 278 Posts

As far as I can remember, this is the first Stock Harley Air Filter that I can recall that is designed this way, by which I mean, to hold a liquid on the bottom. Every other filter I can recall seeing may have been shrouded, but it was always open at the bottom, it was not designed like a cup.
I don't have an M8, so take it for what it worth.

Like others, I can't believe it was designed to hold liquid. Think about it. If it was designed to hold liquid, wouldn't it eventually get full? Does the service manual tell you to check it and empty it or clean it if you find liquid in it? Very likely the shape and the enclosed bottom have more to do with keeping the intake quiet.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Where all the geniuses who said the M8 vented to the transmission? Fess up boys

The M8 crankcase breather system is no more effective than the Twin Cam and shares the same basic design. Vent it to the ground and be done with it.

The following users liked this post:
danhahn (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Well, don't you find it odd that an air filter would not be exposed on all sides? A major factor in my suspicion is that I do not think that any stock filters for the Twin Cam were designed that way. I only see this kind of stock filter on the Touring bikes.

Also, I only see it on the 107 M8. I do not see it on the stock 114 bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did Harley fix the M* oil in the air cleaner problem