General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice test ride on 2018 Road King today

Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
It's wonderful alright, but I'm not taking your opinion on that based on your test ride. And exactly how does one ride a bike 'like a bagger'? You wouldn't find one RK rider here say anything that weird.
I can't understand it for you.

It means that you do not have to let the type of bike you have define the way you ride. (ie "Oh, I have a bagger now and I am going to ride it like a bagger".) I am speaking only for the Road King, this may not be true for the other larger Touring Bike.

I am growing as a rider and these comments represent things that I learn (and unlearn) on MY journey. Basically, because of these realizations, I am not afraid to part with my Fat Boy. I realize now, that if I give up my Fat Boy for the Road King, I do not have to change my riding style all that much and I do not have to give up as much of the thrill that I thought I would lose. And I realize that there is a different thrill waiting on the Road King, and provides an opportunity for me to improve my skill on the motorcycle. All of this, I did not know just a few days ago.

The M8 Road King is good for all riding situations. I specifically say the M8 Road King because FOR ME the Twin Cam is not a nice bike to ride around town to do errands. From my experience, the Twin Cam is not a fun bike to ride at speeds less that 45 mph. On the M8 Road King you can go from riding in town doing an errand, to country roads to entering a highway and the bike feels good (TO ME) in all those situations.

Last edited by BobRR; 01-27-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Well BobRR, if you could have one bike, and one bike only, I think the Road King would make a great choice. I made a "fun bike" out of my Road King, and even tho its starting to show its age, it's still a fun bike to me.

The following users liked this post:
BobRR (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

hmm I have a sportster and a Fatboy, and a RG.
I kinda ride them all the same except my hardtail Bigdog and I watch out for road bumps a little more.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:29 AM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by heybaylor
hmm I have a sportster and a Fatboy, and a RG.
I kinda ride them all the same except my hardtail Bigdog and I watch out for road bumps a little more.
Well, not everyone can have three bikes.

What we are talking about is the situation where you have to give up the one you have to get the next one.

As 6gun said, if you are in a situation where you can only have ONE bike, the Road King is probably the best bike to have!

Last edited by BobRR; 01-27-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Would have never thought of the difference that way. They both ride a little different, but not "that" different. ...
Yes, that's about it.
I went from my beloved 2015 Fat Boy to the 2018 Road King (standard model; not the special). The Road King does indeed ride very handily, much like a cruiser. But it has the Touring stability on the high-speed highways too. Both great bikes. Fat is where it's at, but the King is King.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Wondering if this imaginary Road King had the optional Ram Air package

Originally Posted by BobRR
The way you throw it around.

You should actually try the two back to back. Try one without the tourpak on. Not much different.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:02 PM
QNman
Supporter

...I specifically say the M8 Road King because FOR ME the Twin Cam is not a nice bike to ride around town to do errands. From my experience, the Twin Cam is not a fun bike to ride at speeds less that 45 mph. On the M8 Road King you can go from riding in town doing an errand, to country roads to entering a highway and the bike feels good (TO ME) in all those situations.
Then I'd say you have very VERY limited "experience".

As you said.... I can't understand it for you. But I CAN share my experience.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by QNman
Then I'd say you have very VERY limited "experience".

As you said.... I can't understand it for you. But I CAN share my experience.
I would say that you might be the one with the limited experience. Get on an M8 Road King.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

... Twin Cam is not a nice bike to ride around town to do errands. From my experience, the Twin Cam is not a fun bike to ride at speeds less that 45 mph. On the M8 Road King you can go from riding in town doing an errand, to country roads to entering a highway and the bike feels good (TO ME) in all those situations.
Why is the twin cam not a good motor at slow speeds? Lots of people have it and love it. Curious why?

Old 01-27-2019, 12:27 PM
QNman
Supporter

I would say that you might be the one with the limited experience. Get on an M8 Road King.
Lol. I've ridden the M8 back-to-back, RGS to RGS on the same route, same day, and found that the M8 is scooter and has more low end grunt than a stock twinkie - but not much.

If I were buying a bike today and I was coming from a cruiser to a bagger, I'd try to stick with the M8 too, but not because the twinkie is inadequate. Because the M8 will hold its value better. As it stands, I don't think the M8 offers enough to warrant starting over on mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nice test ride on 2018 Road King today