General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When your ABS fails

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:57 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Default When your ABS fails

Yeah, good time for sure. Out for a great ride today, nothing but sunny skies and upper fifties. I was rolling down a rural road when I see blue lights flashing down the road. Out of habit and curiosity I edge the bike towards the center line wanting to have a clue if I was going to have to make a U turn but the van in front of me, nobody in front of him was way over the double solid yellow lines. All of a sudden the van decides it is time to jump on the brakes and I was admittedly too close. I grabbed a bit of the front lever but jammed the rear and the frigging thing locked up. NOT what one expects with ABS.

This is only the second time since owning this bike that I have had to push the envelope up but the first time it didn't do what it was supposed to do. I will be taking it to a dealership ASAP.

I guess I am posting for the most part to warn and check your own ABS. When you instinctively count on something and it doesn't work properly when you are counting on it, this causes HUGE pucker factor.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:01 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,112 Likes on 11,090 Posts

You should practice threshold braking every 6 months. Engage the ABS in a vacant parking lot so you know it's working and what it feels like when you stand on the brakes.
If the system fails, isn't there a warning light?

Last edited by upflying; 02-02-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:11 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Originally Posted by upflying
You should practice threshold braking every 6 months. Engage the ABS in a vacant parking lot so you know it's working and what it feels like when you stand on the brakes.

Touche, pays to know the variables before TSHTF moment.

If the system fails, isn't there a warning light?
My eyes must have been as big as basketballs but by the time I regained composure I noticed nothing as far as errors.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the way it works is....the ABS light(yellow) will blink when you start up the bike. After you start moving, if the system is ok, the light will go out. If the light does not go out, that indicates a malfunction.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I’ve had the same thing happen with my rear but it didn’t stay locked, the abs did kick in. I’m assuming you were on the Road Glide? I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of weight transfer and basically “unloading” the rear when braking hard.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-02-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Just curious how fast you were going at the time. Were you engine braking? Were you modulating or pumping the front brake right before you hit the rear brake?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Originally Posted by BobRR
I think the way it works is....the ABS light(yellow) will blink when you start up the bike. After you start moving, if the system is ok, the light will go out. If the light does not go out, that indicates a malfunction.
There were no out of the ordinary lights prior to issue.

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
I’ve had the same thing happen with my rear but it didn’t stay locked, the abs did kick in. I’m assuming you were on the Road Glide? I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of weight transfer and basically “unloading” the rear when braking hard.
Yes I was on the Road Glide, 2017 Special.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Just curious how fast you were going at the time. Were you engine braking? Were you modulating or pumping the front brake right before you hit the rear brake?
Just me and my arrow rolling at about 40 MPH. Hell no I barely had time to realize that my rear tire locked up before having to take evasive action. Pucker factor prevails!!!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,144 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Have you been doing the brake fluid flushes as specified?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
......................I grabbed a bit of the front lever but jammed the rear and the frigging thing locked up. NOT what one expects with ABS............
What locked up?
And how fast was you rolling?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
You should practice threshold braking every ride. Engage the ABS in a vacant parking lot so you know it's working and what it feels like when you stand on the brakes.
Fixed it for you.

Now, to the OP~
When I first opened up your thread, I thought it was going to be a "Got zero brakes due to ABS module failure."
Glad it isn't that. Also glad to hear you didn't make contact with the vehicle in front of you. Also that when your ABS brakes malfunctioned they allowed you to skid. Skidding is better than nothing! (Skidding may allow shorter stops than ABS, but don't tell anyone that.) ABS may have let you run into the vehicle in front of you, if it were working as designed....

Quick Reply: When your ABS fails