General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer beware – Viking Bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts
Default Buyer beware – Viking Bags

I’ve never had such a negative experience with a vendor that I felt compelled to post about it in an online forum, but I guess there’s a first time for everything. It’s detailed…

I purchased a set of bags for my Dyna Low Rider. The specific model bag I purchased was called: “Viking Lamellar Large Leather Shock Cutout Hard Saddlebags For Harley Dyna Low Rider FXDL.” So one might reasonably conclude the bags would actually fit an FXDL. The instructions are so generic, I wouldn’t be surprised if they provide the same instructions with all their bags. In essence they tell you to mount the bags with the provided hardware and make sure the bags don’t contact the bike. There are no specific fitments notes about clearances to maintain between the bags the bike, or any info about recommended mounting position. You’re on your own here.

I spent over an hour Googling pictures of Dynas with bags, taking measurements, and doing everything I could think of to find the best way of mounting them. They say measure twice cut once I usually measure around 5 times before I cut, or in this case, drill holes in the bags.

It was not possible to mount the bags with the provided hardware, the bolts are too short. It was clear early on that these bags were a generic set of bags, not something specifically designed for my bike, despite the product name. I ended up purchasing bolts long enough so I could install just about every spacer in the mounting kit. Even with all those, the bottom of the bags hit the rear axle during suspension travel. There were a set of metal clips in the kit which are designed to tilt the bottom of the bags outward by 3 degrees. When installed, there’s “daylight” between the L clip and the hardware it’s contacting. So when the bolts were tightened, the clips bent and deformed. So the clips were unusable. There was simply no way to tighten the bags sufficiently without the clips bending from the pressure. I have no idea how they could sell these clips because they simply can’t work without bending.

During all this trial and error, I emailed Viking’s “24x7 customer support” but never got a reply. When I called, they said allow 48 hours to hear back. No one ever called back. I tried contacting several times. I sent pictures. Never got a single reply.

I made additional changes. Got longer bolts, bought more spacers…still hitting the axle nuts. I eventually took some JB Weld and used it on the clips to shape them into solid wedges. This eliminated the “daylight”, and since they were now solid, I could tighten the bolts and the clips wouldn’t bend. I also bought even more spacers. I ended up redrilling the bags to mount them even higher. (I ended up filling the holes on my bags with fiberglass). Finally I got the bags securely mounted where they wouldn’t touch the bike during suspension travel. The gap between the bags and the bike is pretty ridiculous though.

Other problems…the bags are not leather. Just some stuff made to look like leather glued on. There are a number of tiny cap nuts for the hinges and latches. All of them have worked loose and needed thread locker to stay put, or they’d work loose and fall off during rides. (Fortunately this happens on the inside and they don’t get lost). Some of the hinges have started to come loose and there’s no way to tighten them. I haven’t figured out how I’ll solve that issue.

Since Viking never bothered to help through all this, I requested an exchange, which of course they denied. The denial was the first actual reply I ever got from them. I tried the dispute process with my credit card, but that was a huge waste of time. When Viking replied to the dispute, they lied about almost everything. I wish I did more research before purchasing, because it turns out there are many complaints against Viking. The Better Business Bureau opened an investigation into the company, but Viking didn’t reply to them either.

On the BBB website: “Alert - In June 2018, BBB investigated Viking Bag’s business practices. BBB has received information this business may be sending incomplete orders or the merchandise may be defective. Lastly, consumers are not able to reach the business. BBB contacted Viking Bags regarding business practice concerns, the business did not respond.”

Sounds familiar. I recently saw a Viking ad, them proclaiming they are “Saddlebag experts.” They’re experts all right.

Viking should provide hardware that actually fits the bike they are selling the bags for. They should provide some fitment instructions. They should actually care, and respond to customers who have issues. You know, like 99% of the other companies out there. So that was my experience. Your mileage may vary.

I’m actually embarrassed to have these bags on my bike. I need them for my commutes to work now, but hopefully during the next year I can replace them with something else. These bags belong in a landfill.

The following 4 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
1madmouse (06-08-2019), cobalt07 (06-27-2021), mo cajun (02-04-2019), Ytcoinshooter (09-28-2023)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Leatherpros saddlebags. Buy once, cry once and they stand behind their product.

