General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Harley Do Well at the $8,000 Level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:30 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Guy I work with commutes 45mi. one way on a 250 over the Altamont pass.
A 250 on a Windy day over the Altamont would suck.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,058 Likes on 11,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 23Seven

A 250 on a Windy day over the Altamont would suck.
Most often the only riding you can do on the Altamont is lane split, perfect for a 250.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:04 AM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Most often the only riding you can do on the Altamont is lane split, perfect for a 250.
Not gonna lie splitting the Altamont on my King is a tight squeeze but still doable.

TwiZted Biker (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 01:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I can get a a ninja 400 for half the price and double the fun.
I completely disagree.

MORE than double the fun AND have a competent motorcycle

Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
Harley has a great $8,000 motorcycle, it's called a used Road King.

I was gonna say 6k for a nice used Dyna but you're probably right.

TroubleHead Fred (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:42 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I was gonna say 6k for a nice used Dyna but you're probably right.
It would have been more accurate if I had said used "big twin" but the point is the same.

There is just too many better ways to spend $8K than on a Street model. When my oldest grandson turned 16 I bought him a cheap used Sportster to ride while he worked after school and saved for a better bike. When he turned 18 we went to get him a better, newer bike. He had about $6k saved up, I offered to pay the difference if he wanted to buy a brand new Street. He declined and bought a used Dyna. He is almost 21 now and is still very happy with his choice, I don't think that would be the case if he had bought the Street.

Campy Roadie (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:18 AM
LexM
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceHPM
I don't think the Street was ever intended for the US / Canada. The Street is a way of making money to keep H-D afloat using foreign markets. If you follow #harleydavidson on Instagram, especially the 'stories' (which gets weird real fast) you'll quickly see that the Street is popular in markets other than North America, especially India. Makes sense considering H-D brand attraction and that the Royal Enfield 500 is a big bike over there.
This, exactly. The Street 500 and 750 are likely more about making progress toward H-D's stated aim to derive 50% of sales outside North America. However, in order for those bikes to have credibility in markets _outside_ North America, they have to be offered for sale _in_ North America. Making the Street 500 the Riding Academy bike may turn out to be one of the most important things H-D has done lately, even if it yields relatively few North American sales of Street models.

Originally Posted by upflying
How is the Street doing in sales?
The only figure I have seen comes from this (undated – grrr! – but likely from late 2016 or early 2017) Bike Exif review of the then-new Street Rod:

Harley-Davidson have already sold 35,000 Street 750s worldwide, and it’s been the leading ‘competitive cruiser’ in the US for two years running.
Unfortunately, Bike Exif doesn't cite its source(s), so take this with the proverbial grain of salt.

Pugslycat01 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Pugslycat01
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

USA Today is currently running an article on the current brake recall (possible corrosion of the brake caliper piston bore) for the Street family of bikes. The article says H-D has recalled 43,908 bikes including 12,800 sold in the USA which will get replacement brake calipers front and rear. Those numbers tend to support what has been said here that the bike is targeted towards the overseas market more so than the domestic US market.

My heavily discounted 2016 xg750 was purchase NOS in January of 2017. It's been a perfectly adequate beginner bike and continues to do OK as a commuter bike. I mostly ride short trips on rural interstate highways without problems, but the bike isn't all that comfortable for longer rides. It's not necessarily a better beginner bike than a Sportster, but cost 2/3 what a new Sportster would have cost. As somebody who was new to motorcycles at the time, I really didn't want to buy somebody else's problems so was looking only at new bikes. I also didn't want to buy more bike than my limited skills could wrestle around a parking lot. Yes, I could have saved money and bought a used Road King or Dyna to start with, but I probably would have gotten tired of dropping those beasts in the parking lot and given up riding before I really got starting. That's why there is a niche for small bikes like the Street and Sportster families.

Last year I bought a used XL1200C for less than I paid for the Street 750. I only felt comfortable buying a used bike in late 2018 because of the two seasons I had put in riding the Street and learning about bikes in general.

I don't see a shiny new Street family bike being considered an upgrade by anybody, unless they are already riding a scooter or Honda Grom. If you are already riding a bigger bike I don't know why you would consider one of these unless you had a very specific need for a smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient bike.

The Street bikes really aren't bad for what they are, but that's all that they are. They are a gateway drug to the H-D lineup. The company needs people buying and riding those first bikes, though, as those people are the future softail and touring bike buyers.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pugslycat01:
AgentOrange883 (01-30-2019), LexM (01-29-2019), TwiZted Biker (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM
LexM
Intermediate
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugslycat01
USA Today is currently running an article on the current brake recall (possible corrosion of the brake caliper piston bore) for the Street family of bikes. The article says H-D has recalled 43,908 bikes including 12,800 sold in the USA which will get replacement brake calipers front and rear. Those numbers tend to support what has been said here that the bike is targeted towards the overseas market more so than the domestic US market.
As the production period of the recall covers all but about the first six months of Street availability, it's rough evidence of both how many Street model bikes have been sold to date and the likely breakdown of US (~30%) and foreign (~70%) sales. (The USA Today article is here.)

Old 01-30-2019, 06:57 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Here in the Philippines, the Street, Iron and 48 sell very well. Enfields and the little triumph bobber are also hot tickets. And the Street owners do seem to move up within a few years. So at least in SE Asia, HD is doing well. We have two stores in Manila, one in Cebu and another one opening in Davao. The Manila stores are expected to sell 300 units per year. Doesnt matter if its a Street or Ultra. Its really just to get market share at this point.

All bikes except the touring are assembled in Thailand and that has reduced cost a lot but its price is still a lot more than the same bike sold in the USA. We don't care where its made, just brand image.

Quick Reply: Does Harley Do Well at the $8,000 Level?