General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 829 Posts

I don't hafta wear a helmet (Michigan) but I do.
Just sayin'...

Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

We are a helmet optional state..... I almost always wear a half helmet in the hot weather and a 3/4 helmet in colder weather. Had full face Bell Moto when I raced dirt bikes...summer/hot weather/sweaty head. I survived all this. I still wear a helmet today. I will not in a parade situation or a short ride of similar function. But if I go anyplace it's with a helmet. I understand what you are trying to say. Interesting. And it is our choice. We just need to understand the full effects of our decisions!
Now I know half helmet is not the best, but it is a minimum. I know my risks and accept them. I have had thoughts of late of getting a full face, but haven't gone beyond. I don't care if you wear a helmet or not. Your choice. Your decision.
I don't care if you ride a motorcycle or not. Your choice.
I don't care if you carry a weapon or not. Your choice.
I don't care if you wave back or not. Your choice.
Just don't push your beliefs on me and expect me to follow them!!

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (02-04-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:11 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I have made up my mind, Do Not Confuse Me With Facts,,,,,,LOL
PS I am a 3/4 helmet kinda guy.

Last edited by 6 gun; 02-01-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Yes BUT I am not preaching what others should do.

The point is, wearing a helmet does make a diff. <-- More factual than not.
So does using condoms or other effective birth control. Just sayin.

tar_snake (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:22 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 825 Posts

I ride with two good friends who NEVER wear a helmet. I always wear a helmet. Their choice. My choice. No problems.

mcgee10 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

No helmet guy here....and just think I made it to 59.....But I will say if you feel the need for one then by god wear one!!!!
My wife always wears hers.
When going on trip that requires interstate travel I do wear my bell half helmet.

tar_snake (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

People that wear helmets believe the 300% opinion/fact, people who don't wear helmets don't, or just ignore stuff like this.
Any sane person who thinks this stuff is true and doesn't wear a helmet is (fill in the blank).

Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 PM
charliegriefer
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Somebody above asked for a link to the "facts". I did see that stat with a link to the report posted somewhere recently, but can't find it now :\

It makes sense, tho. More risk, more potential danger/damage. Get on a bike, you have a higher risk of getting injured than somebody in a car. Get on a bike without the gear, you run a higher risk of getting injured that somebody that's geared up. I'd think that whether you're ATGATT or not, it would just make sense.

Personally, I ride FF when it's cold. I have a skullcap that I wear when it's warmer, or I just throw on a do-rag (need to protect the fully exposed scalp to sunburn).

I don't preach. Everybody has different levels of risk tolerance and risk aversion. The fact that we're on motorcycles at all means we probably have a higher risk tolerance than most. Beyond that, ride your ride and enjoy it. I may ride without a lid when I can (also, legal in my state), but I don't care if I see somebody fully geared up head-to-toe. If that's what helps them enjoy their ride, more power to 'em.

2WheelNut (02-06-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,520 Likes on 6,890 Posts

I owe my life to a helmet so I wear one. I was 17 yrs old and a car ran a stop sign and I hit at the center post, baseline skull fracture, jaw hinges broke, fractured in 3 places, cheekbone fractured, 8 teeth gone. Nurse came upon the accident and assisted until ambulance came. Facial reconstruction, jaw wired for 6 weeks, lots of soup and watery mashed potatoes. Still riding at 65 yrs old; however, every time I ride the memory of that stays in my head.

Everyone can do what they want, no issues from me. Just saying, I ride wearing a helmet. Don't need no stink'n statistics, I am one - lol.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought a bike from a guy who made fun of me for wearing a helmet. His argument was if he crashed, he would rather be dead than a vegetable.

Pretty sure that’s like just not wearing a seatbelt that would most likely save you because you’d just rather fly through a windshield and be dead.

I have people that rely on me, so I wear a helmet to increase my odds of still being around. Really doesn’t bother me at all, my riding is no less enjoyable with it, don’t see why it’s a big issue. Kind of like wearing pants, sure it’s great to not wear them, but you just put them on, go to work, and that’s just how it goes.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.