General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Actually it could effect you along with everyone else that rides. We all know when injuries increase and insurance companies pay out more in claims those expenses are passed on to everyone paying for bike or health insurance.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 623 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Id say she had a better than average chance of surviving the impact with a helmet on.

Im not saying that you have to wear one, I don’t give a rats *** if you don’t, Just don’t be stupid enough to say that it it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Think about that next time you say bye to ya loved ones, I’m just going out for a bit, Be back home soon.

Ride safe man ��

Wiz
I live in Missouri,, I am required to wear a helmet.... If they ever change the law here, then it's a decision I will have to think about when the time comes. My only point was helmet or not she could of had other injuries that could of caused her death.Or she could of hit the pavement ,or whatever so hard that a helmet would not of mattered... I'm sorry to see anyone die (well maybe 99 percent of the people that do)

Last edited by HarleyBob52; 02-02-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

...and yet, people still think they are so good, that they don't see any benefit to wearing a real FF helmet...

Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I'm surprised some of yall ride a motorcycle at all.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:33 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
...and yet, people still think they are so good, that they don't see any benefit to wearing a real FF helmet...

I would quit riding if I were required to wear a FF.

It would take away the enjoyment as much as wearing a Condom with my wife would.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:29 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I would quit riding if I were required to wear a FF.

It would take away the enjoyment as much as wearing a Condom with my wife would.
When I rode (commuted year round on the bike,) I wore the FF in the winter. Other than that my go-to is a 3/4 that I can wear all day long. I agree, make FF mandatory and I'll park the bike.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Are you guys serious? The ones who say that if FF helmets were required they'd quit riding? Wow! I don't like FF helmets either, but if that were the law, I'd wear one. Heck, If they forced me to wear a bucket on my head I wouldn't give up riding.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:22 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Are you guys serious? The ones who say that if FF helmets were required they'd quit riding? Wow! I don't like FF helmets either, but if that were the law, I'd wear one. Heck, If they forced me to wear a bucket on my head I wouldn't give up riding.
]
Serious as hell, If you can't enjoy it why do it? I moved out of California because of the dictatorship down there telling me I had to wear a Helmet.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

I think your confusing a motorcycle with an airplane.

Wiz ��
I have a relative who he claimed was severely injured when the parachute on his motorcycle failed to open. (it was a drag racing motorcycle)

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Yes I was wearing a Bell 3/4 helmet (pretty costly for a 17 yr old back then), the face shield took out my teeth, it was called a vari-shield the kind that slides up and down. The Jaw injury was from impact on the the car rain gutter, the base line skull fracture was the deflection of my head and spine from the impact.

I do not remember anything about the accident, just woke up 3 days later in the ICU. From the damage to the car and the impact marks on the helmet the best reconstruction of what happened is when the car went through the stop sign, my bike impacted the car (1968 Chevy Nova) between the front and rear doors, throwing me into the car head first. The frontal impact marks on the helmet (about forehead level) looked to be against the rain gutter taking the majority of the impact and major damage to the helmet at the impact point.

My head probably deflected backwards bringing my face shield then my chin in contact with the car doing the jaw and teeth damage. If I was wearing a FF it might have saved my face some, maybe not, could have killed me - who knows.

Back in 1970, riding gear was not like it is today. Additionally, no MSF or other courses on how to ride back then. I was lucky, but young and dumb on a motorcycle. If MSF existed back then and I had the course, I probably would have anticipated something like that, or been able to lessen the impact with proper braking (brakes were not that good back then either).

Just because you wear a helmet does not mean you will not have injuries, concussion, neck injury and face impact injury are still possible depending on the helmet 1/2, 3/4 or FF. And if you have ever seen one of those plastic injected cheap helmets splinter and crack with an impact they can do some damage to your head also.

Apologize for the long post, just sharing my experience but it is up to the individual to decide what to wear, what to ride and what level of training/experience/risk to take or have. As many posts above have stated helmets do not prevent accidents, just lesson the impact when you have one. Today I ride like every vehicle out there is trying to kill me. So far it has worked for me but I still get that gut feeling or start to jump on the brakes if a car comes up at an intersection to fast or I see the wheels moving after they stop. I expect there is something in my brain that I cannot remember that has that accident embedded in there if that makes sense. Hope this answers your question and is not too much info. Best Regards - CB
Thanks for clarifying that. Regarding the bolded, I know exactly what you mean, because that is when I first started riding. When I took my motorcycle endorsement test it was a written one only. The insurance agent at the time told me a state that in Ohio 90% of the motorcycle accidents happened to riders with less than one year experience. I don't recall a lot of people back then buying motorcycles for the first time in middle age, or riding again in middle age after a long break from it, as you sometimes see nowadays. It may have went on but I didn't recall seeing it. I don't even remember if Ohio had a helmet law back in the seventies or not, but I wore one anyway. It was a Bell 3/4 also. I don't recall much choice in helmets back then anyway. You couldn't just get on an internet and buy cheap stuff from China like you can nowadays. I did eventually buy a no name brand half helmet when I finally bought my first new motorcycle simply because it was the same color as the MC, but I only wore it a few times, prefering the 3/4 at the time as it seemed to fit better. It a helmet is too tight it won't be worn and too loose it might be dangerous if you had an accident.

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
I have been in the commercial insurance claims business for 32 years now. I have seen many things that most people don't see, accidents that would blow your mind, injuries that would make you cry. My business is all about risk and of course on the claims side it's about getting the best possible outcome after a loss. I have always worked on the carrier side of things. I've seen dead riders with eyes wide open and a nice helmet on. But a TBI is much worse for the survivor and their family and I see WAY more of those. My choice is to wear a helmet to minimize the risk to me and my family. Everyone has to make their own assessment of risk and what they are willing to accept. Pretty simple really. Helmet laws are largely in place because of the burden that catastrophic injuries place on society when the injured party or responsible tortfeasor are unable to pay.
and

Originally Posted by C908
Actually it could effect you along with everyone else that rides. We all know when injuries increase and insurance companies pay out more in claims those expenses are passed on to everyone paying for bike or health insurance.
So this is a question for either or both of you. Why don't insurance companies either require the rider to wear a helmet as a condition of the insurance, or offer a discount if the rider wears one? Any time I've ever shopped for insurance I've never been asked about helmet use or what kind.

Originally Posted by Stiggy
When I rode (commuted year round on the bike,) I wore the FF in the winter. Other than that my go-to is a 3/4 that I can wear all day long. I agree, make FF mandatory and I'll park the bike.
I don't know if I'd park the bike completely (maybe) but I'd only be able to ride in temps 65 or below. I've supposedly got one of the best FF helmets made for ventilation and yet if I wear it in extremely hot weather I get lightheaded, even taking the clear screen off. What good is a safer helmet if it causes you to wreck the bike in the first place? Am thinking about a modular helmet but don't know how it would be riding with the chin part way up. Sure it would give more ventilation that way, but would it restrict visibility or cause buffeting? (I have a full height windshield b.t.w.) Plus, having the lower section up would negate the safety benefits of a FF anyway. The one advantage might be when you start out riding and it's cold outside, and it gets hot later. In Ohio sometimes you can easily have 30-40 degree temp swings in the same day, particularly if you're going south on a LD trip.

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 02-03-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
“ If I had to wear a full face helmet I’d quit riding and that’s like wearing a condom with my wife “

I understand that ...... Who in the hell would breed with a someone having the intellectual proske of a valve cap ?

Gee Wiz 🙄

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 02-03-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.