General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:47 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Darwin...

Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Buzz, I remember you looking for a lid a while back. What did you end up getting?

Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
I bought a bike from a guy who made fun of me for wearing a helmet. His argument was if he crashed, he would rather be dead than a vegetable.

Pretty sure that’s like just not wearing a seatbelt that would most likely save you because you’d just rather fly through a windshield and be dead.

I have people that rely on me, so I wear a helmet to increase my odds of still being around. Really doesn’t bother me at all, my riding is no less enjoyable with it, don’t see why it’s a big issue. Kind of like wearing pants, sure it’s great to not wear them, but you just put them on, go to work, and that’s just how it goes.
I have heard people make that argument as well, which is rather silly since it assumes that if you crash without a helmet you will die. And if you crash with a helmet you end up with a traumatic brain injury. So the only two scenarios are vegetable or death. You learn something new every day LOL.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

First world winter issues........ Where'd I leave my gas cap again?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Not a big surprise, actually.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:14 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I am PRO CHOICE pretty much EVERYTHING! Helmets, pregnancy, firearms, etc... I DETEST the gov or ANYONE telling me what I can and can not do.

Having said that, I just came back from my annual ophthalmologist appt. He does emergency coverage for 2 of the major (large) hospital emergency rooms in Palm Beach & Broward counties.

He asked me if I wear a helmet when I ride. I said "always.". He said good. Then followed up with an "off the cuff" remark (NOT in a condescending way at all) he said matter of factly, that when Florida passed the law riding with a helmet is optional for whatever age it is and above, his calls to the ER for bike related accidents (be it damage he had to fix or as a consult) went up 300%.

This thread is not meant to be another long drawn out discussion about helmets for the bazillionth time. It is just an interesting "fact" to note. His staff figured the numbers on his call outs over the years. A 300% increase for bike related issues.

Huh..........
Only ****** wear helmets huh ?, But then there’s this chick that would have lived if she was wearing one.

Its your head ands ya makes ya choicz

Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Thankfully the choice as to whether to wear a helmet or not was removed 50 odd years ago here. I suppose it depends on how much you value freedom of choice and wind in your hair (if you still have any) over your turnip and own mortality perhaps?

Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

How is this thread any different to all the other helmet/no helmet threads?

Old 02-02-2019, 04:27 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
This thread is not meant to be another long drawn out discussion about helmets for the bazillionth time. It is just an interesting "fact" to note. His staff figured the numbers on his call outs over the years. A 300% increase for bike related issues.

Huh..........
And yet, wanna bet that is exactly what it will turn into? We are all well aware of the facts. I don’t know any riders that think it’s safe to ride without a helmet but I know a lot of them that do it anyway, myself included on occasion. I used to never wear a helmet. Last summer I forced myself to start wearing one and eventually bought an expensive Shoei FF, my theory being that I would feel obligated to wear it since I had so much money tied up in it. I love my Shoei and don’t usually roll a wheel without it but there are still those times when I like to turn my hat around backwards and go down the road with no lid. It’s liberating. It’s also dangerous and I know it. Those who ride without helmets all the time know it too but most of them figure riding a motorcycle is dangerous anyway and if they were expecting to crash they wouldn’t get on the damn thing in the first place.

The following users liked this post:
Higgy66 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Only ****** wear helmets huh ?, But then there’s this chick that would have lived if she was wearing one.

Its your head ands ya makes ya choicz
I wasn't going to bother getting involved until reading the post quoted above. The girl that died is not concerned about her injuries or death, she doesn't even know said injuries/death occurred. What helmet threads don't discuss, probably because most people don't think about an aspect with which they aren't familiar, is that most head injuries don't result in immediate, or even sure, death,. Sometimes 'life', such as it is, goes on. Blunt force trauma can cause injuries or death. But usually it requires a large amount of blunt force trauma to result in adverse affects to a person's life.

Head injuries are special in that a little injury can go a long way in affecting a person's life. Another difference is that, generally speaking, blunt force trauma is more likely to be fixable then are head injuries.

Make a choice carefully. It is not as simple as life or death.

Last edited by rjg883c; 02-02-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.