Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Ruff idle and dies (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1270017-ruff-idle-and-dies.html)

DBurns INC 02-04-2019 04:46 PM

Ruff idle and dies

I am having a issue with my 2009 street glide running Ruff and dying at idle.
What I recently found was that I had a bad spark plug wire and have since replaced them and plugs.
Hopefully not, but I am thinking that the front cylinder is damaged. Thing is she runs fine through the gears and at riding speeds.
Baffled at the moment.

u wish u could ride 02-04-2019 07:05 PM

.I had a similar problem with my 2008 I did some trick with the ignition switch(key) not handle bar switch on /off in a sequence within a timeframe. resetting the ecu I found the info someplace on this forum.sorry I couldn't give more info but it worked for me.mine was like the bike was in limp mode on idle .

seniorsuperglideE8 02-04-2019 07:45 PM

Have you tried cleaning the Idle Air Control (IAC)? Look in the throttle bore and there is a little hole towards the top, sometimes they will get sluggish from the oil vapors going through the throttle. The IAC assists in controlling the idle.

Bubba Zanetti 02-05-2019 09:46 AM

A few things come to mind.
1) Variable Speed Sensor is dirty or defective
2) Fuel filter is dirty
3) Pinhole in the fuel line (inside the gas tank)

I had an 03 Road King acting like you described. I cleaned the Variable Speed Sensor, which didn't work, so I replaced it. Still had the problem so I pulled the tank off and removed the fuel filter and fuel lines inside the tank. Sure enough a tiny pinhole in the fuel line was causing low fuel pressure and would let the bike die at stop signs or idle.

Iron lHorse 02-05-2019 09:58 AM

Could be bad gas in the tank , check this first thing.
also could be a bad fuel pump or a hole in your fuel pump hose that inside the gas tank .

nevil 02-05-2019 12:09 PM

What makes you think you damaged a cylinder?

DBurns INC 02-06-2019 09:57 AM

Interesting, I did add some 12" apes, stretched the factory wiring to the max. But that has been at least 4 months ago....I will check that out...

DBurns INC 02-06-2019 09:58 AM

Damn, got all excited about this reply. Great tip, but seems for earlier models. My glide is a 2009, didn't seem to have it. I even looked at some YouTube videos on the AIC.

DBurns INC 02-06-2019 10:02 AM

I need to order that specialty tool for removing the gas tank cover/door. I am not paying Harley for another $10 filter with $600 dollars worth of labor.
But I think you are on the right track...

DBurns INC 02-06-2019 10:17 AM

WAG
Wild ass guess.
I had a bad spark plug wire on that cylinder, and it took me a spell to catch it...
That can't be it however, she runs too good at speeds......not even a hiccup.