General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Motor Company

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:16 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

You know, brand loyalty is a crazy thing. That said, I doubt the old "win on Sunday sell on Monday" thing applies AT ALL anymore. First off, most dealers are closed on Monday. More correctly, while winning races might attract some buyers, or at least give Indian owners something to brag about, no street bike in the Indian line shares anything except paint scheme with the FTR750! That includes the FTR1200! Sure, the same can be said of Harley's XR, even though many still point out that it began life kinda sorta based on Sportster engines. Virtually every other bike in the paddock though, including the XG, shares parentage with a bike you CAN buy at any dealer. No, it sure isn't the same engine. Most aren't even close anymore, but that's what they started from. When AFT bought GNC from AMA (that's a lot of acronyms!) they indicated it would become a production based sport. That was the (eventual) death knell for the race-only XR right out of the gate!

Three years ago AFT gave Indian a pass to enter a specifically designed, race only engine - for two years. Even if it hadn't won a single race, AFT had every right to change the rules this year. They'd have been perfectly within their rights to BAN the Indian since they haven't built a production bike on the same (general) design. Indian knew that before Joe Kopp rode the first FTR.

It's no secret that the FTR is a reverse engineered XR engine with all the modern updates Harley could have made but neglected to - kinda. Polaris took everything the XR was and added what it lacked. Good for them!

It's hard to get anyone who knows to talk about, but obviously H-D decided it would cost just as much to start over as to improve a 50 year-old design - maybe. Then of course there is that pledge by AFT years ago to make this a production based sport... Enter the XG. That project began, or at least the decision was made, about the same time Polaris began the FTR project. It was a gamble by both companies. The podium tells the rest of it - so far.

IF the XG starts winning, EVERYONE is now going to cry foul because of the better breathing allowance for everyone but Indian. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion. While few admit it, the XG has been improving. The MoCo has some GREAT pilots! I've watched Sammy win races on three totally different bikes and two different surfaces in the same weekend. The guy can ride ANYTHING. Vanderkooi is equally talented. What of Bryan Smith going back to Kawasaki? How about J.D. and his Yamaha? And who would count Jared and Brier out (not to mention Bronbo!) simply because of this change? This is not just about H-D & Indian!!!!! This is about keeping the races exciting and unpredictable. Nothing in this rule change is anything Indian has a legitimate complaint about. People say make it fair. Indian entered AFT with an allowed advantage - with a limit on it. The limit is expired! This decision is making it fair - again.

BTW - If anyone does run an XR 750, they'll be restricted to the same size as Indian!

Last edited by username already exists; 02-10-2019 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Default The Motor Company

I stand corrected,did not realize it was two year waver for Indian. When I'm wrong I'll admit it. I would still like to see triumph give it a real consertied effort with a real factory team. I think it would be good for them and the sport. Alot of talented riders out there. Sammy is awesome and so is Shania. I can remember her dad Randy racing and the flying farmer George Roder. I saw Yovon DeHamil race flat track Dick Mann, Gary Nixon and the Palmgram brothers too. Al Wilcox was the starter. That was the 60's and the early 70's. Middletown N.Y. was the track.My old man use to take us to the races, it was great times and great memories. I still have signed race programs from back then. No offence to us Harley guys,but Gary Nixon was my favorite. I remember him getting the checkered flag from Al Wilcox, he tucked it under his arm and proceeded to wheelie his Bonnieville around the entire track,not once did the front tire hit the ground until he got back to the starting line. Went into the pits and shook hands with him, I was in awe. They were great times for sure. I still love flat track,wish my old man was still here to watch it with me. That was 1968.

Last edited by TheMurf; 02-10-2019 at 04:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMurf:
hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019), username already exists (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 06:58 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

All's cool Murf! I own various brands of bikes. I do have a soft spot for my Harley's, but I got over being snobby about it forty years ago. I just love flat track racing and want to see it prosper no matter who wins on what. The more brands there are in the paddock, the more brands that get on the podium, that's good for the sport and everyone involved. When the same guys win every week, the others get tired of traveling to races they don't have a chance of winning. That hurts everyone involved, including the guys who do win. Some Nationals had less than 40 riders sign-up last year! That's pretty sad.

Gary Nixon certainly was larger than life. Of course later in his career, he even ran Kawasaki's! There's a local legend about a hometown racer. A guy with a promising career at one point. Nixon put him into the guardrail during a National at Hagerstown one time and after the race __________ walked over and punched Gary right in the mouth. Gary Nixon may have been the first flat track guy to truly work on a fitness regime as part of his training. He was famous for one-handed push-ups. He had a lot in common with Jared Mees and Jared has mentioned that he is one of those he admires from the sport. Not sure if it took kahunas or lunacy to pick a fight with him, but it eventually turned out okay.

Racers. They're a different breed.

hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:13 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

York, PA. 1967 National. #52 Ronnie Rall, #44 Thomas Heil, #77 Chris Draayer, #18 Mert Lawwill, #31 Don Twigg, #64 Billy Lloyd, #9 Gary Nixon
Don't remember who's on what but I know there are Harleys, BSA, Triumph and possibly other brands in this photo by the late Bob Myers and the order was different each week!

hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 821 Posts

I've been following flat track since the late 1950's. Having had uncles who raced, I grew up at the race track. I was fortunate enough to see Resweber, Markel, Roeder (my favorite rider, Roeder's are family friends), Nixon, Rall, Aldana, Mann, Scott, Roberts, Keener, Beauchamp, Kidd, Morehead, Springer, Shobert, Carr, Atherton, Parker, Lawill, Nix, Mees, Halbert, Smith, and all the rest over the last 55+ years. I know Parker has the most GNC Championships, and National wins, but, imho, the best flat track racer I ever saw was Ricky Graham. I've seen almost all of the greats at one time or another, but I've seen Ricky Graham do things on a motorcycle I've never seen anyone else able to do.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 02-10-2019 at 07:44 PM.
username already exists (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Default The Motor Company

Wow, thanks for posting and sharing the story and the pictures. I was just a kid, you guys have brought back some memories. Thank you. I agree seeing the same bike and the same team win every week is not good for the fans or the sport. I would love to see some more brands out there but it's expensive. We are all motorcycle breathern and our love for the sport the machines and the folks who ride and race them keeps us United. Thanks again.

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMurf:
hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019), username already exists (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:44 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

I thought I had a photo of Shayna on the Triumph, but it was from 15 when she was riding the Crosley Kaw. BRob was riding Triumph that year. Found this from 14 on the interwebs though. You'll notice it was before she got her national number and was still running Randy's (her dad) #25(a)

Last edited by username already exists; 02-10-2019 at 07:47 PM.
hd4evr2008 (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 821 Posts

Personal pic of a young George Roeder, Can't remember where this was taken. I was probably 10 or 11 years old:

username already exists (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

I'm really hijacking this thread, but watch out for this tiny lady this year to. She's pretty remarkable on so many levels!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
...I've seen Ricky Graham do things on a motorcycle I've never seen anyone else able to do.
You're not the first person I've heard say that about Ricky Graham! He truly was one of the greats. Imagine what might have been without having to fight his personal demons.

There is so much great history to this wonderful sport, but I truly believe we're seeing some of the best riders today. The bikes are faster and the equipment is better, but they've become truly "professional." That alone has required taking things to the next level. Gary Nixon had his training regime, bit it was a personal thing and pretty rare back then. Today, daily, year-round physical training is downright necessary to be competitive. These kids (hey, I'm old) are remarkable athletes!

hd4evr2008 (02-11-2019)