General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When your ABS fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:39 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Have you been doing the brake fluid flushes as specified?
his bike is a 2017. it is just now 2019, he probably isn't even due for his first brake fluid flush yet.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
his bike is a 2017. it is just now 2019, he probably isn't even due for his first brake fluid flush yet.
I missed that part when I posted.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
If he bought it after they first hit the streets (September 2016), it is past due.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

At the time you started braking where you going 25 MPH or less? The ABS is only active above 25.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

well this is what happens when you count on technology to do what your brain should be doing.

ABS brakes will lock, once the ABS module reads the sensors,it will adjust accordingly given enough time.

Did you take the pressure off the levers?

HD's own videos and literature say for ABS to work, a consistent force needs to be kept on the levers in order to work.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Just me and my arrow rolling at about 40 MPH. Hell no I barely had time to realize that my rear tire locked up before having to take evasive action. Pucker factor prevails!!!
In your original post you said you "grabbed a bit of the front lever", so I didn't know if you had been pulsing the front brake before you jammed on the rear brake. If you had been pulsing the front brake before jamming on the rear brake, the ABS would not have activated.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,079 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Maybe a good lesson learned...stop following too close.

The following 2 users liked this post by SBRob:
Death Valley Ultra (02-04-2019), Halojumper (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:09 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
If he bought it after they first hit the streets (September 2016), it is past due.
9/17 was when I took delivery. Shortly thereafter was when I had my first motorcycle related ABS instance and it worked as it is supposed to. Actually the scenarios where pretty close, the one yesterday that is with the first.

In your original post you said you "grabbed a bit of the front lever", so I didn't know if you had been pulsing the front brake before you jammed on the rear brake. If you had been pulsing the front brake before jamming on the rear brake, the ABS would not have activated.
Not sure why I even went for the rear brake as that is out of character for me. I was going about 40 and was a bit closer than I should have been but the driver in front of me came up slow quick because of the blue lights up front.

I posted for a heads up and a warning to others more than anything. HD dealership will be checking it out ASAP.

The following users liked this post:
tomcatg (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

its good that you did go for the rear brake. front and rear combined, will give you the best stopping power, certainly better than just the front brake alone (as long as everything is in good working order, of course). and since you picked up your bike in 9/17, you're still under warranty. if you need your hcu replaced, it's on their dime not yours.... also curious, do you have esp?

that's why i said 'probably'. there was a small window where he would have been due/past due if he was an early adopter.

Originally Posted by dceggert
At the time you started braking where you going 25 MPH or less? The ABS is only active above 25.

not exactly correct. the linked brakes are not active below 25mph, but the abs is still active.

Last edited by skratch; 02-03-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
9/17 was when I took delivery. Shortly thereafter was when I had my first motorcycle related ABS instance and it worked as it is supposed to. Actually the scenarios where pretty close, the one yesterday that is with the first.

Not sure why I even went for the rear brake as that is out of character for me. I was going about 40 and was a bit closer than I should have been but the driver in front of me came up slow quick because of the blue lights up front.

I posted for a heads up and a warning to others more than anything. HD dealership will be checking it out ASAP.
I guess my point about your ABS incident is there are a specific set of conditions that cause it to activate. You said you grabbed for the front brake first before you went for the rear brake. I'm guessing that may have been the condition that deactivated the ABS system. Nevertheless, definitely have it checked out by the dealer. You might as well have them flush your brake fluid while it's hooked up to the Digital Technician II and have them install the new and improved brake fluid. Report back with the findings.

Quick Reply: When your ABS fails