General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleed brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Jason Double
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bleed brakes

Hi people just installed braided lines on bike having a nightmare bleeding brakes the traditional way.nothing seems to be happening s only way I know lol,, any advice ,,or should I buy the brake bleeding tool cheers people

Old 02-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Double
Hi people just installed braided lines on bike having a nightmare bleeding brakes the traditional way.nothing seems to be happening s only way I know lol,, any advice ,,or should I buy the brake bleeding tool cheers people
It's easier with 2 people but first is it an ABS type motorcycle ? If not to bleed the front pump the brake lever a few times , have the brake nipple on the caliper just home and as you hold down the lever break the nipple free just a little, till it takes the lever in a bit then tighten the nipple off,fill reservoir, repeat a few times till it's tight at the lever. Similar for rear.
Peace.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Buy one of these and follow the brake bleeding instructions in your Harley Davidson Service Manual.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mityva...ump-39522.html

The following 2 users liked this post by RK4ME:
Bama Lee (02-12-2019), username already exists (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:39 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,625 Likes on 576 Posts

Or to make life much easier you could invest in a set of these;

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/stah...-valve-245978/

Old 02-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Jason Double
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Agoober
It's easier with 2 people but first is it an ABS type motorcycle ? If not to bleed the front pump the brake lever a few times , have the brake nipple on the caliper just home and as you hold down the lever break the nipple free just a little, till it takes the lever in a bit then tighten the nipple off,fill reservoir, repeat a few times till it's tight at the lever. Similar for rear.
Peace.
that's what I'm doing but nothing happening at all,, done before with success but not with everything being empty and sorry not abs

Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Manual brakes or ABS? You tube has a video. Buy the bleeder. $25.00 at harbor freight.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:32 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Make sure to practices safe sex, when you breed those brakes.

You have a big air bubble trapped somewhere. I would bleed the master cylinder on the bench, then attach the hose, and bleed down the line, to get most the air out, then attach the line to the caliper and bleed until all traces or air are gone. Sometimes you have to apply pressure to the master and leave it applied overnight, if you have a really stubborn bubble in there.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

that's what I'm doing but nothing happening at all,, done before with success but not with everything being empty and sorry not abs
Ok first off which brake are you having trouble with??? Front or Rear???
If rear then the brake bleeding tool is your friend.
If front just tape the leaver back and leave it over night with the wheel turned to the left, sometimes it helps to either tap the brake line in many places or start the bike and let it idle for a few minutes.

As for breeding brakes turn on some **** and leave out a tube of ky and they should handle the rest themselves...

Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Have you tried stabbing it?
Never trust anything that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die.
Seriously, it's a pain...keep at it.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

I took an old electric medical vaccum pump and been using it for years to bleed brakes , suck transmission fluid out cars and trucks before droppimg the pan, along with pulling the primary oil of of the bike. Works really well, plus you can dial in just how much vaccum you want.

Quick Reply: Bleed brakes