Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Queens

 
  #1  
Old 01-30-2019, 04:44 PM
gatorlaw
gatorlaw is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nonya, BS
Posts: 2,503
Recieved 212 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Garage Queens

As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that **** to those that actually ride.
 
The following 2 users liked this post by gatorlaw:
sportglide (02-10-2019), tar_snake (01-30-2019)
  #2  
Old 01-30-2019, 04:54 PM
upflying's Avatar
upflying
upflying is offline
Extreme HDF Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 19,105
Recieved 4,006 Likes on 2,333 Posts
Default

No boutique "live to ride" trinkets and jewelry on my bike. I still have stock grips, imagine that.
 
  #3  
Old 01-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Crazy's Avatar
Crazy
Crazy is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 2,748
Recieved 222 Likes on 157 Posts
Default

Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.
 
The following 6 users liked this post by Crazy:
crazytown (02-11-2019), Gumbie013 (02-09-2019), Halojumper (02-08-2019), HiDrag (02-11-2019), sportglide (02-10-2019), Tony P (02-11-2019)
  #4  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:41 PM
Dynamick's Avatar
Dynamick
Dynamick is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 4,760
Recieved 1,405 Likes on 953 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gatorlaw View Post
As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that **** to those that actually ride.

The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that **** on their bikes
 
The following 6 users liked this post by Dynamick:
4 inch pistons (02-01-2019), DanHappy (01-31-2019), Kingglide549 (01-30-2019), MikeBel (01-31-2019), Schex (02-01-2019), tar_snake (01-30-2019)
  #5  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 PM
0maha's Avatar
0maha
0maha is online now
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Omaha
Posts: 4,878
Recieved 1,528 Likes on 729 Posts
Default

The PO of my ElectraGlide (10k miles in 24 years) put some LTR-RTL stuff on her. I kept the derby cover. If asked, I call it "period correct".
 
  #6  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 PM
saltlick's Avatar
saltlick
saltlick is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,635
Recieved 206 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.
 
The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-30-2019)
  #7  
Old 01-30-2019, 05:57 PM
VAFish
VAFish is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 611
Recieved 166 Likes on 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.
I've watched bikes go from $5,000 down to $3,000 then offered them $2,000. The guy had put just over 400 miles on the bike in 6 years.

Watched one about 2000 883 sportster, it was yellow, the had extra driving lights, a goofy windshield, floor boards, and he was asking $6,500 for it in the spring. By October he was down to $3,500 and it finally sold, don't know what he accepted for it.
 

Last edited by VAFish; 01-30-2019 at 05:58 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 PM
TroubleHead Fred's Avatar
TroubleHead Fred
TroubleHead Fred is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Over the Hill
Posts: 1,895
Recieved 487 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saltlick View Post
i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.
I hear the horror stories of bikes parked like that not being good but in reality that isn't my experience with them at all. I'm betting a fresh tank of gas and a battery and the bike would fire right up if it was in good shape when parked. I do like to "break them in" a little at first just to make sure everything is going to mesh. I've brought many stored bikes back to life and haven't really had any trouble with them.
 
  #9  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:16 PM
leftyjm's Avatar
leftyjm
leftyjm is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 644
Recieved 69 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gatorlaw View Post
As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that **** to those that actually ride.
Who cares. It’s pretty much their choice isn’t it. There’s a lot more important things to worry about.
Are you with the mileage police?
 
The following 4 users liked this post by leftyjm:
albngore (01-30-2019), Ernie DeBord (02-12-2019), Marty31 (01-31-2019), Scudda (02-11-2019)
  #10  
Old 01-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Oko's Avatar
Oko
Oko is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 1,035
Recieved 250 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that **** on their bikes
Nope. It was the first bling I installed by swapping out the stock gas cap cover for the HD LIVE TO RIDE one. I’m about 10k per year of riding. Gotta up those stats to compete with all the retired folks that do 20k per year!
 
The following users liked this post:
roox (02-08-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: