General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35 deg, F it I知 riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFavRk
Right on , I'll ride until it gets just below 30* but I wear all my gear and plug in , nice and toasty warm .. It's not so bad when The sun is shining . I do notice that I'm usually the only one out . Gotta get out every chance you have cause it's a long 6 month winter here ... Good on yah !!
30's and sunny isnt too bad, I'll ride down to the mid teens with heated gear. Its all in how you gear up and you're right, riding in winter even in the blue ridge area is pretty lonely, lol!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

I salute you! I'll ride cold, just can't take the salty roads here (Rochester NY near Buffalo). A younger me that had no car for 2 years, rode year round and would hit the spray it yourself car wash if it got above freezing to wash salt off. Good gear makes it fine. Frostbit 2 toes on my left foot once in a lake effect snowstorm that dropped 5 inches while I was at work. Had to ride home with foot down about 10 miles. Good times.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:21 AM
Bwall77
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
I salute you! I'll ride cold, just can't take the salty roads here (Rochester NY near Buffalo). A younger me that had no car for 2 years, rode year round and would hit the spray it yourself car wash if it got above freezing to wash salt off. Good gear makes it fine. Frostbit 2 toes on my left foot once in a lake effect snowstorm that dropped 5 inches while I was at work. Had to ride home with foot down about 10 miles. Good times.
now thats hard core

Old 02-10-2019, 07:48 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I rode for about an hour in 18 degree weather on New Years day. I normally don't ride when it's that cold, but my neighbor, who also rides, spends the winter in Florida, and via a text message he bet me that I wouldn't ride on January 1. Now he owes me one whole beer. (Sheesh. The things a guy will do for a free beer.) I wore long-johns under bib overalls, 2 pairs of heavy socks, long sleeve T shirt, long sleeve insulated shirt, pair of cold weather Carhartt bibs, and a heavy leather jacket. Full face helmet and a neck scarf and a pair of plain ol' brown jersey gloves under a pair of insulated HD leather winter gloves. Only thing that got cold were my fingers. Everything else was fine.

I avoid riding when the roads are snowy or icy. I've ridden in some light flurries that sneaked up on me, but not in any condition that made the roads slick or icy.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Currently 22deg here but will be 36 by around 1pm. I’ll be out around noon. Rained for two days which nicely washed the roads clean of salt so that’s one less concern. I’ve got Memphis shades hand protectors which make a big difference on the fingers. I don’t ever feel the need for heated gear, I’ve got some excellent 100% windproof layers that makes it competely comfortable.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:08 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I got to ride my trade over 100 miles to pick up my Sport Glide, starting at 31F. Next weekend rode again to get heated grips installed. That's three 100 mile trips in sub 35F temperatures, with no heated grips or gear. To say it was cold would be an understatement, but it was fun anyway. That return leg with heated grips was awesome though!

I usually commute no matter the temp as long as the roads are clean, but I only have 10 miles to go, so I never get a chance to experience what cold can do at high speed over a long stretch. That chill is hard to get rid off...

Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

These are fantastic at keeping hands warm. Expensive, but worth every penny.

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/wate...ined-maverick/

Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

It wasn't that long ago (< 10 years?) that one winter I rode the bike to work everyday (41 miles one way,) but one Monday when we got 3" of snow. Coldest morning, 14 degrees. Electric gloves, FF helmet, 3 layers upper body, long johns, then jeans, the leg warmers (over my knees,) and then the chaps. It took 10 minutes to get dressed and 10 minutes to get undressed for work. (The afternoons going home was much less effort.
I believe that experience has left me wanting to ride when it's T shirt whether nowadays.....I have other, warmer fun things to drive )

Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

25* yesterday, had to go for a few hours.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:23 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
You guys are hard core. I gotta get some cold weather gear but all that stuff starts to add up quick like everything else.
get it in the summer and one item at a time

Quick Reply: 35 deg, F it I知 riding