General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley announces profits wiped out by trade tariffs

Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,340 Likes on 842 Posts

If, by adding new riders, they mean that's how many people attended their classes, that might be a supportable position.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 AM
KMC1
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
The last time we had an economy this great was in the 90s and early 2000s Harley sold 350K bikes a year and one had to wait months for them and many paid over MSRP. Showrooms were empty.

Today we are in a BETTER economy and Harley cannot sell enough bikes.....Doesn't bode well for the next recession. If Harley can't sell enough bikes in this economy, they cannot possibly last very long when the tide turns as it ALWAYS does,
I want to respond to this, but I am not a regular commenter and I get the impression any post that even begins to discuss the truth about globalization or the effects of "offshoring" will see said poster sent to banned camp - so I guess I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. What has happened to America when you can't even have an honest discussion??

Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike
Harley will survive, whether it’s the same company is yet to be seen. Maybe Fiat or TaTa motors will buy them. LOL

I think the company is trying to turn the tide with their core customers getting too old to ride. They need to appeal to the younger aging customers that want to dress up like pirates while also creating a product for the younger crowd. It takes time and won’t happen overnight. Do they have the right people at the helm to make it happen though?

I’m not invested in HD stock and could care less about the company’s performance. I’m 56 and bought my last new HD. Not because I’m too old but the new bikes are priced crazy with massive depreciation. There are too many gems out there on the used market. If Harley goes under tomorrow, there are enough aftermarket companies making parts to keep my bike running long after I’ve stopped riding. There are still 60, 70, 80 year old HD’s still on the road. But fret not, HD won’t be going out of business anytime soon, the brand is just too big.
“ But fret not, HD won’t be going out of business anytime soon, the brand is just too big. “

Yeah Ok ... So I guess you could say the same thing about General Motors and its laying off of over 14,000 workers and likely to close 3 manufacturing plants March 1.

Harleys shutting down it’s Kansas plant and moving the sporty line to York .... Nothing to worry about huh?.

Managment becomes complacent, the market changes and before they realize what’s going on, It’s happened , it’s too late and the baby’s been thrown out with the bath water.

Too late Mr HD , it’s 2019 now and no one wants to buy a motorcycle for the price of a family car.

Wiz Out 🍻

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 02-08-2019 at 02:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 AM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

“ But fret not, HD won’t be going out of business anytime soon, the brand is just too big. “

Yeah Ok ... So I guess you could say the same thing about General Motors and its laying off of over 14,000 workers and likely to close 3 manufacturing plants March 1.

Harleys shutting down it’s Kansas plant and moving the sporty line to York .... Nothing to worry about huh?.

Managment becomes complacent, the market changes and before they realize what’s going on, It’s happened , it’s too late and the baby’s been thrown out with the bath water.

Too late Mr HD , it’s 2019 now and no one wants to buy a motorcycle for the price of a family car.

Wiz Out 🍻

Another thing people don't realize is that in situations like this there are people running the show that do not keep looking for new solutions or new idea's because in their sick twisted mind that would show/prove they have been wrong in what they have been saying and doing. I was taught and raised that you research, go over things again and again, listen to other peoples ideas until you find the way to solve the problem or accomplish the task at hand.

I had a thread titled "open letter to Harley Davidson" that had over 3 months of research, 40 years riding experience, managing experience and car and motorcycle aftermarket experience. I had a team already picked out to help save the Kansas City plant and help turn around the decline in sales.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,995 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Of course they're are going to say that profits are being wiped out because of trade tariffs. What else would they say? That their motorcycles are too damn expensive for what you get and that they are just as prone to breaking down as they've always been? Of course not. The people that cause the problem are never the ones to blame for the problems.

The following users liked this post:
SBRob (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well that ain't true. I bought 2 in the last 12 months. And judging by the number of guys posting pics of their new M8's on instagram and facebook, i'm not the only one.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,655 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Default Profits

Fake News .Ask Harley how much money was saved by corporate tax cuts from 38 percent to 22 ? January economy figures showed a 100 percent increase in monthly job perticipation rate,the largest in history. US economy added 304.000 new jobs in January and 312.000 in December 2018. 3.2 percent increase in employee pay, average hourly wage is now $27.56 per hour. Labor perticipation rate rose to 63.2 percent. S & P posted best January since 1987, and the Dow posted the best gains since 1989. Stop the BS about tariffs hurting the bottom line at Harley, find a mirror and give it to Matt Levatich and tell him to look at himself. How much ROI and option profit did he make in his 401k and his investment accounts ? Unemployment is at 3.9 percent the lowest in fifty years ! Stop crying With two loads of bead under each arm !

Last edited by TheMurf; 02-08-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraRacer
Another thing people don't realize is that in situations like this there are people running the show that do not keep looking for new solutions or new idea's because in their sick twisted mind that would show/prove they have been wrong in what they have been saying and doing. I was taught and raised that you research, go over things again and again, listen to other peoples ideas until you find the way to solve the problem or accomplish the task at hand.

I had a thread titled "open letter to Harley Davidson" that had over 3 months of research, 40 years riding experience, managing experience and car and motorcycle aftermarket experience. I had a team already picked out to help save the Kansas City plant and help turn around the decline in sales.
One thing I’ve noticed here in the US and other countries that I’ve lived in is that ,
The boss is always right,
The boss has the best ideas,
The boss has the only idea,
The boss has the only viable solution to implement. The boss knows everything cos after all he’s
THE BOSS.

But it’s not until the company starts to loose profits and market share that he finally starts to pay attention,
but it’s way too late to recover.

Time to take my bonus cheque and find another company to run into the ground.

Wiz 🤨

Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,995 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Well that ain't true. I bought 2 in the last 12 months. And judging by the number of guys posting pics of their new M8's on instagram and facebook, i'm not the only one.
P.T. Barnum was right.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,872 Likes on 17,361 Posts

Originally Posted by KMC1
I want to respond to this, but I am not a regular commenter and I get the impression any post that even begins to discuss the truth about globalization or the effects of "offshoring" will see said poster sent to banned camp - so I guess I'll just keep my thoughts to myself. What has happened to America when you can't even have an honest discussion??
I say give it a shot and let's see what happens. Maybe you'll get off with a stern "tsk, tsk".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley announces profits wiped out by trade tariffs