General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:44 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

Someone wise once said............"never discuss politics or religion.".....................I think we can add "wearing motorcycle helmets" to that list!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:52 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Someone wise once said............"never discuss politics or religion.".....................I think we can add "wearing motorcycle helmets" to that list!
Oil threads.
Don't forget oil threads.
Used to be the internet existed for two reasons: **** and arguments about oil.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveE
Do you have a link to “facts”?
Good start right here.....

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 02-10-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Originally Posted by Sierra977
Oil threads.
Don't forget oil threads.
Used to be the internet existed for two reasons: **** and arguments about oil.
Counter steering. Just saying.

Sierra977 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Don't forget the gas cap threads!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I've done a quick search of Florida statutes and can find nothing prohibiting wearing a helmet while operating a motor vehicle. Could be there, but ...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
University Of Texas Medical School San Antonio
Gee, I don't recall physics being in the curriculum at med school.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 AM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I think helmets should be mandatory when using Mobil 1 in a motorcycle with huge lean angles whenever the rider forgets to put his gas cap on after filling up on his way to vote.

Bonnie Storm (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 AM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
I will try to get the exact statute this up coming week. This will be for Fl only. This law pertains to street vehicles only, not vehicles on closed courses. I'm a little busy right now as a good friend died night before last and another going in for cancer surgery in the morning. Not sure as to why my friend died but I can say he was not a rider. While you are waiting for my reply check your own state and see what their position is concerning this matter. You may be surprised at what you find!
I have checked where I live and can find no law against wearing a helmet while driving a car. Did some looking online and found lots of other people with this same question and so far none can find a law against wearing a helmet while driving.

Several people make assumptions that it is illegal but none can provide an actual law.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
The last time I got involved in this kind of discussion, it was in a thread that was started in 2011 about loud pipes, but morphed in and out of including helmet law legislation throughout the next four years until I joined the site and the thread in Oct. of 2015. By the end of Nov. that year, the thread was locked. Never totally understood why, but there ya go.

In all things where the only potential "victim" is the injured party, I am four square in favor of letting that party decide for her/himself how best to protect themselves from other parties. As such, my entire argument came from the perspective that helmet laws are the main injury, maybe really the only injury, to those who would otherwise not choose to wear a helmet if they indeed, had a choice. That injury has limited my freedom to choose since 1991 when CA passed a helmet law. In '92 shortly after the embers of the Rodney King Riots were extinguished, we decided to leave CA for good and moved to AL where a helmet law had been in place since like '62 or '63 if memory serves. I say I have been a "victim" of, for me, what amounts to an extreme intrusion by government into my personal decision-making authorities and rights, because 1) whether right or wrong, I do not believe that helmets do much at all to save lives, and 2) In all my years of riding nothing but Harleys (since age 19 - I just turned 64 this past Friday), I have never laid down my bike(s), not even in my own driveway or lawn while cleaning 'em. Not saying it can't or won't happen someday, but my record of accident avoidance is 100% successful since 1974, as well as the five years before that when I was riding OTHs (Other Than Harleys) from my learner's permit on forward to a ~200 mile ride just yesterday.

I can argue stats and the efficacy of helmets themselves, and I did extensively in that locked thread a few years ago, but my is and always was, if government is the answer to any freedom issue, then people are asking the wrong damned questions. Let those who ride decide, period. I can't imagine that anyone actually would argue with that position, but that thread proved succinctly that many will, which is the main reason I won't go through digging out all the stats and research again...... Well, at least not in this first post in this thread. It's possible that someone could spew some uninformed crap about why my right to decide for myself should be made legally inferior to his/her right to decide for themselves, and I'd just simply have to show them how valid points are made. Let's hope that doesn't happen...... Again!

Blues
Blues, how many miles do average in the seat per year?

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.