The following 2 users liked this post by Qdog002:
IdahoHacker (03-03-2019), IzzoQuazzo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:12 PM
emingin
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a set of Viking saddlebags for my Sportster. Like you, I found the instructions to be less than desirable. The hardware was completely wrong and I had to make a trip to the hardware store to get what I needed. Once installed, the bags were mostly OK, but there are some things I wish they'd done better.

I did not bother to contact them, so I can't comment about customer service, or lack of. I will say if I had to do it again, I'd go with a different option.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,079 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I have a set on my low rider, yes their mounting hardware sucks, just go to great bike gear and order a set of easy brackets, then you can remove them in seconds if desired.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Funny, if you search google for cheap saddle bags Viking is the first to show up, hmmm? I have yet to find cheap and good in the same product.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:53 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

I looked at bags for my '18 Heritage on the Viking website. I found some listed for an '18 Heritage but they showed the model as FLSTC, which is '17 and prior models. I tried to sort it out with their online chat but simply could not get it through the thick head of the person on the other end that there are significant differences between an FLSTC and FLHCS. They finally told me basically go ahead and buy them but it's on you if they don't fit. I emailed them twice after that and they never responded.

Sorry to hear about your sad experience but not surprised.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 AM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,874 Likes on 7,720 Posts

I’m thinking Viking bags are not designed for Harley’s. I bought a set from them for a Honda Shadow, I was looking for a budget set of bags because I didn’t want to dump a bunch of money in a bike with no resale value. The bags I got fit good, the instructions were vague and I needed one run to the hardware shop for the correct metric bolts. Other than that the bags were ok and functioned well.
I don’t recall any complaints on the Shadow forums about them but on here every couple of months a thread pops up about how crappy they are.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by emingin
I got a set of Viking saddlebags for my Sportster. Like you, I found the instructions to be less than desirable. The hardware was completely wrong and I had to make a trip to the hardware store to get what I needed. Once installed, the bags were mostly OK, but there are some things I wish they'd done better.

I did not bother to contact them, so I can't comment about customer service, or lack of. I will say if I had to do it again, I'd go with a different option.
This is exactly what I would have said except mine were for a '07 DYNA WG rather than Sportster.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM
LXT
Road Master
Received 556 Likes on 341 Posts

So let me see if I get this.... you purchased an Item that you found out didn't fit or fit properly? you made modifications to it with hardware & JB weld? and it still didn't fit...…?

why upon initial fitting and finding out it didn't work - did you not call get an RA# and send them back? I have purchased several Viking products & know others who have as well - it just takes a small amount of reasonable mechanical ability to figure it out but not to the extent of JB weld...……. Vikings products are just as good as Saddlemen`s products - actually if you look at several of their items it would appear that only the name tag is different.

I am very happy with my past Viking purchase`s and so are many riders I know - the customer service has been good to me but I have heard stories....? perhaps from customers who have done similar as the OP, all in all as far as I am concerned I would definitely buy from them again, I see this as "customers fault" sorry - but if they didn't fit, you modified beyond longer bolts or hardware - "JB weld" to get an item to fit & fit right...! you should of sent them back & then your CC company would of backed you - they're not gonna back you on a modified by you product. this isn't buyer beware this is buyer should of SENT the wrong fitting product back!!!! it would be interesting to see pictures of this & the product part number as well year of bike & any mods that were done. stuff like this happens at the dealer as well - some one buys a part - it doesn't fit & they slam the dealer, then a response comes back that the part was never for that bike to begin with or the customer didn't mention they modified their bike and now that part wont work... either way - send it back & if they screw you out of money then bitch - but don't bitch when you knew the bags (see below) & then you modify them - did you want Viking to take back your JB welded, multiple hole drilled masterpiece? C`mon man...!

Your quote:

"It was not possible to mount the bags with the provided hardware, the bolts are too short. It was clear early on that these bags were a generic set of bags, not something specifically designed for my bike"

Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 AM
mcgee10
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

This saddens me to here this I have always had very good dealing with Viking bags. But I will give you mounting them can be a chore, I think they over strap there bags so they can be fitted on any bike. I know there bags I have I removed most all of there straps. When I need bags I look to them first. Good luck with your.

Quick Reply: Buyer beware – Viking Bags