General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:56 PM
irogers
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet advice

Hello all, I usually just lurk around and take in info from everyone here and I almost never post.. I Did some searches and couldn’t really find what I was looking for..

I ride a raked big wheel FLHX. After almost 10 years of riding a street glide I’m looking to get a full face helmet for myself and my wife. We previously had half helmets that were only worn when we crossed the border into states that had a helmet law. Personally neither one of us liked the half helmets. 99% of the time we went without a helmet.

Does anyone have a helmet they would recommend above others? I’ve tried on quite a few, but as you know most places won’t let you test ride a helmet. My biggest worries are wind noise.. And yes, I’m aware there is going to be wind noise no matter what...

Disclaimer: I’m not looking to get into a debate on whether helmets are/aren’t cool.. Just asking for some advice from those that wear them.

Thanks all!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:03 PM
KyBourbon
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I like Arai, it fits my head shape the best. I found each manufacturer had a different fit. Cycle gear will let you return one of it doesn’t work out.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:09 PM
irogers
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KyBourbon
I like Arai, it fits my head shape the best. I found each manufacturer had a different fit. Cycle gear will let you return one of it doesn’t work out.

Ill take a look there! Thanks for the info!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I like shoe, currently wearing a modular.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,124 Likes on 1,621 Posts

You really need to find what helmets fit your head. 20 years ago I wore Shoei, now I wear Bell, I think my head got fatter and rounder as I aged.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Shoei GT Air is my current helmet of choice. I love the drop down sun shield behind the face shield

Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Cwood8656
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts

My FF helmet is a Shark RSR. Fits me great, but everybody has a different shaped head. Try to find a shop with knowledgeable sales people.

Chris-

Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 PM
FLYH2O
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the quality of Arai helmets but they don’t fit me. I have a Shoei RF1200 now and its a great fit and I bought a transitions shield. No need to change the shield at dark or bright days.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 PM
irogers
Intermediate

Thanks everyone! With your experiences running different helmets, is the one you’re currently wearing better/worse with wind noise, compared to past helmets? Obviously it depends on what bike you ride as well.. My biggest concern is the hearing loss I already have. I wear custom formed ear plugs when I ride to cut down on the sharpness of the wind noise. With adding a helmet, and wearing the ear plugs, I’m also concerned if I’ll even be able to hear my stupidly over powered sound system at interstate speeds, or if the wind noise will be amplified with the helmet.

Thanks again for the great info already!

Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 PM
BKay
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The helmet I liked was the 4 piece helmet at hd. the only problem is they only make them to 2x and my big fat head won't fit. Only a couple hundred aand you can use the pieces as you wish

Quick Reply: Helmet advice