General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dedicated Navigation or Smartphone Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Used the Nuvi 660 for the trip to Sturgis last year and it performed like a champ ! My one problem was keeping the earphones in my ear !...b.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM
5280Ruffian
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I like the phone because the maps are updated regularly. I had a Nuvi 255 that I loved. I had it hardwired to power on 3 different bikes. The maps were really outdated though, and it was $50 to update. I switched to my phone at that time and I haven't looked back.

As for apps, I like Waze. So much so, that I currently BETA test their software. Their real(ish) time traffic updates help save time and frustration from traffic jams.

I paid for Garmin iPhone app back in 2015 (since been discontinued, but since it's already on my phone...) and it allows me to use GPS when I don't have signal. Having two mapping apps was the key. One for when I have signal, one for when I don't.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Zumo. Period. People can rationalize the use of a phone all they want; the real reason is always cost. I don’t need voice commands, music or incoming calls/messages/notifications; if I have time for all that I’m on the wrong road (freeway?)
My Zumo functions reliably in all manner of weather and needs no cell signal (maybe wrong road again) or app.
As far as “getting lost” and discovering new stuff; try that mode in some parts of North America and you’ll easily discover how far you can go out of gas.....

Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Zumo. Period. People can rationalize the use of a phone all they want; the real reason is always cost. I don’t need voice commands, music or incoming calls/messages/notifications; if I have time for all that I’m on the wrong road (freeway?)
My Zumo functions reliably in all manner of weather and needs no cell signal (maybe wrong road again) or app.
As far as “getting lost” and discovering new stuff; try that mode in some parts of North America and you’ll easily discover how far you can go out of gas.....
Cell signal is not required for phone navigation. There are so many people that are totally wrong in thinking that it does. I don't know what the comment regarding weather is about.

As for as the last sentence, it shows your youth, inexperience, or both.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Cellphone. Much easier to use and navigate

Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM
lloyd123
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The last thing I want when I am riding is a Nav. system. Some of the best times are had are because you dont know where you are. It is a shame some of you will never get to experience it.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:31 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have a zumo that I have had and used for years and still do on my King. I have the HD Nav system in my street glide and Android Auto in my truck. I will take the Garmin every time. I pre-plan most routes for vacations and or long rides to area's that I haven't been. I also usually have paper maps with me in case I want to sit around in the evening and look around when I don't have my computer with me.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

My bike don't have navigation so I mount either my Garmin or the phone. I prefer the Garmin because it's more intuitive than the phone for me.
Having GPS frees me up in that I can ride around without having to worry about how I got there.
At the end of the day just punch in the hotel and it takes me to my door.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 PM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,543 Likes on 2,507 Posts

The phone seems to be smarter then me, so theirs my pick. Wife has the GPS in her car and the damn thing sucks.

rk classic.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM
grossmon
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touchscreen vs Phone

I have nav on my 2016 Street Glide Special, but half the time it won't accept the info I'm trying to type in. The phone ALWAYS works!

Quick Reply: Dedicated Navigation or Smartphone Navigation