General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed cargo trailers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
...and tires, and seats, and bars, and helmets, and...
,,,,,,,,, well sure !

If I were a MC trailer maker I might consider sponsoring such a thread as a way of direct marketing to MC riders. Other than on the POD, most HD Forum members do probably own a motorcycle.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I have 5x8 Diamond Cargo V nose, single axle, low profile trailer. It comes in handy for my work and fits my ST or SG with no problem. I use a Condor Pit Stop wheel chock with never an issue. I sleep on a cot and it's pretty decent all things considered.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

Nice y'all…. I camped when I raced.... small Coleman popup tent camper with bike in back of the van. was a good deal for me and my family. Until wife hade enough! My riding buddy has talked about doing something like this. Now we are both retired, he's mentioned getting a trailer and hauling the bikes out west to spend our time riding. Part of me is ok with this, and part of me is not so much.
I would pack wheel bearings yearly. Check your lights often. And tire pressure. Make sure you have a good hitch hook up and good safety chains. And cross them when you hook up! To start, I would use good old camp or Army cots and sleeping bags. Coolers to carry your food. And I would consider a small camp generator for power if you really need it. I have nothing against people hauling their bikes. Everybody has their limits. We have historically ridden on all our annual trips. And it usually rains! A trailer may allow us to travel farther away in same amount of time, although time is no longer an issue as we are both retired! Oh well.... probably find that we will continue to ride as we always do.
I would continue to ask your questions here. And be prepared for all the nay-sayers!!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

2017 R&R trailer I had built specifically to haul one bike. 6' x 12' all aluminum. Rear stabilizers, ramp assist, 360 rock guards, one-piece roof, all-white interior and plenty of interior led lighting. I installed a receiver for the Condor chock, plus E-track on the floor. I've owned and used a lot of trailers for various purposes over the years. I definitely prefer tandem axles to single, though singles work just fine. Brakes are a must-have on any trailer I tow. The rear stabilizers make it nice for loading and unloading without having to be hooked up. The trailer gets very little use, but it's great to have when I really need to take the bike somewhere in winter, or when riding would be extremely impractical.

Attachment 619133

Attachment 619134

Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.......... cuz no one here trailers
Now that’s a good one!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dillbilly Bone
2017 R&R trailer I had built specifically to haul one bike. 6' x 12' all aluminum. Rear stabilizers, ramp assist, 360 rock guards, one-piece roof, all-white interior and plenty of interior led lighting. I installed a receiver for the Condor chock, plus E-track on the floor. I've owned and used a lot of trailers for various purposes over the years. I definitely prefer tandem axles to single, though singles work just fine. Brakes are a must-have on any trailer I tow. The rear stabilizers make it nice for loading and unloading without having to be hooked up. The trailer gets very little use, but it's great to have when I really need to take the bike somewhere in winter, or when riding would be extremely impractical.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I don't own a trailer for hauling my scooter ( although I have one that I tow with my scooter ... flame on? ) but I have often thought that it would be nice to have for those situations when it make things more convenient .. Sure don't feel it necessary to question ones reasoning for having or using one when the situation arises ... I'd consider having one another tool to add to the collection.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:02 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,781 Likes on 6,211 Posts

I wouldn't mind a used dual-axle one for my tractor for around $1K, Doesn't even have to be enclosed. But all I've found is either too expensive, not roadworthy, or a scam.
But if you see either one of my bikes on one, they must be broken.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Here's mine. I trailer my bike all the time because I CAMP. When I go to Sturgis, I stay at least a month in the Black Hills. Same with Daytona.
I’ve never seen pop outs on the side of a cargo trailer. That’s a very clever sleeping solution.

Can you purchase a trailer built that way or did you customize yourself?

Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

One of those garage floor plastic covers makes a nice floor in your trailer, keep the plywood from looking dirty like most do pretty quick. More protection if snow is an issue. On the wheel bearings a lot of oem trailer hubs have Chevron Starplex grease in the bearings, and I wouldn't use that stuff, it's hygroscopic which seems to be misunderstood by a lot of people. That means it absorbs water, ok for a little bit to keep a couple water drops from making rust spots, but when it gets saturated (and you can tell, it's bright red turns pink) it rusts the whole bearing. Flushing this out if you have a bearing buddy type setup isn't enough, you need to pull the bearing and clean it, then repack with a quality grease. This photo shows what my bearings with starplex looked like right after I got this trailer, had only been rained on, never went through a puddle. You can see rust streaks in the grease already.

I don't like the idea of Chinese tires (on every trailer I've looked at), bought a pair of American made Goodyears with a higher load rating, too. They're on my flat bed single axle, and will go on the front axle of my 16' enclosed for anything out of the local area. I got new rims for them, so I can carry the originals as spares. There's a variety of locks for trailers, I have a locking hitch pin, lock for the coupler handle and a lock for the coupler when it's off the hitch. None of these will stop thieves with the right tools, but might discourage those looking for easy targets.

I've never seen these mentioned on this forum, but I got a hitch scale so I can be sure I have the load balanced properly. I need a hitch weight that can be as much as 480 lbs and I'm not guessing that kind of weight. I've seen trailers weaving badly behind the tow vehicle, and don't ever want mine doing that with an unbalanced load.

Amazon Amazon

And don't forget to grease the hitch ball and receiver, I've seen a lot of people tow them dry. They do get dirty, so I clean and re-grease every use.

The following users liked this post:
StoneTrekker (01-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Enclosed cargo trailers