General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacked out bikes and visibility

Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi-viz works, but like others have said, you have to be looking up to see it. All the highway people wear orange or green, they stand out pretty well. Military bases require a safety orange vest when riding, maybe buy the black bike and get a new jacket?

Last edited by mitchxout; 01-31-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 01-31-2019, 02:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

The brightest lights in the world are ineffective when other driver's eyes are on their crotches.
Sound, being omni directional, might be an avenue to investigate, however...

Yes, I said it.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan06
Looking at new Road Kings lately, and would prefer a standard, but there is one ***** of a good deal nearby on a Road King Special. black. Not nuts about just one headlight, especially with no chrome on this bike, and am concerned about not being seen by all those zombie cell phone retards out there. For you guys that have gone from a bagger with passing lamps to a blacked out bike with just one light, did you notice more issues in traffic than before?
I remember a study on motorcycle accidents where the researchers observed the vast majority of bikes involved in accidents were black. It's common sense. What colors are high visibility safety clothing? You don't ever see road crews, etc, wearing all black.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:46 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,088 Likes on 23,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
I remember a study on motorcycle accidents where the researchers observed the vast majority of bikes involved in accidents were black. It's common sense. What colors are high visibility safety clothing? You don't ever see road crews, etc, wearing all black.
"Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,386 Likes on 16,296 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan06
Checked out those led inserts for the signal lights. They look pretty good. Got to make up my mind now which bike I want. A few left over 2018's around here with real good discounts. A heritage marked down 4000 and the Road King Special about 7000, Both in black though, and I really would rather have red, but kind of hard to pass up that deal.
Seriously $7,000 off a RK special? You can get one for $16,000? Where is that HD store? I would trade in a heartbeat. I prefer the green on those but $7,000 off, I could live with nearly any color.

Edit: I see that '19s have the 114 motor. That makes sense now. Still a good price though

Last edited by Walter White; 01-31-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
If you ride with the mindset that you are virtually invisible to others on the road, .

Nope...you ride with the mindset that they see you...and are trying to kill you....

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
fxdup (01-31-2019), soldierbot (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 898 Posts

Count me among those who think bike color has little to do with overall visibility and accident prevention. Well...maybe some colors could get you deliberately targeted, lol. My ride is black. I think the best visual thing is lights and plenty of them. LEDs are superior in bright sunlight. I've got the front and rear of my bike very well lit with LEDs. I actually worry more about getting hit from behind, as there's little I can do avoid impending impact. On the other hand, I can ride to avoid what's in front of, or coming toward me. Between the tour pack lights, air wing rack lights, keystone filler lights, and BAL tail light....all LED....when I hit the brakes I'm probably 5x as bright as a car.

The one situation where bright bike color might help would be situations where a driver has many visual distractions and could inadvertently miss a dark bike against a darker background...most likely in congested traffic with turn lanes and lots of things happening. If I rode in serious traffic routinely I would likely wear high visibility vests, jackets or shirts and helmet.

I don't have any problem admitting I ride completely on the defensive when there are cars and deer on the road.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

you do realize that if you really wanted to add those passing lights back on that it is not against the rules to do so? in fact, i bet you could even buy the parts from hd, i am quite sure they would be happy to take (more of) your money....

you still won't be seen though.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:23 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,036 Likes on 11,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
Hmm, I guess LEO agencies running all black police cars with LEO's inside wearing all black uniforms are just not into safety.
My concern with neon yellow motorcycle clothing is the false sense of security it might give the person wearing it.
Kind of like only crossing a road at a crosswalk because pedestrians think it's safer.
Hi-Viz makes no difference to a texting/drunk/impaired/not paying attention drivers.
Maybe researchers discovered the majority of bikes involved in crashes were black because most motorcycles are black.

Last edited by upflying; 01-31-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:30 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,088 Likes on 23,226 Posts

I would rather get hit...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blacked out bikes and visibility